Well Gibson is not the only one

_pete_

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Is it really such a bad thing??

Shouldnt the bottomline be how the instrument plays and sounds.....

...back in the day before forums became commonplace, I, as well as many others looked favourably on chambered instruments, for one they were lighter, and it was usually seen as an upgraded feature....

• Members

I never said it was bad.

After all, 'Les' is more.

never said YOU did, but it does seem to be the general argument on forums that people use against Gibson.... so I dont know if its an actual sentiment or just people looking for another reason to Gibson bash.... and now probably PRS...

• Members

never said YOU did, but it does seem to be the general argument on forums that people use against Gibson.... so I dont know if its an actual sentiment or just people looking for another reason to Gibson bash.... and now probably PRS...

The only problem I had with it was that Gibson has been doing it on LP's for at least a year and never mentioned it or touted it as a feature until the X-ray pic started circulating on the web.

A quick look at the PRS website has no mention of weight relief or chambering either.

• Members

This was just posted on TGP:

* On the PRS website, the product videos on each product page say that the 245 and the 250 are weight relieved. Theyre not hiding anything.

* It was also in the press release for the new models before they hit the shops.

* Every interview/review ive seen about the new SC's has stated in black & white that the 245s and 250s (and chris hendersons) are weight relieved.

* The new tremonti tremelo isnt.

* "Pre-lawsuit" singlecuts arent. PRS started getting a lot of bad feedback from dealers saying the guitars were too heavy and were putting a lot of people off. PRS himself didnt want to do it but as a strong supply of lightweight mahogany is no longer available, its the only option without changing tonewoods completely.

* The pictures floating around on the other thread show two PRS's. The one with the slot routes is a 245 and is the same routing pattern as a 250 give or take a few mm's due to the stoptail positioning. The second picture with the large chambers is the limited run of semi-hollow singlecuts which are made as Orville Gibson intended hollowbodies to be made from the start

My faith in PRS has been restored.

• Members

I did not need an Xray to see that the VM was "Hollow" I knew from the time I picked it up it was a POS not to mention the sharp frets, neck heavy

bad build quality all around, sent it back tried another ..same crap

the VM is NOT a solid body guitar as advertised, it is however an over priced

Gibson, some like the VM, more power to them, like I stated before

I like solid well built guitars not cheaply built ones like the VM.

Archived