Talk Dirty To Me tone

awd83

• Members

Hey guys, please don't flame me or tell me how bad CC sucks or anything.

I have a Vox VT 15 modeling amp and Les Paul type guitar (Dean Soltero) with dual humbuckers and coil splits. What settings should I use to get that tone? I've played around with it and got something close, but what do you guys think?

another way of asking, what kind of effects and amp did he use for that song?

Thanks!

• Members

try the jcm 800 model. Crank the gain, not too much bass, experiment with the treble and mids.

btw, I don't understand the CC hate. He's a decent enough player, came up with some incredibly catchy riffs and licks, and imo is not deserving of all the hate. Yeah, his lead style can be somewhat spastic at times but it was perfect for the band he was in.

• Members

Going from how he sounded circa 1986 or so, I'd assume he was using a boosted JCM800 so yeah, an 800. If you have a distortion or OD pedal to put in front of it, I'd do it. Probably about 7 or 8 on the gain on the amp and the pedal half way up, obviously depending on what pedal you have. Bridge pickup, not split.

For effects, probably most of it was added in post. Come compression and some 'spacial enhancements'. :lol:

I never hated him. I dug his rhythm playing and always thought of it sort of like Mick Mars first three albums. Pretty basic, but with enough extras thrown in to make it interesting. I liked his melodic solos more than his more out there solos. I don't see how the solo from Every Rose Has It's Thorn could possibly have fit the song any better. Of course, guys that grew up well after that song will knock it, but an awful lot of guys got laid an awful lot of times by playing that song.

:thu:

• Members

Going from how he sounded circa 1986 or so, I'd assume he was using a boosted JCM800 so yeah, an 800. If you have a distortion or OD pedal to put in front of it, I'd do it. Probably about 7 or 8 on the gain on the amp and the pedal half way up, obviously depending on what pedal you have. Bridge pickup, not split.

For effects, probably most of it was added in post. Come compression and some 'spacial enhancements'.
:lol:

I never hated him. I dug his rhythm playing and always thought of it sort of like Mick Mars first three albums. Pretty basic, but with enough extras thrown in to make it interesting. I liked his melodic solos more than his more out there solos. I don't see how the solo from Every Rose Has It's Thorn could possibly have fit the song any better. Of course, guys that grew up well after that song will knock it, but an awful lot of guys got laid an awful lot of times by playing that song.

:thu:

yeah, an OD pedal in front of it would help. I have a VT30 and the jcm800 model is pretty good but doesn't have a lot of gain on tap. If you want the CC tone, you'll need more gain.

• Members

btw, which model is the jcm800? is that the uk 80's?

yep, that's the one. Remember though, it doesn't have much gain on tap so by itself you probably won't be able to get the exact tone you're looking for. CC likely used a boost or OD pedal in front of his amp to get more gain so to get that specific tone, you'll need to do what he did.

• Members

To me, that tone always sounded like he used chorus.
:idk:

Wouldn't doubt it. Back in the day, it was very fashionable to use a little bit of everything... Some compression, some amp reverb, some studio reverb, some amp gain, a pedal in front of it to boost the gain, some chorus, some delay...

Most folks ended up sounding pretty similar. I haven't heard the song in a while, but I wouldn't doubt for one second that there's some chorus going on.

• Members

thanks guys, this is all VERY helpful. No, I don't have any other effects, just what's in the amp, which I think are pretty good overall.

If you're going for some 80s tones, I'd definitely suggest picking up a cheap-ish OD or distortion pedal. The Rat was THE pedal back then. I had one and it had a lot of raggedy gain on tap. For something a bit more subtle, look for a Boss DS1 (not the best, but will suffice and can be found cheap) a Boss SD1 (a little better - little smoother, but not really smooth and again - cheap) a Digitech Bad Monkey or Screamin Blues. These are each usually between $20 and $35 used. The Bad Monkey is a tube screamer knock which is mostly associated with boosted mids, but you can dial that out to some extent.

The 80s hair bands were largely about boosted Marshalls and having any of these pedals in front of your Vox will go a long way to getting those tones. None of them sound very good going into a clean amp, but do a great job of further pushing an already dirty tone.

• Members

I think CC is the man. He gets a lot of hate. fuck the haters. If I could get rich and famous playing like him, I'd do it too.

my band plays a few poison songs. I use a JCM800-ish patch on my axe-fx ultra. here's a clip of what it sounds like:

[YOUTUBE]Mcgp4q4jfTA[/YOUTUBE]

I should point out that I'm using a guitar with 2 humbuckers, probably somewhat similar sounding to the OP's soltero. CC's tone isn't exactly rocket science IMO - the "cranked marshall" tone will get you 95% there.

Good luck!

• Members
thank you guys, this is a great forum because of helpful people like you!

personally, the best high gain Marshall tones available in those amps come from the Soldano SLO model, IMO. I really like that one. I would use it for Talk Dirty. A bit of reverb and delay and you're set. I believe CC used a Rat, which would help, but not totally necessary. I also found a lot of his stuff pretty pleasant to my ears.

• Members

he used modulation but so subtle you couldnt tell what it was...

I dont understand the cc hate...he wrote/played some awesome catchy riffs...poison would have gone nowhere without cc...

I met cc a couple times and had the pleaseure of hearing/watching him play in a small room with no band and the man can play...the problem was some of his solos just left the building...its like they got put with the wrong song....but he is definitely a good rock guitarist, probably better than most pf us here...

We do nothing but a good time, talk dirty to me, and ride the wind and I use a hardwire metal distortion for those...uo the high mids a bit, not a lot of bass, through a clean trri

• Members

Anybody remember that MTV awards thing they were on where they had decided to play a certain song and at the lest second CC decided on his own that he wanted to play something else. Everyone started in on one song and CC started in on the one he wanted to play. Funny.

I do... the song CC played, in fact, was Talk Dirty to me. It was terrible, and CC was obviously coked out of his mind.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

:facepalm:

There is a valuable lesson, however, to be learned here, as much as anyone might hate poison... you have to hand it to the other three for their professionalism. I would have beat his ass right there and walked off.

• Members

I played that song in speech class in high school. I did a speech on how hard it is to learn guitar. The class asked me to play something after. I had been playing a year or two, that is what I came up with.:thu:

You need a "tone deaf" BC Rich. That is what a guy in a guitar shop called them.