Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

GFS dual hi-gain pedal - anyone have one yet?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also have a Twin and the only Distortion/OD that I have liked for it is a Fulltone OCD .

Yeah, I have an OCD. It was fine into my Twin with the big square magnet CTSs, but like I said, I just came to the conclusion that I don't care for much gain into JBL speakers or the Weber California knockoffs.

I would say that with the right speakers... and there are lots of 'right' speakers... CTS, Utahs, Oxfords, bigger magnet ceramic Jensens and certainly many Celestions... the Direct Drive is incredible for getting Marshall tones. Like I said, we compared a few of Doc Morbius's amps with the Direct Drive and a guitar with 57 Classics and we simply couldn't believe the Marshall tones that were coming out of his Silverface that had the one Utah and one 12F150. The Twin with the Californias... not happening. Sounded holy when clean and loud, but not good at all with gain.
    Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius:

"When it comes to gear vs talent I'll be the first to admit that I sit in the Mayor's seat in Poserville."

Comment

Have you tried a Bad Monkey?

Comment

I've seen the reference to the Daddy-O being the same circuit as the Guvnor... I don't know... I was never really all that crazy about the Guvnor myself, but the Daddy-O seemed pretty over the top. As a clean to low gain to a mid gain guy, the Daddy-O was useless to me and it sounded radically better into an already dirty-ish amp. Into a clean amp, it sounded almost like a fuzz, even with the gain almost all the way down. The Marshall didn't sound like that every. It just kept getting rattier and rattier, but never really sounded like a fuzz.

One thing I kinda hate about Dano dirt pedals is their circuits all seem to want to cram a ****************load of gain between 0 and 1 on the dial. I also compared the silver Dano Cool Cat Drive to the OCD v4 or 1.4 or whatever you want to call it. Their type of drives were very similar, but the OCD... you could use it almost as a clean boost if you wanted to. And with the gain below about 4/10, it sounded somewhat like a fully cranked clean channel on a DSL50. The Cool Cat with the gain on like 0.5 was more than than I'd usually ever use.

So without really comparing the Guvnor and the Daddy-O back to back, I wouldn't comment on their tones but I will say that I can see how many, many guitarists could love the Guvnor and hate the Daddy-O, if just for their range of gain if nothing else.

you musta had a bad one brother... mine can go from clean boost to fuzz no problem... it does the Vox early break up thing EXTREMELY well... then again, my Crate Vintage Club has an AMAZING clean channel and takes pedal very, very well,,, hell, even the Dano Minis sound great through my amp
        GUITARS:
        Fender MIM Standard Strat
        Hand Made SG Replica
        Epiphone DOT Studio
        Westbury Standard
        Cort X-5
        New Dawn Signature Prototype
        Frankentele "The Buddy Caster"
        Home Made LP copy "The Swamp Ass"
        AMPS:
        Crate VC3112
        Fender Mustang II

Proud Rose Pickups and Rose Petal Effects user

My Good Deals

Comment

Have you tried a Bad Monkey?

Nope. I was sort of under the impression (maybe incorrectly?) that is more or less a tube screamer type overdrive / tone? No?

I've heard clips of the OCD and thought it was OK, but it sounded a little fizzy to me.

Really need to get to a store that has all of these pedals and give them a go. I just hate going through tons of buying and selling of pedals to find the right one... but suppose that's really how the game is played.
          --
          Wagdog
          Check out Lunar Commander on:
          iTunes App Store
          Google Play

Lunar Commander Lite - FREE!:
          iTunes App Store
          Google Play

Free Fireworks Show for Android

"Albert King could blow Eddie Van Halen away with his amp on stand-by"
          - Joe Walsh

Good Transactions: Doctor Morbius(x2), Cadfael, bg-pups.com(x2), DCinDC, twotimingpete, dwerlin, DaleH, chqtarzan, sxyryan, lowbrow, albertus, vintage clubber

Comment

you musta had a bad one brother... mine can go from clean boost to fuzz no problem... it does the Vox early break up thing EXTREMELY well... then again, my Crate Vintage Club has an AMAZING clean channel and takes pedal very, very well,,, hell, even the Dano Minis sound great through my amp

You have all the luck, man! I guess it could have been modded... or broken... I did buy it used, but it was in perfect condition and I read a couple other reports of folks saying they thought it had WAY too much gain WAY too early on the dial.

That really does seem to be a Dano 'thing'... Like I said, the exact same is true of the silver Dano Cool Cat Drive.

"When it comes to gear vs talent I'll be the first to admit that I sit in the Mayor's seat in Poserville."

Comment

Nope. I was sort of under the impression (maybe incorrectly?) that is more or less a tube screamer type overdrive / tone? No?

I've heard clips of the OCD and thought it was OK, but it sounded a little fizzy to me.

Really need to get to a store that has all of these pedals and give them a go. I just hate going through tons of buying and selling of pedals to find the right one... but suppose that's really how the game is played.

I never thought of the OCD as fizzy, but again, I usually run it with the gain somewhere between 90 and 10. And I suspect I probably dial in a chunkier sound that you do. EQ-wise.

I think the OCD, Direct Drive and the LTD SR sound decent into a clean amp, but I really think the reason a lot of folks tend to not get on with pedals is either they want to run the pedal into a crystal clean amp, or they aren't running the power section of their amp hard enough. I think that's why I tend to like 12-22 watt amps... It's easy enough to get their power tubes really cookin' which I think as a tendency to smooth things out for lack of a better word. A hot-running power section tends to make a pedal sound more like part of the amp rather than a pedal goosing a clean amp.

That's my take anyway. I see a lot of folks that run Twins and 100 watt Marshalls that can't seem to get along with many pedals, but I see a lot of guys with low powered amps that get along with them great.

Out of curiosity, do you ever stack pedals? Even if it's just to experiment at dialing in one particular tone? Try it... it's free. Set your amp clean, take the pedal closer to the amp and dial in just enough gain so that it's barely starting to sound like overdrive... then maybe nudge it up just a hair... like half of a number setting higher. Then try a couple different pedals in front of that, one at a time. It can have a similar effect, as long as you don't use pedals that accentuate the same frequencies such as two Tube Screamer types. I know SRV did it, but he did it at crazy volumes.

Comment

You have all the luck, man! I guess it could have been modded... or broken... I did buy it used, but it was in perfect condition and I read a couple other reports of folks saying they thought it had WAY too much gain WAY too early on the dial.

That really does seem to be a Dano 'thing'... Like I said, the exact same is true of the silver Dano Cool Cat Drive.

oh no, i don't doubt you at all cratz... i do know that mine is as old as dirt
                GUITARS:
                Fender MIM Standard Strat
                Hand Made SG Replica
                Epiphone DOT Studio
                Westbury Standard
                Cort X-5
                New Dawn Signature Prototype
                Frankentele "The Buddy Caster"
                Home Made LP copy "The Swamp Ass"
                AMPS:
                Crate VC3112
                Fender Mustang II