No announcement yet.

Cap question

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cap question

Is there a capacitor that adds warmth and fullness of tone? I know some people say the Orange drops are best for that but many also say they only add highs. I just want to bring out the most mid-range possible. Thanks for the help.
    -Luke
    You can trust: Misle, teleman, Teh Bacons, usebigwords, honkytone, uOpt.
    Member of the SG Army

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Headed Moses
    View Post

Is there a capacitor that adds warmth and fullness of tone? I know some people say the Orange drops are best for that but many also say they only add highs. I just want to bring out the most mid-range possible. Thanks for the help.

Some would say it doesn't matter a bit and have done the research

http://www.luthiersforum.com/forum/v...=10123&t=38417

(FK puts on flame proof underwear and prepares for the discussion)

edit to add, this assumes the same value in microfarads, of course. Since the tone pot-cap are a low pass filter, if you inncrease the value of the cap you loose more of the high frequency as you turn down the tone control.

Comment

I don't see how caps add anything.

They take away highs, bleeding them to ground.

At least thats how I understand the physics.

Comment

If you want to warm up your tone cheaply, use nickel wounds
        My Gear
        Schecter Corsair
        TelePartsCaster x3
        Dano Convertible

Taylor 114
        Gretsch Americana

Vox Pathfinder 15R
        Vox VT15
        Fender SCXD
        Yamaha THR5

For Sale:
        Duncan Pickups

BG Pups Tele Set

Looking For:
        Vox AC4C1 amp
        Gibson 70s tribute minihum pickup(s)

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Apple Slim
          View Post

I don't see how caps add anything.

They take away highs, bleeding them to ground.

At least thats how I understand the physics.

Caps are filters nothing more. I went with nickel wounds to get that warm midrange

Comment

In a passive circuit, such as a STANDARD electric guitar, you cannot add anything, only take away. That is exactly what the "tone control, (aka low-pass filter) does in your guitar, bleeds highs off to ground (so you don't hear them).

Despite what people say, the composition of a capacitor does not affect the tone. The actual capacitance value DOES. The knee frequency (where the lows are allowed to pass and the highs start going to ground) can vary from cap to cap. This variance may lead people to believe there is a difference in tone with different cap materials.

I have found that lowering the cap value will allow more highs through, which in general gives your AMP more to work with and lets you work the tone a bit more with the amp. This can be perceived as "richer" because there are more frequencies there to work with.
            --
            Wagdog
            Check out Lunar Commander on:
            iTunes App Store
            Google Play

Lunar Commander Lite - FREE!:
            iTunes App Store
            Google Play

Free Fireworks Show for Android

"Albert King could blow Eddie Van Halen away with his amp on stand-by"
            - Joe Walsh

Good Transactions: Doctor Morbius(x2), Cadfael, bg-pups.com(x2), DCinDC, twotimingpete, dwerlin, DaleH, chqtarzan, sxyryan, lowbrow, albertus, vintage clubber

Comment

good info thread
              Originally Posted by Echad

People envy when they feel inferior. Doesn't matter about what.

Comment

If you're the type who leaves his tone control on 10, don't waste your time. Most people can't tell if a cap is removed or shorted out while on 10, let alone different.
                Straight-Jacket memories, and Sedative highs... the Good Old Days.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage
                  View Post

If you're the type who leaves his tone control on 10, don't waste your time. Most people can't tell if a cap is removed or shorted out while on 10, let alone different.

Thanks! From what I had read, I thought this was the case but I wanted some other first-hand accounts. You guys have helped a lot.
                  -Luke
                  You can trust: Misle, teleman, Teh Bacons, usebigwords, honkytone, uOpt.
                  Member of the SG Army

Comment

View Post

Not entirely. It depends on the cap's value. My Cabronita has TV Jones Magna'Trons, and I first wired them up without a cap (there's no tone control). They were too bright, so I put a cap on it (wired just like a tone control on 10). I played around with a few values, and some made the pickups dull and muddy, some made almost no difference. I settled on a value that just took the edge off.

Now that guitar kicks serious ass.
                    Hold mah beer an' watch this!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Headed Moses
                      View Post

Orange Drops cost $1, are more consistant than ceramic caps, and are available with plated copper leads which are easy to solder.
                      Signature is here!

Comment

View Post

Sorry, but this isn't the case.

The cap value DOES matter, even if your tone control is on 10. Less so if your tone control is a 1M pot, but it still does pull off some highs to ground. It matters more as the pot value goes down to 500k or 250k.

I still maintain that the cap MATERIAL doesn't matter in a low-pass filter.
                        --
                        Wagdog
                        Check out Lunar Commander on:
                        iTunes App Store
                        Google Play

Lunar Commander Lite - FREE!:
                        iTunes App Store
                        Google Play

Free Fireworks Show for Android

"Albert King could blow Eddie Van Halen away with his amp on stand-by"
                        - Joe Walsh

Good Transactions: Doctor Morbius(x2), Cadfael, bg-pups.com(x2), DCinDC, twotimingpete, dwerlin, DaleH, chqtarzan, sxyryan, lowbrow, albertus, vintage clubber

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by wagdog
                          View Post

Sorry, but this isn't the case.

The cap value DOES matter, even if your tone control is on 10. Less so if your tone control is a 1M pot, but it still does pull off some highs to ground. It matters more as the pot value goes down to 500k or 250k.

True. Doubters can just go try an American Standard Strat with no load tone control to hear this in action.
                          Signature is here!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne2
                            View Post

True. Doubters can just go try an American Standard Strat with no load tone control to hear this in action.

This is true, I brightened the tone of my Tele by going to a no-load pot and as a bonus got a little more gain

Comment

Dunno. I always swap in a variety of cap types when I'm optimizing a tone control, and I can always tell a difference among different types of the same nominal value. Tolerance? Different slope to the rolloff? Placebo? Can't say, but there's always a difference, and I don't always or even usually end up liking the "best" cap at my disposal for a given guitar/pickup combo.

Russian PiOs are reasonable, and pretty consistently nice. I have a few old-stock US/European caps, sometimes they are just the ticket. Sometimes an Orange Drop wins. Whatevs.
                              Tauntr.com - Adding Insult to Everything!Neck Pocket Cavern Surveyor for the Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You club!"In all fairness, Les Pauls have a switch position labeled "Rhythm", while Strats do not, because they are lead guitars for lead guitarists." -Flatspotter

Comment

Working...
                              X