Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you mess up your ears by playing half step down? or...

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Grantus
      View Post

If you play too much in half step down, all other pitches will sound too high to you

If they do,then you don't have perfect pitch,like Mr Empire said an Eb is an Eb .
      HCGB trooper #187
      A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Grantus
        View Post

If you play too much in half step down, all other pitches will sound too high to you

If they do,then you don't have perfect pitch,like Mr Empire said an Eb is an Eb .
        HCGB trooper #187

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by onelife
          View Post

my wife has perfect pitch but has absolutely no formal musical knowledge at all - she remembers thousands of songs simply by the sound - if i want to know the key of a song i will ask her to sing it for me and she just pulls it out of the air - she can tell me if i'm playing the wrong note in a guitar riff and then sing the line for me as it should be - she does not think it is anything special and does not believe she has any talent at all - she thinks everyone can sing

That's so cool,it's a true gift .

I've only met one person with perfect pitch,amazing stuff
          HCGB trooper #187

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by onelife
            View Post

my wife has perfect pitch but has absolutely no formal musical knowledge at all - she remembers thousands of songs simply by the sound - if i want to know the key of a song i will ask her to sing it for me and she just pulls it out of the air - she can tell me if i'm playing the wrong note in a guitar riff and then sing the line for me as it should be - she does not think it is anything special and does not believe she has any talent at all - she thinks everyone can sing

That's so cool,it's a true gift .

I've only met one person with perfect pitch,amazing stuff
            HCGB trooper #187

Comment

Perfect relative pitch is really what you want...

I learned on a record player that was 1/2 step sharp, and it did mess up my relative pitch. I tend to tune by ear sharp to this day.
              Good deals with - Yarbicus, CBH5150, BozzofAngels, Alvin Wilson, Harris Quinn

Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you.

Comment

Perfect relative pitch is really what you want...

I learned on a record player that was 1/2 step sharp, and it did mess up my relative pitch. I tend to tune by ear sharp to this day.
                Good deals with - Yarbicus, CBH5150, BozzofAngels, Alvin Wilson, Harris Quinn

Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Chad
                  View Post

No, but you'd be one step closer to the Slash tone, brah.

More like a half-step closer

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Chad
                    View Post

No, but you'd be one step closer to the Slash tone, brah.

More like a half-step closer

Comment

My wife has perfect pitch and tunes down to make singing easier. Seems to mess her up for the short term but the perfect pitch abilities come back. Ie the next day sing whatever note and she's on again.
                      Originally Posted by csm

You get a limited-edition self-relic'ing guitar at no extra cost and you're COMPLAINING?

[Insert religious affiliation political party and or spiritual belief here]

57 Gibson Cg-530, 66 Teisco Mosrite "clone", 78 Rickenbacker something or other, 80's St. Blues, Classic Vibe 60's strat, Fender Blacktop HH strat, Switch Sig Stein, Switch Tele style, Austin SG, Yamaha something, lol.
                      Vox Ampeg Peavey Hartke Bogen and Bugera amps, every tube pedal i can find. Muff. Loopers.

Comment

Tuning half-step down will definitely ruin your hearing. However, using a capo at the first fret to bring it back to standard is even worse. Ears have bled from that.

Worst thing, though? Either of the above and lipstick pickups. That's head-exploding sound if there ever was one.
                        Guitars Canada - Guitar Forum for Canadians

Comment

Both of my guitars are tuned half-step down. I must admit that it did not help me nail the Slash toanz. What did it for me was a new switch on my Behringer iAxe Metalien 629 through my Fender Mustang in the Twin-Reverb (Green) setting with echo, delay and some distortion. Once I did that Slash was attainable in a mere fifteen minutes.

You jelly? I bet you are.
                          Sprinkles are for winners...

Comment

Working...
                          X