What would you do? One (or two) really nice guitars or seven or eight low to medium quality ones?

aliensporebomb

• Members

If I had no guitars and had $1500 to spend I'd get a $500 electric, a $500 steel string acoustic, and a $500 amp.  Since I already have the basics covered, I'd rather spend $1500 on a single "wow" guitar than to buy a bunch of meh. Any time I get to play is precious, so I want it to be as much fun as possible - including gear.

• Members

I suppose you have to consider what is low to medium cost?  Let's say $500 for the sake of argument.  $500 X 8 is $4000 to spend on two guitars.  I'll take the two guitars in this hypothetical situation.

Excluding acoustics as this is an electric forum I'll take...

1 X PRS Custom 22

1 X EJ Fender Stratocaster

• Members

That is a loaded question for sure, considering the kind of guitar quality available for not very much money these days.  As I like having several guitars tuned in different open tunings for slide work, and prefer higher action to boot, my decision is made for me.  My Dano, my Squier '51, Mex. Tele, and Dean Resonator, I consider to be distinctive looking, sounding, playing, guitars, and as such, none are low quality from my point of view.  Of course this debate has taken place about a million times or so in some form or another on Harmony Central over the years!

• Members

PrawnHeed wrote:

I want three electrics. A strat like with single coils, an LP like with P90s and a semi-hollow with humbuckers.

I'd buy one of each and then upgrade as I could afford it.

I'd end up with these:

This is my solution as well...with a slightly different selection of models than PrawnHeed.

• Members

For me it seems that at a certain price point you're just paying for bling or exotic woods.  

Where does the price/performance go into "you just paid an extra $1000 for a slab of wood that looks nice versus something that was actually plainer but sounded as good as you're likely to experience?"

Did you ever go for a more expensive guitar and regret it and want to go back to one that wouldn't be devalued thousands of dollars if you dinged it once?

• Members

if i could sell everything off and not lose any money in the process, i'd be left with only my PRS, Ric, and Taylor. since that's unlikely to happen, i have 7 to 8 additional instruments that serve as beaters and writing instruments. 

also, to address the "after a certain price you're paying for x" debate, i kinda disagree. manufacturers start laying on the bling pretty early. the trick is avoiding features that have no tonal benefit and getting the most for your money no matter how much you spend. 

• Members

aliensporebomb wrote:

For me it seems that at a certain price point you're just paying for bling or exotic woods.  

Where does the price/performance go into "you just paid an extra $1000 for a slab of wood that looks nice versus something that was actually plainer but sounded as good as you're likely to experience?"

Did you ever go for a more expensive guitar and regret it and want to go back to one that wouldn't be devalued thousands of dollars if you dinged it once?

what's that "certain price point", in your opinion?

I've been in numerous situations where i've passed on a more expensive guitar and bought one that was less expensive, but sounded and played better.  for me, the instrument has to both inspire me and function perfectly for me.  if it doesn't do both of those things, then i won't buy it.

maybe a topic for another thread, but why is this forum so obsessed with what things cost?

• Members

aliensporebomb wrote:

I suppose you have to go back to your original argument, which is, nice or high quality vs medium to low quality, regardless of cost.  Not trying to be a dickhead but you are changing your argument.  Sure, a PRS SE doesn't cost a lot but its certainly not a poorly constructed instrument therefore it's nullified as being associated with a medium/low quality product.  

For what it's worth, I feel that $800ish is a nice place to get a really good instrument without breaking the bank.

• Members

I currently have 1 really nice guitar, an 85 PRS, and three good to medium qualities one.  I hate to say it, but I get much more enjoyment out of my medium quality ones than my really nice guitar.  With a medium nice guitar, I can leave it out and pick it up to play when ever I want and I can customize to my heart's content without fear of hurting its value.

Give me the medium quality guitars.

• Members

Well personally i do not feel more expensive is better sometimes you pay for the name sometimes you are actually paying for better parts. I do not own a gibson! Nor will I ever own one. I have played several working in a music store and I'm not so impressed that I would spend that much on one. I like the mid range stuff a lot and if I were going to spend 3,4 thousand on one geet it would be complete custom made where I picked everything wood fret size inlay type EVERYTHING hahah that's just me tho

• Members

I look at price because it IS important.

Great features on a guitar for $300 that plays fantastically makes me desire it more than a guitar with less desirable features on a more expensive guitar that might play worse. Or if the cheaper guitar plays just as well as one that is more expensive, I'll give "kudos" to the cheaper one.

Archived