Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Restoration Project- HCEG Black Top!

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was virtually gone from here all spring and summer. I figured I missed the unveiling of this epic and now famous guitar.

It took me a half hour to find where I stopped following the progress, but now I am fully up to speed, AND looking forward!!

BTW any close ups of the headstock...is it done now? In the one photo the pearl looks so 3 dimensional that I can't tell if it's inlayed or setting on the surface.
    Originally Posted by wedgehed II

Instead of searching for intelligent life in the universe, NASA should send a probe to this thread.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by axegrinder
      View Post

I was virtually gone from here all spring and summer. I figured I missed the unveiling of this epic and now famous guitar.

It took me a half hour to find where I stopped following the progress, but now I am fully up to speed, AND looking forward!!

BTW any close ups of the headstock...is it done now? In the one photo the pearl looks so 3 dimensional that I can't tell if it's inlayed or setting on the surface.

Welcome back!

I knew I hadn't seen you around much...how've ya been?

The pearl was inlaid in that photo.

I glued two pieces of pearl together, one on top of the other for additional strength when cutting/fitting.

Hadn't separated the two, so one layer was above the plane of the headstock face, thus the 3D effect.
      don;t always remember this so...best to all!
      education...how ya gonna know what to do...'less ya know what to do
      people will not always believe what you say
      but they have no choice but to believe what you do
      studied as a science...practiced as an art

my build threads:

archtop #1 mahogany/maccasar ebony
      archtop #2 maple/brazilian ebony
      GreatDanes blacktop Les Paul
      purpleheart/maple neck-through

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by meandi
        View Post

Welcome back!

I knew I hadn't seen you around much...how've ya been?

The pearl was inlaid in that photo.

I glued two pieces of pearl together, one on top of the other for additional strength when cutting/fitting.

Hadn't separated the two, so one layer was above the plane of the headstock face, thus the 3D effect.

Okay gotcha. I didn't realize you had two layers glued together, though I remember the discussion of separating them. ...it all makes sense now!

I've been fine, thanks for asking. Between some home remodelling/repair and my two daughters' soccer activities, the only time I've had for anything guitar related lately is managing a half hour to play each day...just for my own sanity.

Instead of searching for intelligent life in the universe, NASA should send a probe to this thread.

Comment

• Gotta maintain your sanity, though.

My kids are all grown & gone...I kinda miss the days when they were around all the time.

my build threads:

Comment

• I could move back in....
            first smoke, then silence
            your very expensive rig
            dies so gracefully

Comment

• ^^^

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by reachjkh
                View Post

I could move back in....

my build threads:

Comment

View Post

How's that baby?

thank you for asking- she's doing great. we brought her home yesterday and are still trying to find our new rhythm with her and our son. so far, so good, but it's not going to be easy. i will wait to tell my wife this, but i think there's some funny karma going on here; Willa is beautiful but a total handful, just like my wife i can already tell she's going to be a total heartbreaker.
                  INTERNET stands for: Inter-connected Network of Tools Endlessly Regurgitating Negatively Energized Tantrums

My Guitars | ... but can he play? | Currently a Gold Trader +6

Use extreme caution when attempting to interact or transact with IndianScout.

Comment

• On-going detail work.

It's a small thing, but visually it's important that the radius of the fingerboard is accurately carried across the tops of the bindings.

Same with the fret tops.

I'm getting ready to do the round over on the tips of the bindings.

my build threads:

Comment

View Post

On-going detail work.

It's a small thing, but visually it's important that the radius of the fingerboard is accurately carried across the tops of the bindings.

Same with the fret tops.

I'm getting ready to do the round over on the tips of the bindings.

i never even would have thought of looking for something like that. ah, i love to see a master at work...
                      INTERNET stands for: Inter-connected Network of Tools Endlessly Regurgitating Negatively Energized Tantrums

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by GreatDane
                        View Post

i never even would have thought of looking for something like that. ah, i love to see a master at work...

I just keep going over it repeatedly, untill I can't find anything else to improve upon.

In the close future, I'll add finish materials to the mix & contunue on with finer & finer grits, untill there is nothing left to do but wipe of the haze from the final glaze.

And then, it will be done!

You seem to understand & appreciate my muse.

I appreciate your support of my approach to the work!

my build threads:

Comment

View Post

I just keep going over it repeatedly, untill I can't find anything else to improve upon.

sweet!

In the close future, I'll add finish materials to the mix & contunue on with finer & finer grits, untill there is nothing left to do but wipe of the haze from the final glaze.

oh, you tease, you tease...

i think i do understand where you're coming from with this, and greatly appreciate you agreeing to take this guitar on. even if this weren't my guitar, this would still be one of my most favorite threads on this forum ever. the progress details with pics, along with the banter and overall positive energy is very impressive. i'm honored to be a character in the play (however minor).

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by GreatDane
                            View Post

... i'm honored to be a character in the play (however minor).

Minor?

You are to this thread what Nick Carraway is to the Great Gatsby... except that at the end of the Great Gatsby, Nick wasn't the owner of a killer axe and the envy of everyone around.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by axegrinder
                              View Post

Minor?

You are to this thread what Nick Carraway is to the Great Gatsby... except that at the end of the Great Gatsby, Nick wasn't the owner of a killer axe and the envy of everyone around.

haha~ never would have thought about it this way, and thank you for the great literary reference! i consider my role to be minor because i simply purchased the "husk" and contacted meandi to see if he'd take it on. all the glory and adoration should go to him.

in the end, i'll have a truly unique instrument with an amazing and personal history; all well-documented. this, thanks to meandi.

and, assuming he's ready to take on another project with me again in the future, i hope we'll have another thread to all enjoy.

Comment

View Post

the finish is the part ive been holding my breath for! i love your approach and i literally learn something new every time you post. keep up the amazing work!
                                Originally Posted by Reauchambeau

the power the bass wields at a large show is immense, makes a guitar sound like a Ukelele.

My Gear:
                                Guitars:
                                Fender Prodigy, Jackson Randy Rhodes RR-94, Ibanez JEM Knockoff, modded Squier Fat Strat, Epiphone Les Paul Junior, Jackson JS20, Ibanez Artcore AWD82LTD, Epiphone AJ-10/VS
                                Basses:
                                2 Modded Squier P-basses,80's Ibanez SR800LE fretless, 70's Gibson SG bass knockoff, Fender Jazz bass

Proud member of The Squier Army

--A poor musician blames his gear.--

Comment

Working...
                                X