Newly found fuzz

toolshed10

• Members

I am really digging fuzz right now.... I have been using higher gain tones for a while but it seems that fuzz might be what im hearing in my head... I have never really focused on fuzz for my main distortion tone cuz I though that you should use dirt pedals or your gain channel to achieve those higher gain tones... Anyway,. Just an ephinany in my little guitar world. I'm learning that just because everyone else likes something doesn't mean it fits you...

• Members

hi there welcome to club, be aware fuzz is like drugs, once you start you cannot get enough :)

with what did you start? fuzzface? npn? pnp? tonebender? mkII or mkIII? big muff? which one of the dozen different new models you can get? or did you get something completely different?

btw i'm tele, i'm addicted to fuzz, my latest addition was the keeley monterey pedal, while its much more than just a fuzz i really love it and makes me smile,

but let me warn you again, you get addicted very easily and the drugs (pedals) become more exclusive and expensive over time :)

I have a way huge swollen pickle, ehx big muff germanium 4 and an ehx big muff pi with the wicker and tone switches....

Check out my review of the EHX Satisfaction Fuzz. It's dirt cheap and yet really cool. In fact, if you can solder, there are unused pads on the PCB that make it really easy to modify.

Fuzzes are really cool. They offer such a variety of takes on a "distorted sound" - but be careful. They can be addictive. :lol: I must own a dozen different fuzz pedals and there are still others I'd like to check out - at the moment, I'm really GASsing for a Fuzzrite.

• Members

I've been really digging this guy lately- http://www.harmonycentral.com/expert-reviews/earthquaker-devices-spires-fuzz-effect-pedal

Old school splatty fuzz and a silicon fuzz face.

My all-time favorite was the Pedalworx Bender OverUnder, but I currently rotate between the Hoof Reaper, Zvex Wooly Mammoth, Svi Germanium Fuzz, Fuzz '66, Midfi Tape Fuzz, and the DAM Meathead.

Like tele said... get ready to chase the dragon!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have to finish up on a MKII build I have. I busted a leg on a transistor trying to seat them so the bottom of the case would fit on.

Yesterday I was messing with the Fuzzes built into my Vox Stomp lab pedal. Its got like 6 of them built in as patches.

The Tone Bender was killer sounding (obviously because its a vox pedal)

I dam near sounded as my electric sitar. There was a thread posted awhile back talking about how George Harrison got his tones on the opening lead of What Is Life and I have no doubt he did it using a Vox Tone Bender. Its sounds just like a Buzz Bridge. I'll have to post the song I did using it here. Its got that cool midrange envelope to the sound.

I've had that Vox pedal for a year now and I'm still finding cool sounds from the thing. Its amazing what $50 can buy you these days.

• Members

I could see using sockets for an IC, but I don't think I've ever seen them used for diodes or caps. :idk:

Actually, I think there was a pedal from keeley or Dave Fox that allowed you to swap clipping diodes (the pedal came with a couple different ones). I remember thinking it was a cool idea, but questioning how rugged they'd be if the posts were just slid into the jackets.

Here it is-

http://www.robertkeeley.com/manuals/fuzz_head.pdf

My memory failed me... it was a socketed cap swap for bass response, which sounds like what he's mentioning.

Interesting - thanks Chris. Looks like they're using standard transistor sockets for the cap, and supplying a few caps of different values to allow people to change the bass and treble response.

Archived