Pedal Power Supply Question

Old Fart Rocker

Short answer? NO!

You risk frying the pedal if you apply more voltage than it is rated for.

Having said that, some pedals DO have the ability to run at 9V AND higher voltages, but you'll have to either list all the pedals you have so we can let you know if any of them do or not, or research them individually yourself.

Now the question is - do you have any pedals that can run at higher than 9 volts? If so, hook that pedal up to the appropriate 12V or 18V outlet, and then connect the remaining 8 pedals on the 9V outlets.

If you don't have a pedal that will run on 12V, then you might be able to connect two of the pedals to one of the 9V taps using a daisy chain cable. They won't be isolated from each other, and you'll need to make sure they don't draw too much amperage between them for the outlet to handle, but putting a pair of low-current pedals like an overdrive and a compressor on the same outlet usually isn't going to cause major issues.

• Members
Short answer? NO!

You risk frying the pedal if you apply more voltage than it is rated for.

Having said that, some pedals DO have the ability to run at 9V AND higher voltages, but you'll have to either list all the pedals you have so we can let you know if any of them do or not, or research them individually yourself.

Now the question is - do you have any pedals that can run at higher than 9 volts? If so, hook that pedal up to the appropriate 12V or 18V outlet, and then connect the remaining 8 pedals on the 9V outlets.

If you don't have a pedal that will run on 12V, then you might be able to connect two of the pedals to one of the 9V taps using a daisy chain cable. They won't be isolated from each other, and you'll need to make sure they don't draw too much amperage between them for the outlet to handle, but putting a pair of low-current pedals like an overdrive and a compressor on the same outlet usually isn't going to cause major issues.

Thanks Phil. Good call on the daisy chain. Didn't think of that. To be honest, they're mostly Joyo and Donner pedals. I know...cheap Chinese knock offs. But I must say, they work and sound pretty good.

• Members

Pedals that "might be" safe to run at over 9 volts are typically: true-bypass (mechanical switch bypass) amp-based effects like boosts, overdrives, and distortions.

Pedals that usually will NOT tolerate higher than spec'd voltage would be ANY digital pedal, and most electronic bypass pedals (Boss, Ibanez, ect) There are a lot of exceptions to these rules, so to be safe I'd contact the manufacturer.

I use a daisy chain cable to run four pedals off of a single power output on my Voodoo Labs ISO-5 power supply, and it works fine. I made sure that I'm connecting the lower-power (mA draw) pedals to the daisy chain. High current drain pedals use the isolated outputs.

Thanks Phil. Good call on the daisy chain. Didn't think of that.

It's probably the cheapest and most effective solution for your setup.

To be honest, they're mostly Joyo and Donner pedals. I know...cheap Chinese knock offs. But I must say, they work and sound pretty good.

I haven't really tried any of their pedals, but I've read good things - including from several members here.

As far as the 9V or higher question, it's probably best to assume that running a higher voltage than 9V will kill the pedal unless you see something contrary to that in the product's manual. :)

• Members

That would be < NO ground loops with isolated outs > With the brick type supplies every output is on a discrete transformer thing with no actual wired connection. No multiple grounds are possible. You have probably found zones that don't bother you and that's fine. If you want optimized or just higher levels, isolated is the only way to go.

If you want optimized or just higher levels, isolated is the only way to go.

Higher levels? :confused2:

Do you mean higher signal to noise ratios, or are you referring to actual signal levels?

Isolated outputs won't change or improve the signal level, but they do isolate the power grounds for the individual pedals, which can definitely lower noise in some setups. Ground loops are still possible elsewhere within the rig though.

• Members

Yeah, I've done the daisy chain thing with a One Spot up until now. All of my pedals worked fine this way, so I'm confident just daisy chaining 2 pedals will also work just fine. I just got the power supply and am re-doing my pedalboard. I think I have seen a duo power supply cable instead of the multi supply cable that went with the One Spot. I would prefer to have all pedal isolated, but that would require a second power supply which I'm trying to avoid.

Thanks for all of the info and suggestions.

Yeah, I've done the daisy chain thing with a One Spot up until now. All of my pedals worked fine this way, so I'm confident just daisy chaining 2 pedals will also work just fine. I just got the power supply and am re-doing my pedalboard. I think I have seen a duo power supply cable instead of the multi supply cable that went with the One Spot. I would prefer to have all pedal isolated, but that would require a second power supply which I'm trying to avoid.

Thanks for all of the info and suggestions.

Unless you need multiple power jacks the single to dual jack splitter is probably the better idea, and at around six bucks, is fairly inexpensive too. Voodoo Labs makes one, and Sweetwater carries them...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PPAV

:wave:

• Members
If you want optimized or just higher levels' date=' isolated is the only way to go. [/b']

Higher levels? :confused2:

Do you mean higher signal to noise ratios, or are you referring to actual signal levels?

Isolated outputs won't change or improve the signal level, but they do isolate the power grounds for the individual pedals, which can definitely lower noise in some setups. Ground loops are still possible elsewhere within the rig though.

Higher signal levels - allowed by lower noise floor.

Higher signal levels - allowed by lower noise floor.

The signal level won't increase, so technically you're not getting higher levels, although lower noise does mean a greater signal to noise ratio. IOW, you're making better use of the available signal, and less of it is "covered up" by noise, but it's not actually going to increase in amplitude.

• Members

The signal level won't increase, so technically you're not getting higher levels, although lower noise does mean a greater signal to noise ratio. IOW, you're making better use of the available signal, and less of it is "covered up" by noise, but it's not actually going to increase in amplitude.

Of course not. You raise the volume.

Archived