Anyone ever stack an overdrive with the Fulltone OCD?

jms1978

• Members

I love my Fulltone OCD, but need a little something extra during solos. I have a TC Electronics Spark for the clean boost, but would like to find a complimentary pedal to get a little more gain when desired. Has anyone ever stacked anything with the Fulltone OCD and had luck?

I watched a Pete Thorn video on the Suhr Shiba Drive Reloaded, which was pretty impressive. However he was using it to boost the dirty channel on his amp, not stacking with another OD.

My band plays primarily rock. Think Mike McCready in terms of the tone I'm going for.

I play a Charvel SoCal through a Rivera Quiana 2 X 12.

Any help/suggestions would be most appreciated! Thanks!!

• Members

Don't have an OCD. I do occasionally stack drives. Do you want a different sound / more signal / more grind / top, bottom, middle. What? If it's more distortion, more often than not the simplest is to use a distortion instead. Known quantity, no mud etc...

Anyway here are some stacks from Google.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fultone+ocd+stacked

[video=youtube;MU2Q8cNOGtw]

[video=youtube;9_leyx_d2ng]

Try hitting it with a boost sometime. I have a HBE Germania in front of my V3 OCD on my dirt board, and I think the two work very well together. You can put the boost after the OCD if you're looking for a post-dirt volume boost (amp situation and setting permitting), but I like it in front of it. Not only can you get snarlier, more heavily distorted tones from the OCD, but more varied and complex ones, depending on how you adjust the boost feeding and driving it - the level, the type of boost - clean/full-range, treble, etc.

Another one that works really well? An OCD and an EHX Glove. No, I'm not kidding. I wouldn't be surprised if stacking a pair of OCD's worked similarly well, although I've never tried it.

yup' date=' timmy before for slamming the OCD for more saturation [/quote']

I imagine the EHX Soul Food (or for those with more money than they know what to do with, a Klon) or any other similar "transparent" overdrive would be another possibility. I'll have to give that a try.

• Members

Drive pedals usually sound better if you put a cleaner pedal in front of a dirtier one. A boost or comp before overdrive, overdrive before fuzz, fuzz before distortion etc. If you do it the opposite way around you develop feedback, excessive noise for the volume level or weird modulations. Some of this can be cool of course but can be very difficult to control.

I often use a tube screamer before a Marshall governor. I dial the Tube screamer so it sounds good for chords, the Governor good for leads, If I use both at the same time with maybe a comp before them, I can get just about any note on the neck to self sustain. You don't even have to pick the notes to hear them, they produce sound just by hammering the fret notes down.

Archived