Semi-OT: iPhone 6

Phil O'Keefe

Well, it's finally announced - the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6 Plus, with 4.7" and 5.5" screens, improved cameras, 25% more powerful A8 and M8 chips, ... so, what do you think? Anyone ready to grab one right out of the gate?

http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/09/meet-the-iphone-6-plus/

And a question on size. I realize the advantages of a larger screen (especially given the fact that the competition offers them, and they're popular) but that seems a bit counter-intuitive to me. If it's something I have to have with me all the time, I want it smaller, not bigger. Of course I've owned smaller phones than my iPhone 5, and my eyes are not as good at close distances as they were when I was younger, but if the phones keep getting bigger, sooner or later they'll be a PITB to take with me, or too big to fit into a pocket... does anyone else have concerns about the ever-increasing size of phones?

• Members

I will not be getting one when they are released, but with my contract I'm up for a new phone in December, when I plan on getting the smaller version. I really dislike the 'phablets' as they are calling them. Can't fit in your pocket, to small to do work on them. What's the point? I'll take the smaller, efficient phone and a large, useful for typing tablet any day than a single one that loses the usefulness of both.

• Members

I'm very happy with my iPhone 5c at the moment, though the new iPhones are looking really great! I kinda wish my update cycle was ready for me to get one of the new ones. I totally get what you're saying about the iPhone getting bigger and having to carry it around being a pain, and while I agree that it might be bulkier in the pocket, they had a whole segment in the keynote about how they've adapted the new iPhone to be easier to use in one hand. Apple has always been great about making their phones shape up to the natural geometry of your hands, and I still believe thats a core belief they have, with simple things such as swipe gestures and a slightly curved screen to make it feel better, they go the extra mile to make it work.

• Members

The watch is interesting to me. On one hand, I can see it as being a very expensive accessory, not a necessity (I assume we can agree a cell phone is a necessity now-a-days). It doesn't really do anything I need to have done. On the other hand, my tech-nerdy side has been watching sci-fi movies for way too long to not want something like this. Definitely won't be getting it on release, there are bound to be so many kinks to be worked out, but I could see getting one later on sometime. Plus it physically looks good.

Archived