Which analog delay REALLY is a TRUE analog?

kvalois

• Members

Hi:

I just came back from a friend who owns his own guitar store. When I quizzed him about which analog delay I should buy, he said: Carl Martin's Red Repeats. He then went on to give what seemed to be an excellent explanation-- it was one of the few analog delay pedals that has TRUE BYPASS, etc.

When I got home, I went to YOU TUBE to check it out. Proguitarshop.com said it was a DIGITAL-- and several comments from guitar players confirmed it!!!

My friend also said that the MXR Carbon Copy was not true bypass and was overrated. He also said that all BOSS pedals are basically "junk."

So, somebody help!!!! What does "true bypass" mean and why is it important? And, which ANALOG delay pedal REALLY is ANALOG-- and which one should I buy? By the way, I already ordered a BOSS DD-7-- so, I want a really good analog delay.:wave:

By the way-- I want one with MODULATION!!!!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ah..True bypass means theres a direct connection between the input and output of your pedal; theres going to be no coloration in tone to be concerned about there. The Carbon Copy is a true analog delay, and is deffinately true bypass (well millenium bypass which is a type of TB) so your friend was just talking out his ass. I do agree that its a bit overated, but many would disagree- its an affordable analog delay. Non-true bypass pedals are buffered which is a circuit that may color your tone in either a good or bad way. Some worse than others- all Boss pedals are buffered but they deffinately aren't crap or sucky. Buffers can help at the end of your chain and with long cable runs which can be very useful.

• Members

True analog would be tape or platter. I think BBD delays (like the Boss DM-2/3, Memory Man) do a kind of anlog/digital sampling hybrid - what give them their characteristic darkness and warmth is a filter used to keep the clock noise from the BBDs out of the audio signal (chops off the top end of the repeats). Adding this kind of filter to a true digital delay is how you get "analog" sims (note that you can use the exact same filter, so it's really more than a sim - it's the same audio circuit). I think it was hard to get much more than about 500ms delay from BBDs, so if it gives you more time than that and isn't REALLY expensive (i.e., Moog), it's probably a filtered digital delay. Obviously, lots more detail out there to be found, but that's the basics on analog/digital units.

• Members

Hi:

I just came back from a friend who owns his own guitar store. When I quizzed him about which analog delay I should buy, he said: Carl Martin's Red Repeats. He then went on to give what seemed to be an excellent explanation-- it was one of the few analog delay pedals that has TRUE BYPASS, etc.

When I got home, I went to YOU TUBE to check it out. Proguitarshop.com said it was a DIGITAL-- and several comments from guitar players confirmed it!!!

My friend also said that the MXR Carbon Copy was not true bypass and was overrated. He also said that all BOSS pedals are basically "junk."

So, somebody help!!!! What does "true bypass" mean and why is it important? And, which ANALOG delay pedal REALLY is ANALOG-- and which one should I buy? By the way, I already ordered a BOSS DD-7-- so, I want a really good analog delay.
:wave:

By the way-- I want one with MODULATION!!!!

someone already mentioned it, most pedals are not actually analog delays... they are lofi chips that sound like analog delays

real analog delays are tape machines and such... no electronic mimicing of the event...

but

analog sounding is way different, and much easier, and better in many ways

• Members

As a Carbon Copy owner/lover/molester, I can vouch for its true bypass and analog delay construction. True bypass will allow a pedal that is not powered to transmit signal from one end to the other. You can even plug it in incorrectly (output to input/vice versa) and still have signal pass through. When you set the regeneration to the max and play with the delay time, you'll quickly learn if you have analog or not. Try it.

• Members

As a Carbon Copy owner/lover/molester, I can vouch for its true bypass and analog delay construction. True bypass will allow a pedal that is not powered to transmit signal from one end to the other. You can even plug it in incorrectly (output to input/vice versa) and still have signal pass through. When you set the regeneration to the max and play with the delay time, you'll quickly learn if you have analog or not. Try it.

nope.

some mxr pedals aren't true bypass but do transmit the signal without power.

and there are many digital delays that oscillate.

but who cares if it sounds good after all?;)

• Members

IMO don't buy an analog delay. Way too expensive, especially the boutique ones.

Newer delay pedals such as the DD20, SMMH, Nova, and the Timefactor all model analog delays and they sound just as good. You also get all of the great features they come with such as longer delay times, reverse delay, loopers, memory, and such.

I a and b'd a DD20 and a Boss DM3, they both sounded very similar but the DD20 I liked a bit more because the pedal wasn't nearly as noisy.

If you really need another delay you should get one of the ones I mentioned.

You could also go with a reverb pedal like the verbzilla. :idk:

• Members

In a funny way isn't he kind of right? BBDs are basically little samplers, analog but behaving in a semi-digital way.

Anyway, I can vouch that the SMMH killed analog delays for me... but that it was already close to being dead thanks to the humble but excellent Danelectro Dan-Echo delay.

• Members

I seem to always remember Zachman harping about how analog is inherently inferior to his TC 02488 because the TC 587760 could use a filter to get analog lack of clarity, BUT, analog could not achieve the TC 666 pristine repeats.

Q.E.D. RACKS baby

• Members

One nice thing that a TB pedal cannot give you is the gentle, echoey,

trailing-off sounds after you've kicked the pedal back into "no-echo" mode.

The lack of a trail-off makes for a very sudden and stark transition.

If the pedal maker puts some thought into the buffer and switching,

a non-TB pedal can both sound nice and allow for musically pleasant transitions.

my 0.53 cents worth.

• Members

I just wanted to add, the people telling you to buy whats sounds good to you and not worry about what other people say... Whilst that is kinda true, if you are new to pedals, and guitar and don't really have the ear for what effects are good (when you start out everything seems good), then it's kinda a silly argument. I bought a DD-3 when i began playing because i thought it sounded good, and was a cool unit, then began to hate the thing as my ears and taste developed. I kinda would have appreciated at that time having someone to help me out with what to look into. I could barely even tell the difference of sounds better various pedals. So when you are new to this it can all be a little overwhelming. After a while you start developing a better musical ear, so then you can know and can listen out for what sound you are after.

Archived