I think I'm going digital !

rockfish

• Members

I spent a lot of time with a Rocktron Replitone 212 today, and I'm getting closer to dumping my tube amps and going digital. This amp sounds and feels very tube-like. The versatility blows me away.

I had toyed with the idea of selling my Vibroverb and picking up the modeller for a little more versatility. My reasoning was, if I could find a tone similar to the Vibroverb's, but possibly with a few other good sounds I would be happy. I never expected to find so many cool tones within this amp. Not one or two, but dozens of EXCELLENT tones. In fact, I'm almost positive I could find tones similar to my Vibroverb and my Rivera Quiana and STILL find a lot of other cool tones. The Replitone FEELS like a tube amp and sounds very tube like. I did find some digital sounds, but only when I cranked the gain on some of the higher gain models. When the gain was backed down to reasonable levels, the tone was outstanding. This amp isn't lacking low end or balls either, it's LOUD !

The effects are just icing on the cake. All the effects seemed very usable, especially the delay and chorus. The reverb is outstanding too. I can see this amp entertaining me for a long, long time.............and fun is what it's all about.

I don't play nearly as much as I used to because of carpal tunnel syndrome, so I don't need a house full of amps anymore. I'm really thinking hard about dumping both of my amps and picking this amp up for the versatility and different sounds.......and the fun. It may not be able to produce 100% tube sounds, but they are damn close. Close enough to entertain me for a long time.

I should also say that I spent a great deal of time with the Line6 Flextone III and the Vox Valvetronix, and I still preferred the Rocktron, even though the Vox was a strong second. I think the modelling was damn close, I just preferred the overall operation of the Rocktron. It just seemed easier to use.

rockfish

• Members

Well, I guess I'm just tired of the basic tones that my tube amps have. They excel at clean and slightly dirty tones. They do nothing else. I can't play any heavy stuff at all, and I'm locked into those very basic (boring) tones.

All pedals I have ever used to change these tones have sucked, and make the amps sound no better than a modeller.

With the digital amp, I have dozens of choices, and dozens of options inside of those choices, plus dozens of different effects all built in one unit.

rockfish

• Members

I wish you luck. I really gave it an honest try last year. Bought a POD, all the model packs, the floorboard, a Tech21 Power Engine (with a 2nd one in my sights, for stereo). Unplugged my "real" amps and had at it for a while. I was blown away at first. So many different tones, so many cool effects at my disposal.

Then one day I plugged one of my "real" amps in for a reality check. Game over. Returned the footswitch and model packs, sold the POD and the Power Engine.

The problems I have with the modeller are many-fold. Finding a good playback medium (powered monitors worked the best for me, but those aren't exactly easy to pick up and take to a jam) is a problem. Longevity is also a problem. The POD sounds great to me at first, then after a while each different preset just sounds like a different eq and filtering on the same basic sound. The homogenousness :D of it starts to be overwhelming. And finally, there is no immediacy to the tone. I don't care what anybody says, power and volume and eq and whatever else being equal, no modeller will ever be able to deliver the gutpunch of a cranked tube amp.

I believe that modellers contain lots of cool sounds. Enough cool sounds that I kinda want an XT again, just for fun. But I have decided that there is no Tone in them. Fun sounds, but no Tone. I'll go one step further and say that there is no Tone in any digital gear, period. Amps, effects, whatever.

• Members

I was SS for the longest time. Its great as long as you don;t record. Because live it sounds great. (I used to freak people out in large stereo venues with the ping pong effect of slow stabbed delays)

But recording is where it really falls down. Thats why I switched to tube.

• Members

I've got both a tube amp and a modeler. I do like the ease of use and the various sounds of the modeling amp. However compared to the tube amp it isn't quite as fun to play. It's not as dynamic and it makes all guitars sound a bit similar. Every time I play with modelers I get this "there's something missing" feeling, no matter how good the sound in itself is.

• Members

My assessment is quite the opposite.

I found that with digital modelers, they were great for recording but lousy for live applications. The just turned to nasty solid state sound when they're turned up. I've made some great sounding recordings using my J-Station, and it's so easy to dial in great sounds.

But my J-Station died, and I sold my Tech21 Power Engine, and bought a tube amp (Fender Hot Rod Deville) and haven't looked back. It records beautifully. It's too damn heavy, though! I'm looking for a lighter tube amp now. The HR isn't going anywhere though!

-Jay

• Members

I like them both. I'm in a cover band - we played a wedding last weekend. My drummer wanted to do a floyd song - Run like Hell he let me know about it 2 days before the gig.

During soundcheck it took me all of about 30 seconds to dial in a tone from my clean sound with the correct delays and a nice chorus, saved it to my footswitch, and I was done.

I'll buy the feel issue, and possibly the tone when you're only playing through the amp. But in the context of a band mix, modelling amps can sound great. I know my Vetta has plenty of punch and I get people at gigs who say it sounds awesome. I do mic a 4x12 cab however... the direct outs aren't as good as running a mic.

Different strokes for different folks. I also love tube amps and may put togther a live rig for playing - sometimes at home I like to play on one of the several tube amps I have. Variety is the spice of life. ;)

Pete

• Members

ANYTHING will become passe' after playing it long enough, IMHO. That's why you see guys here cycling through some GREAT amps even though there is nothing wrong with the amp and it's perfect for their playing style, etc. New gear is fun and it's inspirational, whether it's a one (very good) trick tube amp or a whiz bang do-it-all modeller.

IMHO, it's a great idea to have both available and the digital gear makes it affordable enough to do so. That way you can refresh yourself now and again without dipping into your bank account and getting caught in the GAS downward spiral. :) With a modest tube rig AND modest digital rig, I've managed to not make a major gear change for over a year after getting the POD XT... Which I felt was a huge accomplishement given where I was at cycling through stuff prior (it was seriously starting to become a marital issue).

I love the new tech and I still find my POD XT massively inspirational after having owned it through the honeymoon phase, for me that unit is the first one that is good enough that I don't hear clips on here and immediately start surfing eBay. The modelling IS only getting better, so it will be superseded and the best is surely yet to come... but it's also fun and useful right now. In fact, it's so good right now, laypeople can't tell any difference.

I think the "Tone Quest" is a right of passage for any player who ends up pursuing the instrument through life.

• Members

I've tried using digital live, only to be disappointed. But I do want to give it another shot using a nice PA system. I tried it mainly through various power amps and into guitar cabs. I also tried it through a {censored}ty old Carvin PA system, and wasn't impressed. However, I think that I could possibly get some cool tones running it through a great PA.

-Joe

• Members

Well......everyone pretty much thinks I'm going to be disappointed. The problem is, I'm already disappointed.

I simply can't cover all of the material that I need to play. I've been fighting this problem for a couple years now. I don't know what half of the people play around here, but most of the amps that seem to get the most mention around here just wouldn't cut it for anything but a Bob Seger or Rolling Stones tribute band.

I have to go from tones like Bob Seger and the Rolling Stones to Aerosmith and Judas Priest to Alice In Chains and Stone Temple Pilots to Godsmack and Disturbed.

You simply aren't going to do that with a Fender. If you get a high gain amp that does the heavy stuff well, then it sounds like crap for any of the classic Marshall and Fender tones. Who can carry a Fender, Marshall and Mesa to a gig ??? I certainly can't. I can't afford all three amps. But, unfortunately, if you are in a cover band, that's exactly what's expected of you. I love my Fender for the tones that it's made to make, and I love my Rivera for the tones that it makes..........but I need something that can do all that plus the heavy {censored}. A pedal isn't going to make a difference either.

rockfish

• Members

Originally posted by Stratotone

Different strokes for different folks. I also love tube amps and may put togther a live rig for playing - sometimes at home I like to play on one of the several tube amps I have. Variety is the spice of life.
;)

Pete

There it is........I've jumped back and fourth myself......I just like having both tube and modelling available for whenever my fickle ear wants something different.....It's a real treat to have both.....:)

• Members

Originally posted by rockfish

You simply aren't going to do that with a Fender.

You're also not going to do that very well with just one guitar, at least from my experience. If you want a one guitar / one amp setup that does all these sounds, and does them relatively well, it's going to be tough no matter what.

And what band plays all those songs at a gig anyway! :) I can't imagine people wanting to hear Bob Seger and Godsmack from the same band. Even if the singer could pull it off...I mean really, what band actually does that kind of thing.

• Members

James,

I've been in a couple bands that did just that.

We used to play all kinds of stuff from Bob Seger, the Beatles, the Stones, Zeppelin, Cream, Sabbath, Aerosmith, Floyd, Nickelback, Godsmack, Disturbed, Puddle Of Mud, Black Label Society, Corrosion of Conformity..........you name it.

We tried to play a good mix of rocking stuff. Believe it or not, Bob Seger has a couple rocking tunes that I like to play. Sunspot Baby is one that comes to mind.

Also, I'm not playing just one guitar. I usually take my Hamer Studio's and Standard, and I used to carry along a Robin Medley Custon (no longer with me:( ).

rockfish

• Members

Originally posted by rockfish

Well......everyone pretty much thinks I'm going to be disappointed. The problem is, I'm already disappointed.

I simply can't cover all of the material that I need to play. I've been fighting this problem for a couple years now. I don't know what half of the people play around here, but most of the amps that seem to get the most mention around here just wouldn't cut it for anything but a Bob Seger or Rolling Stones tribute band.

I have to go from tones like Bob Seger and the Rolling Stones to Aerosmith and Judas Priest to Alice In Chains and Stone Temple Pilots to Godsmack and Disturbed.

You simply aren't going to do that with a Fender. If you get a high gain amp that does the heavy stuff well, then it sounds like crap for any of the classic Marshall and Fender tones. Who can carry a Fender, Marshall and Mesa to a gig ??? I certainly can't. I can't afford all three amps. But, unfortunately, if you are in a cover band, that's exactly what's expected of you. I love my Fender for the tones that it's made to make, and I love my Rivera for the tones that it makes..........but I need something that can do all that plus the heavy {censored}. A pedal isn't going to make a difference either.

rockfish

I'm not saying you shouldn't go digital, but you could easily cover all those tones with one head. A Marshall DSL can do it, JSX can easily do it, Egnater TOL 100, hell I could pull most of that stuff off with a 5150 except the pristine clean sounds.

That said, digital is way cool for convenience and consistency of sound. I think you'll like it if you run straight to a great PA. Maybe look into getting a Yorkville PA system. You can get 2 550 watt powered speakers (NX550P - 12" sub and 1" horn) and a powered sub that puts down massive bass for around $2k. That way you have a PA that you know will be consistent, you can run the rest of your band through it as well, and you no longer have to rely on house PA's. Run the PODxt straight to that and you're good to go. Good luck and please let us know how you like it as I'm thinking of going to this exact setup.

-Joe

• Members

I've found that if I use my POD or PODxt without cab modeling, into the AMP IN on my Fender HR Deluxe, I get very "real feeling" sounds, that are really "warmed" by the amp's powertubes and speaker. Especially when I add a 2x12 extension cab... it's a big sounding, nice playing solution.

By bypassing the Fender's pre-amp stage, I get complete tone control over the PODxt, and it sounds FAR better than direct to PA or straight into the amp's front end.

michael

• Members

Originally posted by acousticvoodoo

By bypassing the Fender's pre-amp stage, I get complete tone control over the PODxt, and it sounds FAR better than direct to PA or straight into the amp's front end.

michael

Have you tried it through a quality PA, and tweaked it to sound it best in that application? The only reason I ask is because PODxt -> power amp (tried several tube and SS) -> guitar cab sounded pretty bad every way I've tried it. I tried with cab/mic sim off and on, in studio direct, live 2x12, and live 4x12 mode. I think that a PODxt direct to PA would sound much better than that. Maybe I just didn't find the magic combination yet?

-Joe

• Members

Modeling amps & PODs are good for some things, like direct recording and situations where access to a multitude of sounds is neseccary. A non musician could not tell the difference between you playing a real Plexi or a modeled one (well besides the volume difference that they'd feel). But YOU can tell the difference, no doubt. More than anything is the FEEL of a tube amp is what you will miss. Right now I have 5 tube amps, but I will probably get a modeler, for "quiet" recording.

• Members

I run my POD Pro XT through a tube power amp and it sounds good live or recorded. Don't get me wrong, I love tube amps and will never be without one or two or three..... You get the idea, but modeling has its place and it does its part very well. I seem to sound very similar regardless of if I am playing through tube or a good modeler.

I just love the versatility of using the POD.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

-------------------------------------------

And what band plays all those songs at a gig anyway! I can't imagine people wanting to hear Bob Seger and Godsmack from the same band. Even if the singer could pull it off...I mean really, what band actually does that kind of thing.

----------------------------------------

Our band does this all the time. the crowds love it.

• Members

Originally posted by ranalli

If you want to go the modeling route live the best suggestion is to get a modeling amp....not just the modeler. Get the Vetta or the HD....they are a huge step above using the POD into a power amp etc...

Ranalli is right, my bandmate has a Line 6 hd147 and it blows me away. I have always been a tube guy and I would own that amp in a heartbeat. I still think it's missing a little something from a tube amp but it's so close that you woudln't notice it live. If I were a cover guy I would own it for sure!

Archived