No announcement yet.

Will tube amps work upside down???

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will tube amps work upside down???

My 11 year old son just asked me a question that I honestly didn`t know the answer to. He wanted to know if my Single Recto would work upside down. Hmmm, I don`t know.

I`m sure it would, but for how long?

Eric
    Great transactions: Kung-Fool (Tom/traded amps), Major Third (Phil/bought from), Mr. Brady (Rob/sold to), Pwn3d (Nick/sold to), shreder75 (Matt/bought from), mhenson42 (Matt/bought from), Oblivion DC (Michael/bought from), Dropped_2_C (Scott/traded tubes), MCon (Matt/bought from), DarkCide (Talal/traded amps), Mctallica1 (Tony/bought from/traded), nyck (Nick/bought from), zao(Tom/bought from), guitup (Dennis/sold to), mparsons(Matt/sold to), gripside80 (Brian/sold to), LionHeaRT07 (Josh/sold to)

I don't see any reason why not.

The single recto combos are virtually the exact same chassis, just upside down to fit into the combo efficiently.

It would work just fine, assuming the tubes don't fall out.
    www.IKILLJACK.com
    www.myspace.com/IKILLJACK

Comment

You just need to turn up the electron accelerator so the electrons can make it up the hill.

Seriously tube amps can work upside down. Ever notice how some amps have tubes pointing up, some down, some sideways. It cause orientation does not matter as long as you provide the proper ventalation. That is something to keep in mind if you flip your amp over, the vent holes may now be on the bottom.

Comment

I used to stand my old DeVille on its' side a lot, due to those ****************ty collapsable stages that move around when you play. It was because I put non-locking castors on the bottom, and the thing would travel around the stage sometimes...

Comment

Yes, that would be fine...as long as they are not horizontal.
          The same reason why the Mesa and Marshall 20/20 power amps have so many problems...
          The EL84's can not handle being horizontal, and cause major problems...
          Also the reason VHT has never made a single space power amp...
          Steve
          If you don't add context and explain your opinion, your opinion is meaningless. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveVHT
            The same reason why the Mesa and Marshall 20/20 power amps have so many problems...
            Steve

interesting. so I should appreciate my marshall 9100 more?

even though I have to use 4 spaces (due to JJ 6L6 being much taller than sovtek 5881)
            BRO CLUB Member: BROSLINGER
            Proudly uses: STOMP UNDER FOOT pedals.

Comment

yes, but they don't work under water.

i learned that the hard way

Comment

Originally posted by Sty1es

The single recto combos are virtually the exact same chassis, just upside down to fit into the combo efficiently.

Shouldn't you be trying to get in touch with jerry?
                http://www.myspace.com/lesfaramineux

Comment

Originally posted by JimAnsell
                  yes, but they don't work under water.

i learned that the hard way

LOL.

I bet that will be my son`s next question. Or maybe if the amp will work if you throw it out of a flying plane.

He`s nutty,

Eric
                  Great transactions: Kung-Fool (Tom/traded amps), Major Third (Phil/bought from), Mr. Brady (Rob/sold to), Pwn3d (Nick/sold to), shreder75 (Matt/bought from), mhenson42 (Matt/bought from), Oblivion DC (Michael/bought from), Dropped_2_C (Scott/traded tubes), MCon (Matt/bought from), DarkCide (Talal/traded amps), Mctallica1 (Tony/bought from/traded), nyck (Nick/bought from), zao(Tom/bought from), guitup (Dennis/sold to), mparsons(Matt/sold to), gripside80 (Brian/sold to), LionHeaRT07 (Josh/sold to)

Comment

Originally posted by SteveVHT
                    Steve

Is this why you think amps like the vox AC15 and AC30 which have EL84's horrizontal are known tube eaters?

What's your theory as to why EL84's shouldn't be put horrizontal?

Comment

Originally posted by blackba

Is this why you think amps like the vox AC15 and AC30 which have EL84's horrizontal are known tube eaters?

What's your theory as to why EL84's shouldn't be put horrizontal?

They're horizontal in Voxen?
                      Vox Brotherhood
                      "Dirty 30" AC30 Crew

Fender Roadhouse Stratocaster
                      Fender MIJ Mustang
                      Yamaha SGV 800
                      Yamaha SC300t
                      Fender J. Mascis Jazzmaster
                      Fender Jazz bass

Orange Rocker 30
                      Valvetech Hayseed 30
                      EH Big Muff, Small Stone, Mini Q-tron, Bass balls

Comment

I asked a similiar question a few years ago when I was running a sovtet mig 60 head sitting on top of a Sovtek Mig 50H combo laying on it's side. All techs on here and local gave me the thumbs up. Tubes were EL34 and 5881's.
                        "Take the time to pull the weeds choking flowers in your life." J.Cantrell

Comment

quote:
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Originally posted by Sty1es

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Coustfan'01

Shouldn't you be trying to get in touch with jerry?

I is Boney Bones Lee-HCGB #280!

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleStain

They're horizontal in Voxen?

They are on my AC15, but apparently they aren't on the AC30, my mistake.

http://www.voxshowroom.com/northcoast/vox/new_amps/insidestory.html

Comment

Of course.....how do you think they do it in combo's!

Comment

Working...
                              X