Best Speakers for Stoner Rock/Doom

ThunderShepherd

• Members

i have an old Marshall cab that i feel like switching speakers out of.

what is the best speaker for stoner rock/doom/heavy rock sound? like, heavy as hell.

i'm looking for 12"s.

i have a Gibson LP Custom, an Ampeg V4, a Marshall JCM800 2204, Acoustic 140, and a slew of pedals.

i've been looking into Eminence and WGS, but i don't know whats the best for it.

• Members

The swamp thangs are good. A huge bottom, subdued mid and a smooth highend. I found mine needed some help, so I added Man O War's which are punchy and have a mid grind. MAde a nice Quad. The Tonkers are also good.

My favorites I've had though are my Celestion G12H 125w. Just huge lowend, very warm and when you crank up the treble/prescence, they sing.

• Members

swamp thangs, legends, and greenbacks

This is exactly what I'm currently working on...

mix the legends and swamp thangs for live. If you're recording use a track with the greenies to give you speaker break up when needed. If you try to play doom with greenies at the correct volume, in live situations, you will blow them

• Members

just thought i should mention, the cabs i'm using now are:

1978 Marshall 4x12 with original G12H30s (probably my favorite)

2002 Orange 4x12 with v30s (eh...)

1970s Ampeg 2x15 with orig. Altec Lansing speakers (this was amazing but the speakers are toast)

the one i'm wanting to mess around with is:

1978 Marshall 4x12 with orig. G1265s and some new v30s (kinda brittle)

• 2 months later...
  • Members

stoner/doom tends toward nice speaker breakup so i'd say since that's a 50 watter put some greenbacks, or hellatone 25 watters in there.

50 watter? Try 2 1/2 times that. V4/VT22s are some of the loudest amps you'll ever hear.

I would go with some G12H-30/V30 mix if I was sticking with Celestions. If I was going the WGS route I would go with either ET65, ET65/Vet 30 mix, or ET65/Retro 30 mix.

• Members

just thought i should mention, the cabs i'm using now are:

1978 Marshall 4x12 with original G12H30s (probably my favorite)

2002 Orange 4x12 with v30s (eh...)

1970s Ampeg 2x15 with orig. Altec Lansing speakers (this was amazing but the speakers are toast)

the one i'm wanting to mess around with is:

1978 Marshall 4x12 with orig. G1265s and some new v30s (kinda brittle)

Are the V30 broken in yet? If not give them a little time. If you just can't gel with the mid-spike, or the kind of hard coarse mids they have, then hunt down some old G1265 to pop in with the two you have.

• Members

swamp thangs, legends, and greenbacks

This is exactly what I'm currently working on...

mix the legends and swamp thangs for live. If you're recording use a track with the greenies to give you speaker break up when needed. If you try to play doom with greenies at the correct volume, in live situations, you will blow them

Nah, you just need more greenies.

Archived