Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hughes & Kettner TriAmp MkI - Worth it used?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hughes & Kettner TriAmp MkI - Worth it used?

Okay, so the opportunity presented itself to grab a Hughes & Kettner TriAmp MkI for cheap as hell. Like... sub $750 cheap.

Is this amp worth it? I know the MkII is supposed to be the holy grail of tonal versatility, but I haven't really heard anything about the MkI.

On top of that, is this amp worth picking up if it doesn't have the ridiculous footswitch with it? I've looked around the web and finding one seems like it's going to be pretty annoying and time consuming.

Any insight would be rad. Thanks guys!
    Singer / Songwriter / Guitarist
    Stereo Summer
    www.stereosummer.com
    www.facebook.com/stereosummer
    www.gotscene.com/stereosummer
    www.youtube.com/stereosummer

That's a good price - excellent amplifiers.

Footswitch could be a deal breaker - you using it live? does it have the MIDI control board and you have a MIDI switching rig?
    Have a listen and like my rock/stoner/thrash band Longhorn on Facebook

Comment

Well, I'd like to use it live. Currently I'm rocking a JCM900 4100 in 50-watt mode and eight year old tubes that somehow still sound great. Either way, I think it'd be a pretty big step up.

I don't have a midi rig at the moment, but the footswitch is midi-based. The stock footswitch for this amp has six channel selectors and an effects loop toggle. How would I set that up on a midi-controller, and would it work the same?
      Singer / Songwriter / Guitarist
      Stereo Summer
      www.stereosummer.com
      www.facebook.com/stereosummer
      www.gotscene.com/stereosummer
      www.youtube.com/stereosummer

Comment

There is a MIDI expansion board that plugs into the back of the amp. You use a MIDI floorboard into that and avoid the footswitch plug entirely.
        Have a listen and like my rock/stoner/thrash band Longhorn on Facebook

Comment

do it
          Originally Posted by mseriously30

My ****************ing life goal is to one day own a 70's Gibby such as that, a giant old Marshall stack with original 6x12 and be like, well, old and stuff, and play some loud ass doomy filthy melodies at my 70th birthday and embarrass the **************** out of everyone and maybe kill a small animal with my awesomness.

But secretly most everyone in hearing distance would envy me and it would only add to my lasting legacy.

Comment

Not a bad price. Working out the footswitch issue COULD put you pretty close to the going rate, depending on how frugal and vigilant you'll be.

Comment

Go for it, that amp is killer.
              Guitars: Godin Session CB, Larrivee D-05, Ibanez RG, Hagstrom Swede
              Amps/Cabs: Fargen Miniplex MKII, Egnater Tweaker, Fender Mustang III, Mills Afterburner 4x12

Good deals: Dimebag11, guitarslinger, ThePunisherTF, Wayne87mott, Kev324, zack, alaskaehlers, c2ply, ak37, droptrd, dboy5150, dropthisd, rbasaria, Shooto, Jon Hiller, DoubleBarrel, BabyDaddy, Edge11, bdhn, the gunslinger

"Hi, I'm Yesterday...and today I am looking for Tomorrow"- Maina

Comment

At that price? **************** yes! DO EET... DO EET NAO!
                Member of the Mesa/Boogie Mob m/m/

Uses & abuses: Mesa/Fender/Charvel/Jackson/Gibson/every pedal ever created.

Good deals: The Rossness, Laura the Valve Queen

Mustaine-Who? is a scammer, avoid this prick like the PLAGUE!

Originally Posted by Ron Burgandy

So in conclusion, if you like pussy then you like Strats. If you don't like Strats, it's because you secretly don't like pussy.

Originally Posted by NaturalBornBoy

Sheikpwnt

Originally Posted by Murdoch

We like to think of it as you leaving a foot-wide trail of fishy-smelling sand wherever you go.

Comment

Hi,

I just bought a Hughes and Kettner Triamp combo (only made in 1995) off eBay for

Comment

Turn that fOOker up, 50 watts is for pansies.
                    I endorse Laura & Valve Queen tubes, you should too.Marshall, Gibson, Fender, Charvel/Jackson."I'm happy to pay my tech $40 bucks to take the Zap for me."One kick-butt deal with johnpace2 Dave Friedman of RACKSYSTEMS is a genius.After the Firebird X, i'm quite convinced Henry Juszkiewicz is crazy.Member of the JMP Hall of Fame.

Comment

For under $750? ****************ing do it.
                      HOURS

Originally Posted by thegumbootman

I managed to not say the word "****************" until I was 18

In primary school when my friends discovered swearing, I thought "I've never said the f-word before. I'm never going to say it". I wanted to say it when I got older (mostly because my friends would nag me about saying it), but I just didn't want to end the streak of not-saying it

I ended up accidentally saying it to my girlfriend at the time. I said "Someone told me that Ben got with a really fat girl and he titty-****************ed her"

Comment

Update re. the Hughes & Kettner Triamp combo - I took the footboard apart and found the earth and two other wires disconnected. Soldered those up, and the footboard now works as it should. Then I took a close look at the 6L6 valves - one looked suspect. I've replaced it and everything seems to work - for the present anyway. Fingers crossed!

Comment

Working...
                        X