Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft has turned into apple ? windows 8

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I completely hated Windows 8 when I first used it, and have resisted moving to it as my main OS so far, but that's about to change. I had installed on a VM on my machine just so I could do some compatibility testing on my machine, and after using it for a while I'm completely sold. It was crazy confusing at first and I didn't like the way it looked at all, but I can see now the reason for it. It's CRAZY fast. I generally have about 6 apps running all the time, mostly development and database tools, and even in a VM I noticed that they were running significantly faster than the same apps running on my host Win 7 machine. I think a lot of that has to do with the new minimalist UI. No more wasted CPU cycles on making everything shiny/transparent. It's just sleek and streamlined. I'm still not crazy about the color schemes and new ALL CAPS menu system, but I guess it's ok. The most important thing I've learned is that if you plan to run Win 8 on a PC/laptop, you need to know your keyboard shortcuts. All the old shortcuts are still there (Alt + F4 to close an app/shut down, Win = Start Menu, Win+D = Desktop, Win + Arrow = Move window to different monitor), but a lot of the UI buttons for those have been either removed or moved around. So long as your comfortable w/ using the keyboard to navigate the UI, I don't think you'll have any problems with. The problem comes in if you rely heavily on the mouse to get around. Win 8 was definitely designed w/ the tablet PC in mind, so many of the navigation features employ the touch screen, gestures, and special buttons that those types of devices have. For those using it on a PC, though, I think the thought was that the keyboard is still the primary UI device.
    Gear:
    VHT Ultralead w/ GEQ
    Bogner Ecstasy
    Soldano SLO
    Mesa Trem-o-verb
    VHT Deliverance 4x12 Cab
    PRS Custom 22 20th Anniversary
    PRS Tremonti SE

View My HCAF Transactions:
    http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showpost.php?p=30459415&postcount=191

Comment

Grab start8. It gives you the start menu back and lets you totally bypass the new metro crap. It makes win8 actually usable as a desktop. I really don't know WTF MS was thinking with this.
      Originally Posted by James Hetfield

I AM THE TABLE!!

Guitars:
      LTD EC256:EMG's, Tonepros, Grovers
      Agile PS900 Blue Flame
      Ibanez Acoustic: V300CW
      Amps:
      EVH 5150 III 100w
      EVH 5150 III 4x12
      Effects:
      POD HD300
      MXR 10 Band EQ

Good Transactions: cadfael, kev324, sahlomonic, Lucius

Comment

Grab start8. It gives you the start menu back and lets you totally bypass the new metro crap. It makes win8 actually usable as a desktop. I really don't know WTF MS was thinking with this.
        Originally Posted by James Hetfield

I AM THE TABLE!!

Guitars:
        LTD EC256:EMG's, Tonepros, Grovers
        Agile PS900 Blue Flame
        Ibanez Acoustic: V300CW
        Amps:
        EVH 5150 III 100w
        EVH 5150 III 4x12
        Effects:
        POD HD300
        MXR 10 Band EQ

Good Transactions: cadfael, kev324, sahlomonic, Lucius

Comment

Its wierd but once you get the metro screen setup with everything you go to I find it quicker and more useful than the old start menu trees. A few tips (you have to change with the times)

1. Start using that windows key that has done 0 for its entire existence. It will pop you in and out of the last thing you do.

2. In metro, need to find something just start typing. It will automatically jump over to the awesome search engine. Honestly its faster for me to type the first word and click on an icon then navigate down the old windows 7 menu.
          Guitars:
          2011 Gibson LP Traditional Plus
          2004 Gibson LP Studio Alpine White
          1996 Yamaha 121d w/SD screamin deamon
          2002 Ibanez RG 470 MIJ
          Yamaha Acoustic

Amps
          Marshall JVM 210h
          Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
          Peavey Ultra 60
          BlackStar HT-5 Combo
          BlackStar HT-100

Cabs
          Peavey Ultra 412
          Marshall 1960a
          Marshall MF280

http://www.facebook.com/sin4sin

Comment

Its wierd but once you get the metro screen setup with everything you go to I find it quicker and more useful than the old start menu trees. A few tips (you have to change with the times)

1. Start using that windows key that has done 0 for its entire existence. It will pop you in and out of the last thing you do.

2. In metro, need to find something just start typing. It will automatically jump over to the awesome search engine. Honestly its faster for me to type the first word and click on an icon then navigate down the old windows 7 menu.
            Guitars:
            2011 Gibson LP Traditional Plus
            2004 Gibson LP Studio Alpine White
            1996 Yamaha 121d w/SD screamin deamon
            2002 Ibanez RG 470 MIJ
            Yamaha Acoustic

Amps
            Marshall JVM 210h
            Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
            Peavey Ultra 60
            BlackStar HT-5 Combo
            BlackStar HT-100

Cabs
            Peavey Ultra 412
            Marshall 1960a
            Marshall MF280

http://www.facebook.com/sin4sin

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by madrigal77
              View Post

That certainly works, but why even move from Win 7 in that case?
              Main Rig:
              LTD EC1000
              Peavey 6505+
              Mesa/Boogie Recto 2x12 with V30's
              TC Nova System

FOR SALE:
              Spools of Canare GS-6 - The most transparent cable I've come across. Click for details.
              M-Audio Audiophile 2496 Sound Card

Good transactions with Digital Jams, Dimebag11, Greazygeo, ENdtime, Fagmotron 3000, thenakedarab, TheAmazingBlob, ZOMBIELAND, mike59271, LoopQuantum.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by madrigal77
                View Post

That certainly works, but why even move from Win 7 in that case?
                Main Rig:
                LTD EC1000
                Peavey 6505+
                TC Nova System

FOR SALE:
                Spools of Canare GS-6 - The most transparent cable I've come across. Click for details.

Good transactions with Digital Jams, Dimebag11, Greazygeo, ENdtime, Fagmotron 3000, thenakedarab, TheAmazingBlob, ZOMBIELAND, mike59271, LoopQuantum.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by -=Pennywise=-
                  View Post

OMFG the fact you used that image as your avatar totally redeems your lack of intelligence in that other thread

Kudos buddy, kudos
                  My project: http://www.myspace.com/humanconspiracymusic

Bogner Ecstasy 101b :: Blackstar HT5-H :: Trinity Triwatt DR103 clone (Click to view build thread)
                  Bogner 4x12 :: Genz Benz 2x12 :: Homebuilt 2x12 loaded with (2) Weber FC12's for the Triwatt

Great Transactions: Skaaks, Skunx, CARRguitar, Zacman0126, theweight, heatfromcold, Ricky Bobby

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by -=Pennywise=-
                    View Post

OMFG the fact you used that image as your avatar totally redeems your lack of intelligence in that other thread

Kudos buddy, kudos
                    My project: http://www.myspace.com/humanconspiracymusic

Bogner Ecstasy 101b :: Blackstar HT5-H :: Trinity Triwatt DR103 clone (Click to view build thread)
                    Bogner 4x12 :: Genz Benz 2x12 :: Homebuilt 2x12 loaded with (2) Weber FC12's for the Triwatt

Great Transactions: Skaaks, Skunx, CARRguitar, Zacman0126, theweight, heatfromcold, Ricky Bobby

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Bucksstudent
                      View Post

Yes, but how long will PCs have Windows 7 for people who need new computers but don't want Windows 8? When the old, good stuff a person loves becomes obsolete, that person is left in the dark.

Yep, left in the dark. The World doesn't wait around for those resistant to change.
                      BobSavage.net - Music, Amp demos...
                      Youtube Vids
                      Savage Woodworks

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Bucksstudent
                        View Post

Yes, but how long will PCs have Windows 7 for people who need new computers but don't want Windows 8? When the old, good stuff a person loves becomes obsolete, that person is left in the dark.

Yep, left in the dark. The World doesn't wait around for those resistant to change.
                        Youtube Vids
                        Savage Woodworks

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Savage
                          View Post

I agree, but the fact is that as a desktop operating system, Win 8 does not make Win 7 obsolete. They are basically the same, but Windows 7 doesn't have all the tablet/Metro stuff that non-tablet users don't need anyways. I'm building a computer right now, and I'm installing Windows 7 on it because I don't want to have to install another piece of software (Start8) to make it work like a desktop computer. Besides, Start8 is basically a hack to the OS, and I don't like that.
                          Main Rig:
                          LTD EC1000
                          Peavey 6505+
                          TC Nova System

FOR SALE:

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Savage
                            View Post

I agree, but the fact is that as a desktop operating system, Win 8 does not make Win 7 obsolete. They are basically the same, but Windows 7 doesn't have all the tablet/Metro stuff that non-tablet users don't need anyways. I'm building a computer right now, and I'm installing Windows 7 on it because I don't want to have to install another piece of software (Start8) to make it work like a desktop computer. Besides, Start8 is basically a hack to the OS, and I don't like that.
                            Main Rig:
                            LTD EC1000
                            Peavey 6505+
                            TC Nova System

FOR SALE:

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by OverDriven
                              View Post

Agreed completely and furthermore a PC being obsolete is a situational/personal thing. If the one you have still does the job then it's not obsolete. Getting support is another thing but PCs are so cheap nowadays that if it's dead after 4 years (or less) you just buy a new one.
                              Youtube Vids
                              Savage Woodworks

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by OverDriven
                                View Post

Agreed completely and furthermore a PC being obsolete is a situational/personal thing. If the one you have still does the job then it's not obsolete. Getting support is another thing but PCs are so cheap nowadays that if it's dead after 4 years (or less) you just buy a new one.
                                Youtube Vids
                                Savage Woodworks

Comment

Working...
                                X