Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Microsoft has turned into apple ? windows 8

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse









X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16






    Quote Originally Posted by Bucksstudent
    View Post

    Bill Gates actually said that people will migrate/gravitate to tablet styled PCs rather than the normal old fashioned kind. I disagree, but that's obviously where Microsoft is going. I just wish that they gave US, the consumer, a choice.




    We've had choices. From large battery case car phones to current smart phone stuff. Some still sell old flip phones if we like.



    We have an iPad and an Asus TF300T with keyboard dock on Jelly Bean. We have an iMac, two desktop beasts for gaming or recording (both on Win 7 64) and now we have a cool Touchscreen PC on Win 8. Anyone familiar with mobile apps should have no problem with Win 8 (in terms of basic function).



    Win is doing what other brands do by attempting to cross hardware platforms for tablet, laptop and smartphone (mobile) to Desktop with full integration. In the long term it just simplifies the process.



    Apple has the right idea too but its just too proprietary imo..

    Comment


    • #17






      Quote Originally Posted by Bucksstudent
      View Post

      Bill Gates actually said that people will migrate/gravitate to tablet styled PCs rather than the normal old fashioned kind. I disagree, but that's obviously where Microsoft is going. I just wish that they gave US, the consumer, a choice.




      We've had choices. From large battery case car phones to current smart phone stuff. Some still sell old flip phones if we like.



      We have an iPad and an Asus TF300T with keyboard dock on Jelly Bean. We have an iMac, two desktop beasts for gaming or recording (both on Win 7 64) and now we have a cool Touchscreen PC on Win 8. Anyone familiar with mobile apps should have no problem with Win 8 (in terms of basic function).



      Win is doing what other brands do by attempting to cross hardware platforms for tablet, laptop and smartphone (mobile) to Desktop with full integration. In the long term it just simplifies the process.



      Apple has the right idea too but its just too proprietary imo..

      Comment


      • #18






        Quote Originally Posted by HKSblade1
        View Post

        We've had choices. From large battery case car phones to current smart phone stuff. Some still sell old flip phones if we like.



        We have an iPad and an Asus TF300T with keyboard dock on Jelly Bean. We have an iMac, two desktop beasts for gaming or recording (both on Win 7 64) and now we have a cool Touchscreen PC on Win 8.



        Win is doing what other brands do by attempting to cross hardware platforms for tablet, laptop and smartphone (mobile) to Desktop with full integration. In the long term it just simplifies the process.



        Apple has the right idea too but its just too proprietary imo..




        Yes, but how long will PCs have Windows 7 for people who need new computers but don't want Windows 8? When the old, good stuff a person loves becomes obsolete, that person is left in the dark.
        .

        Comment


        • #19






          Quote Originally Posted by HKSblade1
          View Post

          We've had choices. From large battery case car phones to current smart phone stuff. Some still sell old flip phones if we like.



          We have an iPad and an Asus TF300T with keyboard dock on Jelly Bean. We have an iMac, two desktop beasts for gaming or recording (both on Win 7 64) and now we have a cool Touchscreen PC on Win 8.



          Win is doing what other brands do by attempting to cross hardware platforms for tablet, laptop and smartphone (mobile) to Desktop with full integration. In the long term it just simplifies the process.



          Apple has the right idea too but its just too proprietary imo..




          Yes, but how long will PCs have Windows 7 for people who need new computers but don't want Windows 8? When the old, good stuff a person loves becomes obsolete, that person is left in the dark.
          .

          Comment


          • #20
            I've only used Windows 8 for a little while when I was messing around with a Surface.... like most things it took a little getting used to but it wasn't difficult to use IMO and like everyone said the traditional desktop is there any time you need it.. I kinda like having the two different places so now you can do different groups for shortcuts etc. However I would say I did find it really nice to use with a touch screen which IMO seems like what they designed it for, not sure how all the features would translate to a non-touchscreen system..
            <div class="signaturecontainer">Member of the SG Army<img src="http://img3.harmony-central.com/acapella/ubb/thumb.gif" border="0" alt="" title="thumbs up" class="inlineimg" /></div>

            Comment


            • #21
              I've only used Windows 8 for a little while when I was messing around with a Surface.... like most things it took a little getting used to but it wasn't difficult to use IMO and like everyone said the traditional desktop is there any time you need it.. I kinda like having the two different places so now you can do different groups for shortcuts etc. However I would say I did find it really nice to use with a touch screen which IMO seems like what they designed it for, not sure how all the features would translate to a non-touchscreen system..
              <div class="signaturecontainer">Member of the SG Army<img src="http://img3.harmony-central.com/acapella/ubb/thumb.gif" border="0" alt="" title="thumbs up" class="inlineimg" /></div>

              Comment


              • #22






                Quote Originally Posted by Bucksstudent
                View Post

                Yes, but how long will PCs have Windows 7 for people who need new computers but don't want Windows 8? When the old, good stuff a person loves becomes obsolete, that person is left in the dark.




                In a year all my newer PC's will be basically obsolete. It's just the way things go. These designers and computer companies as well as software companies expect consumers to follow along with the technology.



                I've bought 3 revisions of Pro Tools, and 5 revisions of Cubase and Sonar. Every time I get the latest system and the latest software I find it just works better, offers more flexibility or more creativity in the workflow.



                It took me a couple days to get used to any system whether it was an ipad, my Mac, Asus Tablet, or the new Win 8 PC. Any significant change in hardware or software requires some time working with it.



                Win 8 imo is nothing like the Vista fail. People are just ****************ting their pants because its a different look or feel to the UI. From my use with it in the past week or so it's pretty sweet. Really fast loading programs, very easy on productivity. I was able to make setlists in no time. Had a simple doc with a couple cells and was able to drag and reorganize the playlist in minutes for what took much longer using the mouse.

                Comment


                • #23






                  Quote Originally Posted by Bucksstudent
                  View Post

                  Yes, but how long will PCs have Windows 7 for people who need new computers but don't want Windows 8? When the old, good stuff a person loves becomes obsolete, that person is left in the dark.




                  In a year all my newer PC's will be basically obsolete. It's just the way things go. These designers and computer companies as well as software companies expect consumers to follow along with the technology.



                  I've bought 3 revisions of Pro Tools, and 5 revisions of Cubase and Sonar. Every time I get the latest system and the latest software I find it just works better, offers more flexibility or more creativity in the workflow.



                  It took me a couple days to get used to any system whether it was an ipad, my Mac, Asus Tablet, or the new Win 8 PC. Any significant change in hardware or software requires some time working with it.



                  Win 8 imo is nothing like the Vista fail. People are just ****************ting their pants because its a different look or feel to the UI. From my use with it in the past week or so it's pretty sweet. Really fast loading programs, very easy on productivity. I was able to make setlists in no time. Had a simple doc with a couple cells and was able to drag and reorganize the playlist in minutes for what took much longer using the mouse.

                  Comment


                  • #24






                    Quote Originally Posted by HKSblade1
                    View Post

                    Win 8 imo is nothing like the Vista fail.




                    Windows 8 is commercially a bigger failure than Vista so far.

                    Plus, most of the Vista vs Windows 7 hate was regurgitated "stuff I herd on the intarwebz", because Windows 7 is mostly a reskinned Vista anyway. By the time 7 came out most manufacturers had finally gotten their driver act together, which is why people were more positive about it. Having been running a Vista 64-bit home basic since the early days, I did my share of swearing at the totally rotten driver support and even more rotten 64bit support from many manufacturers, but I'm glad it has cleared up, and that system is still running pretty well as my DAW (though it's getting old, it's still running an old AMD Phenom).
                    <div class="signaturecontainer">Marshall 2466 Vintage Modern.<br />
                    Cabs: Mesa/Boogie Vertical 2x12 (half-back)<br />
                    Guitars: Ibanez UV777PBK, Ibanez K7 (with BKP Painkillers), Shecter 006 Deluxe, Jackson Kelly Standard, Ibanez SRX705, Takamine Classical, Taylor Acoustic.</div>

                    Comment


                    • #25






                      Quote Originally Posted by HKSblade1
                      View Post

                      Win 8 imo is nothing like the Vista fail.




                      Windows 8 is commercially a bigger failure than Vista so far.

                      Plus, most of the Vista vs Windows 7 hate was regurgitated "stuff I herd on the intarwebz", because Windows 7 is mostly a reskinned Vista anyway. By the time 7 came out most manufacturers had finally gotten their driver act together, which is why people were more positive about it. Having been running a Vista 64-bit home basic since the early days, I did my share of swearing at the totally rotten driver support and even more rotten 64bit support from many manufacturers, but I'm glad it has cleared up, and that system is still running pretty well as my DAW (though it's getting old, it's still running an old AMD Phenom).
                      <div class="signaturecontainer">Marshall 2466 Vintage Modern.<br />
                      Cabs: Mesa/Boogie Vertical 2x12 (half-back)<br />
                      Guitars: Ibanez UV777PBK, Ibanez K7 (with BKP Painkillers), Shecter 006 Deluxe, Jackson Kelly Standard, Ibanez SRX705, Takamine Classical, Taylor Acoustic.</div>

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        i have win 8 & aside from lagging driver availability for some things I like it. Use it in traditional mode on a non-touch PC & avoid the metro part.



                        except for xbox (edit: & zune), microsoft has generally avoided the 'hey, we're hip' marketing - but this latest push with win 8 & surface is very apple-like. needs more dancing silhouettes



                        Comment


                        • #27
                          i have win 8 & aside from lagging driver availability for some things I like it. Use it in traditional mode on a non-touch PC & avoid the metro part.



                          except for xbox (edit: & zune), microsoft has generally avoided the 'hey, we're hip' marketing - but this latest push with win 8 & surface is very apple-like. needs more dancing silhouettes



                          Comment


                          • #28
                            I need to get a win7 key. Looking at prices it's cheaper to get a win8 cd now but I don't want to deal with the new OS driver issues. Any word on downgrade issues at the moment?
                            <div class="signaturecontainer"><div class="bbcode_container">
                            <div class="bbcode_quote">
                            <div class="quote_container">
                            <div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div>

                            <div class="bbcode_postedby">
                            <img src="images/misc/quote_icon.png" alt="Quote" /> Originally Posted by <strong>flummox</strong>
                            <a href="showthread.php?p=41895935#post41895935" rel="nofollow"><img class="inlineimg" src="images/buttons/viewpost-right.png" alt="View Post" /></a>
                            </div>
                            <div class="message">I dunno, this one sort of grows on you. It's like a cross between Captain Beefheart and eight or nine solid blows to the head with a shovel.</div>

                            </div>
                            </div>
                            </div> </div>

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              I need to get a win7 key. Looking at prices it's cheaper to get a win8 cd now but I don't want to deal with the new OS driver issues. Any word on downgrade issues at the moment?
                              <div class="signaturecontainer"><div class="bbcode_container">
                              <div class="bbcode_quote">
                              <div class="quote_container">
                              <div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div>

                              <div class="bbcode_postedby">
                              <img src="images/misc/quote_icon.png" alt="Quote" /> Originally Posted by <strong>flummox</strong>
                              <a href="showthread.php?p=41895935#post41895935" rel="nofollow"><img class="inlineimg" src="images/buttons/viewpost-right.png" alt="View Post" /></a>
                              </div>
                              <div class="message">I dunno, this one sort of grows on you. It's like a cross between Captain Beefheart and eight or nine solid blows to the head with a shovel.</div>

                              </div>
                              </div>
                              </div> </div>

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                At first I was skeptical about this too. I'm a systems engineer at a government contractor, just for my background.



                                I said to hell with it a month or two ago and installed windows 8 and office 2013 on my work machine. At first it was a little wierd, but once you learn how to get around again I find navigation to be superior. I'm impressed with 2 things. Microsoft is finally in a position that it needs to innovate again and having a full featured OS on a tablet is much better than something like iOS where you get a handicapped version with tightly controlled 3rd party software.



                                Apple is now stuck in a position that Microsoft was where it is hard to innovate because they are worried about alienating their client base.
                                <div class="signaturecontainer">Guitars:<br />
                                2011 Gibson LP Traditional Plus<br />
                                2004 Gibson LP Studio Alpine White<br />
                                1996 Yamaha 121d w/SD screamin deamon<br />
                                2002 Ibanez RG 470 MIJ<br />
                                Yamaha Acoustic<br />
                                <br />
                                Amps<br />
                                Marshall JVM 210h<br />
                                Vox Valvetronix AD15VT<br />
                                Peavey Ultra 60<br />
                                BlackStar HT-5 Combo<br />
                                BlackStar HT-100<br />
                                <br />
                                Cabs<br />
                                Peavey Ultra 412<br />
                                Marshall 1960a<br />
                                Marshall MF280<br />
                                <br />
                                <a href="http://www.facebook.com/sin4sin" target="_blank">http://www.facebook.com/sin4sin</a></div>

                                Comment



                                Working...
                                X