No announcement yet.

MySpace is dead?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MySpace is dead?

Just started making music again after a hiatus....seems now MySpace is dead? I used to be able to go there and find a whole bunch of people interested in hearing new bands....now it's just other bands 'friending up' to promote themselves....is that the case or have i missed something?

From what I gather now, it's all about paying for radio plays on Last FM and Jango, and getting released via TuneCore....but that makes it tough to get plays and exposure.

Am I deeply misguided here? Help!
    http://www.themouthofghosts.com "Fusing alternative rock and trip-hop, The Mouth Of Ghosts are a band from London who make moody, textured music, fueled by ragged guitars and distant electronics."

And....are there any sites that have replaced it other than by paying....Reverbnation seems ok, but I get the impression you can left out here without anyone ever hearing you here, and there's little you can do about it....thanks!
    http://www.themouthofghosts.com "Fusing alternative rock and trip-hop, The Mouth Of Ghosts are a band from London who make moody, textured music, fueled by ragged guitars and distant electronics."

Comment

Yes, MySpace is dead.

Too many bands spamming the **************** out of kids that don't care about music anyway killed it.
      If we crave some cosmic purpose, then let us find ourselves a worthy goal.
      -- Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot

Comment

Yes, MySpace is dead.

Too many bands spamming the **************** out of kids that don't care about music anyway killed it.

so the same as me !
        Koozies | Great Koozies

Comment

For hosting music, try bandcamp.com
          It's really cool.
          But it doesn't have the networking thing that myspace has... it's just for putting your albums up, and it's up to you to steer people to your page. However, if you've got a proper album out (as in more than just a few random demos), there is no site easier and simpler for hosting your music, for streaming and download!

Comment

Yes bandcamp is great. But people rarely buy music online. The only place you can really sell **************** is live... If you can find a place to play that doesn't ask you to pay in the first place.

Comment

It seems like the thing now is to at least have a myspace, facebook, and twitter as a minimum and then keep other sites in addition. Look into linking status updates to one central place using apps like ping.fm. That way you hit multiple social networking communities online. I know for my band we are having plenty of success with myspace still.
              ^^ ** ^^

Comment

Myspace is pretty much dead where I am.... annoying as hell.

Then again, go on myspace and it's just wannabe scene bands using it as their primary marketing stage.
                I'm a sharpened flat - I'm a natural.

Originally Posted by bloodxandxrank

... If all else fails make the guitarist do it.....

^On the matter of learning harsh vocals.^

Originally Posted by wrongnote85

They wont go away, they'll just start making dubstep.

^On whether the '-core' bands will ever go away^

Comment

Yes bandcamp is great. But people rarely buy music online. The only place you can really sell **************** is live... If you can find a place to play that doesn't ask you to pay in the first place.

And more and more, you can't even sell CD's at live gigs. Lots of folks play gigs where the audience gets in free but then you try to sell them a $10 CD. The model is probably backwards - you should maybe give away all of your music for free and build a following, then charge 5 bucks to get in. And play at venues where you can make money doing this. And if you give away your music for free and can't gain a following... then how the heck do you expect to gain a following CHARGING for your music?

The rules have changed and it's taking us forever to figure out what the new rules are. But I'm becoming more and more convinced that the only way to make any kind of money or gain any kind of audience is to give everything away and try to make money on live shows. Um, and then also offer some higher-priced products to the 5% of your fans who will actually pay... deluxe CD sets, t-shirts, etc.
                  ---
                  Richard MacLemale
                  My Website at www.richardmac.com

Comment

Seems like the majority of the myspace musicians have moved on to reverbnation.com.

Seems like zebox.com is down due to hardware problems, probably permanently.

Reverbnation also allows pushing of your music to online stores so there's that.

Comment

They really nerfed Myspace into being a ****************ty facebook alternative.

Comment

I visited an internet cafe while on vacation in Mexico last month. Sitting next to me is a german kid, on the other side is an israeli kid, behind me is a mexican kid. All of them were looking at Facebook

Does FB host music uploads ?
                        an expert on what it feels like to be me
                        & you are who you google
                        http://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1

Comment

I visited an internet cafe while on vacation in Mexico last month. Sitting next to me is a german kid, on the other side is an israeli kid, behind me is a mexican kid. All of them were looking at Facebook

They are talking to each other. They don't care about my band, or yours.

You can use reverbnation's app to put your stuff on Facebook.

Comment

They are talking to each other. They don't care about my band, or yours.

You can use reverbnation's app to put your stuff on Facebook.

yeap, I 'll use it for my Facebook. Thanks a lot !
                            Cheap Koozies

Comment

I was in Australia last year and there were seven computer terminals at the hostel I was staying. Six of them were people logged onto Facebook.

As for FB, yes it does host music uploads if you have a fan page set up for the "musician" category. However the interface is very rudimentary and your playlist isn't as prominent on the page as the MySpace page.

Still, MySpace is a sinking ship, and if you're in a band that's even halfway serious about promoting itself, you'd have your own dedicated web site/domain name anyway.
                              Elson TrinidadSinger, Songwriter, Keyboardist, BassistElson and the Soul BarkadaWeb: www.elsongs.comMySpace: www.myspace.com/elsongsFacebook: Facebook PageTwitter: twitter.com/elsongs

Comment

Working...
                              X