Ok let's beat this dead horse...Monitors

• Members

I know there have been a lot of monitor posts over the last month or so... but humor me ;)

I had planned on purchasing some Sonic M12's or 15's. I finally heard back from the company who told me that they are made of OSB. So that's out. Any suggestions in the $3-400per range? I'm looking for 2 to 3 at that price. Having a hard time finding something worth while at that price. Phil, Andy and Mark have made me a believer in the buy once cry once. If I can find something better for a $100 more per speaker I could swing it. New or used any ideas?

Thanks again for beating this dead horse with me lol!

• Members

Ok let's beat this dead horse...Monitors

Hey... I resemble that remark!

What about the JBL SRX 12" monitors. I haven't seen any in a while, and don't know the price, but it would be a good bet that they are a decent performer.

I also may have some new GB's here, e-mail me if you are interested.

• Members

I'm a big fan of Community's MVP line of monitors. I have a pair of 12'' inchers that have been subjected to things you would not expect them to survive. They've soaked in water for a day and a half, which killed my JBL SF15s. They've survived a stupid sound tech bridging a K2 into them and clipping the amp. They've survived runaway feedback countless times. They've been kicked all over the stage. I'm 300 pounds and routinely stand on them during a performance.

They're tough, good sounding little buggers. I paid $200 ea. for them from www.getyourgearhere.com

• Members

we have all Yorkie elites in out rental inventory...mostly the older EM408 but we have a few newer E15 and E12's and they are great for the money but not quite in the 3-400 range....however out of about 16 boxes over the past 2 years..0 failures

I've heard good things about the community wedges as well but i've never heard them.....

• Members

Couple to consider

Yorkville NX350. Redesign of the NX20. I have used the NX20's and they are pretty nice and easy on the back. The new design is slightly larger and they go a little lower with a slightly tighter dispersion. Under $400, light, efficient, articulate and can be used as mains as well. Great warranty. Production is scheduled to start any time now.

Cerwin Vega VIS-122 - 12" coaxial. 13 ply baltic birch, benefits of coaxial design, efficient, good power handling - especially from CV. May be in your price range, but barely. Listed as COMING SOON

Cerwin Vega PSX-122 - 12" coaxial - plywood, less power handling, less efficient. Surely will be in your price range. Listed as COMING SOON

Also odd that the JBL MPro line has no monitor. There's an SF series and SR series, but no MP. If there were I'd say go with that, but unless I'm blind I don't see it offered anyplace

• Members
Originally posted by tony k

I know there have been a lot of monitor posts over the last month or so... but humor me
;)
I had planned on purchasing some Sonic M12's or 15's. I finally heard back from the company who told me that they are made of OSB. So that's out. Any suggestions in the $3-400per range? I'm looking for 2 to 3 at that price. Having a hard time finding something worth while at that price. Phil, Andy and Mark have made me a believer in the buy once cry once. If I can find something better for a $100 more per speaker I could swing it. New or used any ideas?

Thanks again for beating this dead horse with me lol!

OSB isn't a bad material for cabs,IMO. Not as good as plywood ordinarily,but far better than particle board. Otherwise,those C-V's look ok.

• Members

ONE MORE THAT I'M SURE WILL GET SOME KIND OF RESPONSE - Carvin TCS 115M (their touring line cabinet). $399 - 13 ply birch, polycoated box, biampable, high power handling. Something to consider. Would be a high end MI box at a decent price. Looks like they are closing them out. They are $40 less than what they usually sell for.

• Members

Man you guys are great! Thanks for all the ideas! I did see a Jbl MPro 12" mon. on a website and had considered that.

Had not even thought of Yorkies...I'll definately check some out.

I did look at the Jbl SRX's, just too much $$$. I'm hoping to find something even used in that price range that I'm not going to want to upgrade a year from now.

I also found some used Community wedges on soundbroker. Two 12"s and one 1" in the middle. $1300 for two with a case plus shipping. I'd really wanted to check those out but it's just more than I can spend right now.

Thanks again for your help. Andy I'll send you an email!

tony

• Members

Thanks abzurd. I wouldn't have thought of that. Will check them out.

Can someone tell me the difference between osb and mdf? I always thought they were similar products.

As far as osb and mdf goes, we routinely carry gear in the back of pickups in 20 below zero weather, through 1 to 3 foot blizzards, up hill both ways. Things tend to get wet from the snow and have been dropped due to frozen fingers. No exaggeration there! A trailer is in our future but probably not until almost spring.

• Members

Thanks abzurd. I wouldn't have thought of that. Will check them out.

Can someone tell me the difference between osb and mdf? I always thought they were similar products.

As far as osb and mdf goes, we routinely carry gear in the back of pickups in 20 below zero weather, through 1 to 3 foot blizzards, up hill both ways. Things tend to get wet from the snow and have been dropped due to frozen fingers. No exaggeration there! A trailer is in our future but probably not until almost spring.

MDF is like fine sawdust glued mixed with glue to hold it all together. OSB is like chunks of wood glued and pressed together. The good stuff is pretty durable and moisture resistent.

• Members

That clears it up! I'm looking at that Carvin TCS line. I forgot how interesting those looked. Though for the price I'd like to know how they stack up to the JBL MP's and similar classed boxes. It seems once you start comparing apples to apples, carvin's light starts to dim a little. Though I must say, 13 ply baltic, dual speakons and a 14ga. grill for $430 isn't too bad ;)

• Members

That clears it up! I'm looking at that Carvin TCS line. I forgot how interesting those looked. Though for the price I'd like to know how they stack up to the JBL MP's and similar classed boxes. It seems once you start comparing apples to apples, carvin's light starts to dim a little. Though I must say, 13 ply baltic, dual speakons and a 14ga. grill for $430 isn't too bad
;)

I use Carvin speakers for my mains. For the money, I've yet to hear anything better sounding. They tend to get dismissed here pretty quickly, but I like their PA stuff a lot.

• Members

I suggested looking at them because they are a step up from common Carvin fare. I've had Carvin cabinets in the past. short review:

Good cabinet construction and features, poor components. What's the point of a tire that with long tread life if it isn't going to hold the road?

Kind of the opposite of the Yamaha Club series.

• Members

Originally posted by 80zboy

Guess I'll be lonely in my opinion here, but I like my Behringers for the price.

Does not really apply to the post. User wants non-MDF / OSB, quality box that is reliable and has a budget of $400 per box. Behringer monitor is none of these things. Unlike the vast majority who post here, he doesn't want the cheapest thing that makes noise.

• Members

1) Sonic seems to use good OSB and carpet. I've seen several of their monitor cabs survive just fine for 10 years here in the tropics (hot, humid, hurricanes.) If they still offer options, go with the top shelf components...big difference in sound.

2) Carvin is now trying to portray the TCS line as a separate entity.....which they should because it IS a far cry from standard Carvin fare. I think TCS is more akin to Yorkville (pro construction, B&C drivers), and both brands seem to be a good value in that Upper MI/Pro Sound catagory.

• Members

Originally posted by abzurd

Unlike the vast majority who post here, he doesn't want the cheapest thing that makes noise.

Woops... misunderstood his statement "Any suggestions in the $3-400per range? I'm looking for 2 to 3 at that price."

I thought he wanted 2 or 3 monitors for $3-400... missed the 'per' part.

• Members

Funny... I was going to mention those Peavey's too. I rented some once and really liked them. If I'm not mistaken, they have a volume knob on them which I really liked.

The reason I never mentioned them, is that I wasn't sure what material they're made from and couldn't find any info on that.

• Members

Originally posted by abzurd

3/4" OSB. Not the greatest freq response in the world, although they may be the most honest. 100 - 14K. You can view link and manual in the PA guide link below. They are under Multi App Speakers in the Under $500 section.

Damn, the Cerwin Vega SM-122 looks good for the money.

• Members

Originally posted by SoundtechSD

I'm a big fan of Community's MVP line of monitors. I have a pair of 12'' inchers that have been subjected to things you would not expect them to survive. They've soaked in water for a day and a half, which killed my JBL SF15s. They've survived a stupid sound tech bridging a K2 into them and clipping the amp. They've survived runaway feedback countless times. They've been kicked all over the stage. I'm 300 pounds and routinely stand on them during a performance.

They're tough, good sounding little buggers. I paid $200 ea. for them from
www.getyourgearhere.com

Since bassknave doesn't stop in too much anymore, I'll add his second to that. He was always heartily recommending the Community MVP series monitors as great wedges for the price.

Archived