No announcement yet.

Midas Venice 320 vs. A&H GL2200-32 vs. Yamaha MC32/12

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midas Venice 320 vs. A&H GL2200-32 vs. Yamaha MC32/12

I'm getting the itch to replace my Mackie SR32-4 with a better console. These are all around $3K. I can make any of these work just fine. The Yami has a few more busses, which would be nice...BUT I really am looking for a good quality board.

Any hands on opinions would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks...

Well, I'll give you the generic answer which is (w/out any other info) what you'll likely to encounter anywhere. But unfortunatly I havn't used the Yamie MC, so I won't comment on it.

The GL is a nice board, nice and flexible, does what you ask. The venice is basically all the same feature set, but a little less flexible in the aux department (2 fixed @ post fade + 2 fixed @ pre) and it comes a little 'messed up' post/pre eq throughout the aux's (aux 1/ post eq, 3/4 pre?, 5/6 post)

The preamps in the Venice are the same found in the XL4's, no problems with those at all. I have found that the total output on the l/r bus to be quieter than the GL's, not too sure about the aux's I havn't a/b those when I've switched out the GL for some gigs.

If you've got the cash, I'd go with the venice, but if you need the extra channels, the gl would be the way to go, or else look at the new verona (believe starts 8ish?).

My $0.02 - duty taxes
    Brad Harris
    Myspace

Comment

IMO:

the Yamaha is not as good as the other two.

I didn't get to A/B the midas with the AH, but I went with the AH due to long throw faders. I also remember midas being more pricey than the AH, but I really don't remember exact figures for it was some time ago.

one salesman told me they thought the venice had a better sound than the GL2200.

Comment

I have worked on one of the Yamaha's (just verifying specs) and found it to be very well constructed.

Soundwise, I think it would depend a lot on what kind of speakers, mics, etc that you have before automatically assuming that any one of them sounds better than any other.

The mic pre is a very small part of the overall sound. All three companies have the technology to make a fine product.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

Don't overlook the Soundcraft Live stuff.

Comment

in order of best to worst IMO

Venice - great sound (but dont care for the 60mm faders)

GL2200 - Great value period!

Yammie MC- IMO a design failure - crappy pres, EQ, construction, reviews, resale!
            Dan
            dan@audioeast.com

Audio East ~ New England Sound & Lighting
            Authorized Dealers: Allen & Heath, Audix, Audio Technica, Ashly, Crest, Crown, DBX, Drawmer, Soundcraft, JBL, Midas, EV, Klark Teknik, TC Electronic, Lexicon, CBI, Yorkville, Gator Cases, Whirlwind, ProCo, Shure, Chauvet

Like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...07437315944568

Comment

Originally posted by Audioeast
              in order of best to worst IMO

Venice - great sound (but dont care for the 60mm faders)

GL2200 - Great value period!

Yammie MC- IMO a design failure - crappy pres, EQ, construction, reviews, resale!

I "deconstructed" one and found the construction to be very good... single PCB (not my preferred choice but acceptable in that price point) double sided glass-epoxy, excellent wave-soldering and preamps / eq very similar to other Yamaha products including older PM series consoles. I haven't seen any reviews, but it's certainly acceptable (for the price point) in my opinion.

Isn't the Yamaha significantly cheaper (street price) than either of the other two?
              -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Comment

AH, did you use the single pole low-pass filter at 12.7kHz to verify the noise measurements of the Yamaha? That's one of the funniest things I've read on a spec sheet. They use that on everything, I even tried it once on ours, and got about 3dB better measurements on everything.

SoundMan

Comment

Originally posted by SoundMan
                  AH, did you use the single pole low-pass filter at 12.7kHz to verify the noise measurements of the Yamaha? That's one of the funniest things I've read on a spec sheet. They use that on everything, I even tried it once on ours, and got about 3dB better measurements on everything.

SoundMan

I have seen that too... kind of a unique application of noise weighting, but in practice I have found the Yamaha MC mixer product to be practically quiet, and fully useable, Noise was not an issue at all.

Comment

Originally posted by agedhorse

I "deconstructed" one and found the construction to be very good... single PCB (not my preferred choice but acceptable in that price point) double sided glass-epoxy, excellent wave-soldering and preamps / eq very similar to other Yamaha products including older PM series consoles. I haven't seen any reviews, but it's certainly acceptable (for the price point) in my opinion.

Isn't the Yamaha significantly cheaper (street price) than either of the other two?

with the 3 models i dont think price is the issue, i've had to use that desk on several ocassions and found it to be a step sidways from mackie (sound quality wise) it certainly has a great feature set but IMO the mic pre and eq is rough, i thought the pots and faders felt flimsy and just overall didnt care for it, but this is just 1 opinion
                    Dan
                    dan@audioeast.com

Audio East ~ New England Sound & Lighting
                    Authorized Dealers: Allen & Heath, Audix, Audio Technica, Ashly, Crest, Crown, DBX, Drawmer, Soundcraft, JBL, Midas, EV, Klark Teknik, TC Electronic, Lexicon, CBI, Yorkville, Gator Cases, Whirlwind, ProCo, Shure, Chauvet

Like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...07437315944568

Comment

The Venice is good only for the pre's, the winner is... ALLEN & HEATH GL 2800, more features than the 2200 and the Venice. EQ and routing in the Venice sucks!

Comment

I tend to think that the Venice is over-rated. Haven't tried that new VeniceF that they're just coming out with.
                        "I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile"

Comment

Not used the Venice but.. short throw faders on a 'professional' mixing board?! Eurgh!

I owned a GL2200-24 for a while. Good sounding board but had it's fair share of reliability problems. Never anything serious or close to ending a gig, just little niggles. Fortunately spare parts are easy to come by and it's very easy to service.
                          Digico SD10
                          D&B V-series line array

Comment

Not used the Venice but.. short throw faders on a 'professional' mixing board?! Eurgh!
                            Geez - yous guys just can't lay off the Behringer bashing, can yah?

Comment

Take a look at the Soundcraft GB4/8 also. Pretty impressive feature set. I really like the sound of the Soundcraft. I'm from Denmark, so I don't know how these are priced compared to the AH and the Midas. They should be in the same price range though. They don't tend to color the sound as much during summing of channels. It sounds very clean.

Someone wrote that the pres in the Midas are the same as in the XL4. I honestly dont think that is true! Rumours has it that the Midas is actually a desk built by Dynacord (which with Midas is a part of the Telex enterprise).

I can't speak for the Yamaha (havent tried it). But both the AH, Soundcraft and Midas should be a noticable step up from your 32-4.
                              Best Regards
                              Karsten Pedersen

Comment

Working...
                              X