• Members

So, the last item I am looking at to complete my PA system is, a mixer.

What are some rules and guidelines to buying a mixer? Is buying second hand recommended, or can it be too risky?

What brand has the best sound, and which has the best bang for the buck?

Per my technology teachers recommendation, I was looking into Mackie mixers. For the price point, the Mackie DFX12 fit the bill. What worries me about it is that it does not have a 3 band EQ. Will that be a bad thing?

Just a little cheaper is the Peavey PV10. Has all the inputs our band needs, 3 bands of EQ, etc... but it looks kind of cheap. Will the reliability be bad on this, or is it fine?

Or, are both suggestions bad for the money and I should check out X model/brand? Or are all mixers at this stage total trash and I should save up more...?

Thanks!

EDIT: Forgot to mention the necessaries: My band is a 6 peice metal band. Drummer will be submixing the drums on his own board and then plugging that into our mixer. Vocals, 2 guitars, bass, keys, drums.

• Members
Originally posted by mparsons

So, the last item I am looking at to complete my PA system is, a mixer.

What are some rules and guidelines to buying a mixer? Is buying second hand recommended, or can it be too risky?

What brand has the best sound, and which has the best bang for the buck?

Per my technology teachers recommendation, I was looking into Mackie mixers. For the price point, the Mackie DFX12 fit the bill. What worries me about it is that it does not have a 3 band EQ. Will that be a bad thing?

Just a little cheaper is the Peavey PV10. Has all the inputs our band needs, 3 bands of EQ, etc... but it looks kind of cheap. Will the reliability be bad on this, or is it fine?

Or, are both suggestions bad for the money and I should check out X model/brand? Or are all mixers at this stage total trash and I should save up more...?

Thanks!

EDIT: Forgot to mention the necessaries: My band is a 6 peice metal band. Drummer will be submixing the drums on his own board and then plugging that into our mixer. Vocals, 2 guitars, bass, keys, drums.

I'm planning on putting one of these USA made Peaveys on Ebay soon in case you are interested. Great quality and lots of useful features. http://www.proaudioreview.com/may01/PEAVEY-RSM-4062-web.shtml

• Members

Sounds interesting! Unfortunately, I'm blowing ALL my money on speakers soon so I won't have any cash for this stuff. If I do get a power amp/mixer soon it will be on a MF payment plan no interest etc.

Thanks for the offer though!

• Members

I own both a Yamaha MG12 and Peavey 10 mixer. Both are excellent IMO and extremely quiet. I use the MG12 for my DJ system while the PV10 is used in my small studio because of the built-in effects. Both are a good value, are well built and come from reputable manufacturers. The Peavey has a 5 year warranty (if you register the product with Peavey). Both good choices. :thu: Al Poulin - Party-Time! DJ Services

Archived