Speaker cable

• Members

depends on what you are looking for. audiopile.net sells 13/4 with excellent coiling capabilities for NL4 speakon for 70 cents a foot. 12/4 or 14/4 sj typically has worse coiling characteristics and is around the same price. single nl4 connectors are about $4.25-$5. If you check out audiopile's website his premade NL4 cable sells for about a dollar more than consumer parts and are very well made, just ordered a couple more yesterday.

I haven't done much research lately into NL2 or 1/4" speaker cable, but I seen to remember that they are widely availible (guitar center) premade at lower prices than parts.

• Members

Valid question, don't ya think?

Not from someone who claims to be a veteran professional, no I don't. We've seen this time and time again, the horse is simply trying to start trouble.

For those new to the business, double jacketed cabling refers to the number of jackets, or insulation on a wire bundle. Legally many applications are required to be double jacketed.

Double jacketed wire has each conductor in it's own jacket(AKA the inner jacket), and the group of conductors bundled in what is known as the outer jacket.

• Members

Not from someone who claims to be a veteran professional, no I don't. We've seen this time and time again, the horse is simply trying to start trouble.

For those new to the business, double jacketed cabling refers to the number of jackets, or insulation on a wire bundle. Legally many applications are required to be double jacketed.

Double jacketed wire has each conductor in it's own jacket(AKA the inner jacket), and the group of conductors bundled in what is known as the outer jacket.

Nick,

First of all, I have never heard of the term double-jacketed used this way.

Secondly, the term I am familiar with, describing what you describe is a "jacketed pair". I suppose double-jacketed could be used as well, but there is also a type of cable that has two overall jackets to improve the mechanical properties of a cable. For example, large paircount telco multicable may have 2 or even 3 overall jackets to deal with things like flexibility, oil resistance, and smooth pulling in ducts.

Then there's "individually jacketed pair" multicable with an overall jacket... and there's 2 pair (and more) speaker cable with each pair jacketed and an overall jacket. There's also cables that have an overall jacket, then a braided or serve shield, then a second jacket. there's also high voltage duct cables with multiple jackets for insulation breakdown resistance.

Nick, I don't think your "new to the business" comment is really justified do you?

• Members

You have a very skewered view on things, don't you? BTW, who cares about legalities. Isn't that what we decided in the post about proper grounding?

• Members

My impression is that the term "double jacketed" is superfluous wording when talking about AC cable or speaker cable. Of-course the conductors are seperately insulated (jacketed) and the cable is bundled with a jacket, otherwise the cable would be dysfunctional, or would be a stranded single conductor cable, or insulated conductors (wires) not bundled as a cable... or we're talking about zip cord. If the recommendation is for a product 'cause it's not zip cord... well... that seems like a superfluously obvious point anyway, since I believe any cable starting with an identification rating of "S" automatically excludes zip cord.

Anyone wearing an earring and stating "knots per hour", probably didn't get that earring 'cause they crossed the equator on a sailboat.

• Members

My impression is that the term "double jacketed" is superfluous wording when talking about AC cable or speaker cable. Of-course the conductors are seperately insulated (jacketed) and the cable is bundled with a jacket, otherwise the cable would be dysfunctional, or would be a stranded single conductor cable, or insulated conductors (wires) not bundled as a cable... or we're talking about zip cord. If the recommendation is for a product 'cause it's not zip cord... well... that seems like a superfluously obvious point anyway, since I believe any cable starting with an identification rating of "S" automatically excludes zip cord.

Anyone wearing an earring and stating "knots per hour", probably didn't get that earring 'cause they crossed the equator on a sailboat.

Actually I think they make a cable for direct burial that is 3 wires in one solid insulation. I think it's got a D in the code or something...

• Members

Actually I think they make a cable for direct burial that is 3 wires in one solid insulation. I think it's got a D in the code or something...

I'm not familiar with any. There's a 2 conductor low voltage, like a zip cable but that's not something that has any real value in anything above roughly 24volts. That also has a center web as part of the manufacturing process.

The problem with a single extruded assembly is, of course, how to maintain guaranteed insulation values and conductor spacing as part of the manufacturing process. It's a simple matter to extrude over a single conductor as the circumfrence is fully accessable for centering during the extrusion process. Then multicable assemblies are made up by spinning the grouping of already insulated cables into a single multipair and then extruding an overall jacket. Insulation resistance is guaranteed by the already tested insulated single conductor cables. As the voltage rating increases, this becomes more and more critical to the UL approval process.

Also, another consideration is maintining insulation values when breaking the individual conductors out for termination. Without an idividual insulation covering each conductor, there's no way to terminate each wire safely.

• Members

Yet you still claim you're a pro, sad. You'd think you would have at least learned to talk the talk by now.

No that would be you fishies being big shots in your minds and asses in reality.

Zip cord is the most common, but there are many others.

Pretty funny Nick. And the opening sentance on your website is "Meet the friendly staff here at NP Studios!"

Perhaps it's time for a website update?

• Members

Double jacketed? What's that?

Originally Posted by where02190

Check at your local Home Depot or Lowes, they also carry 12 gauge double jacketed cable that can be used for speaker cabling for pretty cheap.

Obviously, this could just be a 'typo' causing all this fuss. Maybe this is what Nick was really trying to say:

Check at your local Home Depot or Lowes, they also carry 12 gauge yellow-jacket extention cord cable that can be used for speaker cabling for pretty cheap. :D

Originally Posted by where02190

Why must you ALWAYS be a ass?

Nick, it's good to see your vacation from the forum has changed your attitude. :rolleyes:

:wave:

• Members

Check at your local Home Depot or Lowes, they also carry 12 gauge double jacketed cable that can be used for speaker cabling for pretty cheap.

Home Depot or Lowes is the last place I would go for a good price on cable. And in 35 years, I've never heard of SJ referred to as double jacketed. There are some super heavey duty mining cables that are double jacketed, but you wouldn't be able to wind them up very easily.

• CMS Author

Home Depot or Lowes is the last place I would go for a good price on cable. And in 35 years, I've never heard of SJ referred to as double jacketed. There are some super heavey duty mining cables that are double jacketed, but you wouldn't be able to wind them up very easily.

I've bought Carol SJOOW 14/2, $30 for 150' at Home Depot, and have seen similar pricing at Lowes. That was a good price when I bought it last year, and I suspect it would be fantastic today, considering copper pricing.

• CMS Author

Nick, it's time to throttle back your condescension engine. As a "veteran professional", you should learn the terms and methods of cabling before you dig yourself into an inextricable hole:

Jacket - the outer protective covering of a cable. Also called "sheathing".

Insulation - the dielectric coating surrounding a conductor.

Double-jacketed - cable having two concentric layers of jacketing material or sheathing surrounding the multicore interior.

Note that the two terms "jacket" and "insulation" are not interchangeable. While both serve somewhat interchangeable purposes, for clarity the terms should be used correctly. As example, type BX cable has a steel jacket. You really wouldn't want to substitute this jacket as conductor insulation, would you?

What you refer to by "Legally many applications are required to be double jacketed"; I'll assume is stage power applications. Code requires some stage power cable to be "extra hard usage". An extra-hard-usage cable would be for example, type SO, as opposed to SJ which is designated "hard service". SO is not spec'd as double-jacketed. SJ, which would be used for speaker cable, is absolutely not going to be double-jacketed; it's neither required for this use by any known Code, nor practical. It's also not available, certainly not at a home center.

• Members

Thanks for verifying exactly what I stated. Let me explain for you. If each conductor is jacketed, then both are again jacketed, that is what is refered to as double jacketed cabling.

yes, I think that most people call the "conductor that is jacketed" insulation.

or are you refering to a system that has conductor, then insulation, then a jacket, THEN 2 conductors are placed together, and then a jacket is plased around them?

Ie, do you call the stuff next to the copper insulation or jacket?

Archived