Collapse
No announcement yet.

Band members doing sound

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I play bass, run sound and lights. We are all using in ears. I really can't imagine a drummer being able to run sound from stage. His perception and location, in my eyes, would make that much more difficult then someone away from cymbals & snare. Of, course, I'm not a drummer so I really dont know.

We are all emulated with electronic drums so if I remove my in ears I only hear FOH. We set levels during sound check and basically do not adjust anything during the performance at all. We will make some adjustments during breaks using information from trusted ears. We generally only adjust the main volume, not individual channels. We are familiar enough with our gear and our sound that we are just about as close to set and forget as possible.

My in ears have an ambient kit that has a lav mic that I have "installed" in my leather vest. It has a volume control so I can turn it on to listen to the house without having to remove an earbud. That makes my life much easier.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - Hunter S. Thompson

Band promo shots on railroad tracks were cool in 1981...

Comment

I mix from stage and play keys. I like having the board near my left hand for quick changes. I use a pair of isolating headphones to hear the mix going out. Part of it's guesswork and part of it is experience. There are lots of times when my playing prevents immediate changes on the board, but most of the time, not much needs to be changed after setup. The audience only hears my keys from the PA.

Comment

If you have to turn up the guitar, bass, keys and vocal, wouldn't it make more sense to back the drummer off instead? When it's out of balance, it's just as likely that one musician is too loud as too quiet.

Comment

If you have to turn up the guitar, bass, keys and vocal, wouldn't it make more sense to back the drummer off instead? When it's out of balance, it's just as likely that one musician is too loud as too quiet.

One of the most frustrating things to me regarding monitor mixes, is the guy that asks you to turn up the rhythm, the bass, his vocals, everyone elses vocals etc. By the time he is "happy" everything is up but 1 or 2 things. I always point out it would be easier to turn down 1 or 2 things, than bring everything else up. For some reason, I have met very few people who think that way.
          Dillybar 13 july 2008.
          "I do not expect you to lift one of your lazy fingers to find the proof that I am right."

Comment

I play keys and run sound. I set it up during soundcheck and the only thing I tweak during the show is effects. It helps immensely having a guitar player who knows when to back down his volume. My volume changes on keyboards are automatic so I don't play with faders. Being a keyboard player who sometimes plays rhythm guitar, my hands are not always occupied so I can give the board from brief attention if needed.
            this sig no verb

Comment

I run the sound for our duo, as well as do vocals and guitar. We get a pretty good mix during the sound check, and then pretty much leave it alone. I never change the mix during a song. Between songs, I will make minor adjustments if necessary i.e. during a gig my vocals were on the verge of feeding back during a song. Before I started the next song, I just slid my vocal slider down a hair to get rid of it.

For your situation, I would have a hard, fast rule that no adjustments be made during a song. Any adjustments he feels he needs to make must be done between songs.
              Eastwood Warren Ellis 2P Tenor Guitar
              Digitech RP255 Modelling Pedal
              Blueridge BR-60T Tenor Guitar
              Hamer SB4 Bass Guitar
              Ampeg B100R Bass Amp

Comment

Bassist and soundman mixing from the stage we always show up early and I have everybody get involed on sound check. Only problem I have if one of the guys had to much to drink they tend to go deaf and start cranking up the volume. Can't remmeber which comdeian said. Ever notice how drunks go deaf the drunker they get and have to shout at you when your right in front of them. I think it was Bill Cosby, but that' no joke is a fact.

Comment

I play guitar and often mix from the stage. One of my bands is a nine to eleven piece. With a band that big I can't always set it and forget it, but I try to keep adjustments to a minimum - and I work with seasoned pros, so levels... aren't an issue.

I think a drummer can RUN sound from stage, but I don't believe a drummer can MIX from stage. Big difference between turning the FX down in between songs versus bumping up the lead vocal, or adding more FX to the guitar solo (while trying to maintain the groove).

And using in ears to do this? Interesting concept...

Let the frontline do the mid song tweaks - and only when absolutely necessary. My three cents.

Comment

I run sound, lights, play guitar, run the laptop (midi files), and sing....and have been doing so for over 10 years. I used to use a hot spot for a FOH reference monitor, but it ended up distracting me from actually hearing what was coming out up front. So, I mix totally off the mains and the ambiency of the room. Now, keep in mind, there's just two of us....two vocal mics, a sequencer, and "live" guitar...so it's not like I'm mixing for 4 front singers, drums, etc. I place the speaker cabinet where I can hear the horn, but not tilted so close in, that it feeds back. The reason I do this is to not over compensate for the high end. Also, it helps keep you from "drowning" in reverb...the girl singer cant live without reverb. I can hear how wet the sound is from how the cabinet is tilted in. Since I run midi files, it's always the same mix. The one major thing I have to be real conscius about is level differences between midi files. My software will allow me to globally set all midi files to one level, but I haven't tried that as of yet. Hope this helps.

If you want to check out my set up, I think there might be some pics on my website...www.doubledareband.com.

Charlie

Comment

I haven't read every reply - but I will say that the drummer is the worst guy in the band to run sound. He has no clue what FOH is hearing (or how they're reacting). Plus his hearing is probably really deficient in the high end.
                      Chuck
                      www.reverbnation.com/chuckbeatty

Comment

I play bass/keys and run sound for our group.

You will NEVER hear any lapse in playing when I have to make an adjustment (open strings come in handy: pick your moments)

A drummer running sound makes no sense at all.

Have someone else do it.
                        Kickin' it in the sticks...

Comment

For your situation, I would have a hard, fast rule that no adjustments be made during a song. Any adjustments he feels he needs to make must be done between songs.

If you have to remind a drummer that one-handed playing makes the song suffer, you've already lost the battle.

I mean: I really can't see being in a band with someone that dense.

Good luck.
                          Kickin' it in the sticks...

Comment

I do it sometimes. Dont really like it but sometimes its inevitable. Obviously his priority should be the drumming.

Comment

Usually I'm completely wireless (complete with wireless mic, so I can play bass and sing and run all over the place), so I can run out front and get a good idea of what the mix really is and what needs to be tweaked, and after the song I'll either tell Ned (guitarist/sound dude) to tweak it or I'll just go do it myself.

I think we generally sound better when I'm on the headset mic, mostly because I can run out front and tweak the mix.

We've always run sound from the stage, though, except at venues that provided sound.

I don't think it makes sense to tweak things during a song if it's going to affect your performance (which is inevitable). Unless you're not playing at that moment and have time to go tweak (as is the case in larger bands sometimes), wait until the song is over...
                              Brian V.
                              "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Comment

Usually I'm completely wireless (complete with wireless mic, so I can play bass and sing and run all over the place), so I can run out front and get a good idea of what the mix really is

I hate it when a musician goes out front and obviously is listening to the group, and ignoring the crowd. If they go out and interact with the crowd, while listening and not look like they're listening, that's a big plus. We've gotten out singer to go out and dance with the crowd, but if he's paying any attention to the quality of sound, we don't know.

Comment

Working...
                                X