Band members doing sound

• Members

For your situation, I would have a hard, fast rule that no adjustments be made during a song. Any adjustments he feels he needs to make must be done between songs.

If you have to remind a drummer that one-handed playing makes the song suffer, you've already lost the battle.

I mean: I really can't see being in a band with someone that dense.

Good luck.

• Members

Usually I'm completely wireless (complete with wireless mic, so I can play bass and sing and run all over the place), so I can run out front and get a good idea of what the mix really is and what needs to be tweaked, and after the song I'll either tell Ned (guitarist/sound dude) to tweak it or I'll just go do it myself.

I think we generally sound better when I'm on the headset mic, mostly because I can run out front and tweak the mix.

We've always run sound from the stage, though, except at venues that provided sound.

I don't think it makes sense to tweak things during a song if it's going to affect your performance (which is inevitable). Unless you're not playing at that moment and have time to go tweak (as is the case in larger bands sometimes), wait until the song is over...

Brian V.

• Members

Usually I'm completely wireless (complete with wireless mic, so I can play bass and sing and run all over the place), so I can run out front and get a good idea of what the mix really is

I hate it when a musician goes out front and obviously is listening to the group, and ignoring the crowd. If they go out and interact with the crowd, while listening and not look like they're listening, that's a big plus. We've gotten out singer to go out and dance with the crowd, but if he's paying any attention to the quality of sound, we don't know.

• Members

I hate it when a musician goes out front and obviously is listening to the group, and ignoring the crowd. If they go out and interact with the crowd, while listening and not look like they're listening, that's a big plus. We've gotten out singer to go out and dance with the crowd, but if he's paying any attention to the quality of sound, we don't know.

I agree. When we go out front we just dance with the people on the dance floor or walk around interacting with the crowd. We do it all the time sometimes to listen but sometimes we just keep our earbuds in and have some fun.

• Members

Well, let me be clear: I'm not that guy. :facepalm:

I'm talking about standing there listening during soundcheck. I don't usually wear in-ears (I can't seem to get used to the isolation, even though it's nice to really HEAR yourself for a change...)

Once or twice a night (often more) I'll do a lap around the venue, greeting/interacting with patrons as I walk and sing, and listen to the PA to make sure the balance is right.

People just think I'm the "crazy run around the room guy" and are none the wiser to what is often my real mission out front: checking levels. :)

Brian V.

• Members

The funny thing is that even though I'm the one how runs the sound from stage. Our drummer is the one with the best ears for setting it up at the begining.

I just tweak a few things,mon levels,overall volume for the room. He seems to have the best ear for the over all mix.

Guess mine are just to tuned in to my guitar.

• Members

I've noticed that when talking about the FOH mix, it's usually good to know what instrument the person talking plays and how they normally hear the band while playing. It's not uncommon for the guitarist to say the guitar needs to come up. Same with the bassist ......

I did find some cheap headphones, wasn't even looking for headphones, that are labeled Extreme Isolation" they're supposed to be a 25 db drop in ambient sound. With the exception of bass getting past their shell, I believe it. They've helped my hear exactly what is coming out of the PA. Now if I could only get the guitar and bass to back off and run through the PA instead of guessing the balance.

• Members

I too run sound from the stage, I put the mixer on top of my bass rig. Done about 30 shows this way and it's working fine. Tough at first. My pa is pretty small, 8 channel Mackie, 3 vocals, guitar miked, bass direct, kick miked, and occasionally drum overhead. Running into 2 Mackie SRM 450s (US made, bought at pawn shop for $100 for the pair. Drummer has an Eon 10 monitor and we have a single Phonic powered 15 monitor up front. I recently bought a cheap Behringer dual 31 band eq for the monitors. That really helped getting more from the monitors without feeding. I also recently got a Line 6 X2 wireless so I can go out front and listen. Works well all around and for the small place it's fine. I usually put the low cut on the bass ( bass rig is Carvin R1000 into Ampeg LHF410) Kick sound fine too. Subs are next though.

After basic set up, I dont have to do much. Usually a little fine tune on each level and usaully back down the vocalist's gain after he gets warmed up and is singing harder. Anywayyy, seems like it would be really hard for a drummer to mix from stage.

Archived