My first Sound system

• Members

I'm putting together my first sound system. We don't need anything big, since we play out only once a month, mostly small venues, classic rock. After studying the forum I decided to go with powered speakers. So yesterday I talk to a friend in the sound business and he tells me to definitely go with a powered mixer and passive speakers. Now I'm confused.

Part 2. If I go with powered speakers would I be better off with a pair of new Peavey PR12ds or used Eon 15g2s, both of which I can get at exactly the same price?

• Members

Well, to determine what kind of system you should get it really depends on your budget. The fact that you are looking at the PRDs and EON, I am assuming you are not looking for anything too expensive. How much are you able to get those speakers for? This forum has said good and bad things about both those speakers. I think it's something that you should do a side by side comparison on and decide which one you like better. Now if you were open to other options I am certain many of the other forumites can chime in with great alternatives.

As far as which route to take (1. powered speakers and passive mixer OR 2. Passive speakers and powered mixer), I would take option one 9 out of 10 times. There are times when it is just more convenient to have a powered mixer because you can just plug and play but in the long run if you ever need to upgrade you are stuck.

• CMS Author

The Eons are definitely the better of the two.

Your friend should explain *why* he beleives as he does.

Powered speakers are typically bi-amped. So when comparing costs, you need to add a crossover to the rig, not just a speaker and amp.

Powered speakers have correctly matched power. Try finding an amp to drive your HF horns without resorting to huge amounts of limiting, which is nothing more than wasting the unused power you paid for.

Many powered speakers have DSP to control clipping, apply limiting, add EQ compensation, etc. to optimize the speaker for best performance. Again, first try to find appropriate DSP for a given speaker (in the MI range of products, this is a moot point; only pro level gear typically has this option) and then add it to the total cost of the rig your comparing.

Powered mixers virtually guarantee you'll have problems when you decide to add monitors and subs to the rig. While there are a few powered mixers with 3 or 4 amps, you can forget about biamping, and the cart is pushing the horse...you are forced to find speakers that match the amp's power, not the correct way of matching amps to a good set of speakers.

Of all the options, the powered mixer/passive speaker route is the worst.

• Members

Personally I would go with the powered speakers and a standard mixer. I see more benefits going that route (at least for me). Your also guarenteed a better amp to speaker match as far as power rating since it comes packaged together.

I've never heard the Peavey model you spec'd, the the Eon's aren't bad from what I've heard of them.

• Members

The speakers go for $800/pair, in both cases.

My friend says that you have more control over feedback with the powered mixer, especially with monitors and he, like others on this forum, worried that if one part of the powered speaker goes, the whole thing is toast.

• CMS Author

My friend says that you have more control over feedback with the powered mixer, especially with monitors and he, like others on this forum, worried that if one part of the powered speaker goes, the whole thing is toast.

More control over feedback? How so? If anything, powered mixers often lack the expanded EQ of passive mixers. On many you get a LF and HF, and maybe a mid. Swept mids are comparatively rare on powered mixers. Multiple swept mids are almost unheard of. The built-in 7 or 9-band master EQ's are horrible and I'd never use them.

If one part of the powered mixer goes, the whole thing is toast. His argument holds no water.

• Members

That's ridiculous! Same could be said about powered mixers. I would rather take my chances on a powered speaker failing than getting stuck with an unfulfilling powered mixer.

• Members

Here's one way to look at it...

If you use powered speakers and the speaker dies you are done.

If you use powered speakers and the amp dies you are done

If you use passive speakers and they die you are done.

If you use an external amp and it dies you are done.

If the passive speaker dies it might also mean an amp problem. If you happen to have a spare speaker, it can also be damaged by the faulty amp that possibly killed the first speaker.

If the external amp dies it will probably either take the passive speaker with it or possibly the speaker caused the amp to die.

If you lose the active speaker you would be in the same boat unless you have a spare. The spare can be put into service without worrying about the actual cause of the failure in the first place.

Active speakers are bi-amped. The engineers have already matched the power to the speakers (less chance for user error) and they will be lighter then a passive and amp(s).

Feedback is probably easier to control in a bi-amped EON because you have separate attenuators for the highs and lows.

9 time out of 10 the active speakers will be a better fit and easier to load, setup and use then passive speakers and powered board.

• Members

I'd say powered mixers are a good option only if you're trying to do it on the real cheap: The Eons will be much better than pretty much anything you can do with a powered mixer.

Powered mixers i think are a bit of a relic, to a time when active speakers were much rarer and prohibitively priced compared to the equivalent amp/speaker combo. These days, at the lower levels in particular, the active speaker option will typically cost only a small amount more, and almost always give you a better outcome at the lower level.

Not really familiar with the Peaveys although i have seen them. The Eons are a handy box and not much bigger than the 12 inch peavey. As always try them both if you can.

• Members

I do have a pair of the PR12D's. Obviously the EON's are a more expensive speaker so should sound "better". The PR's are lighter at 28 lbs (you can easily carry two) and have a warranty - they also should use less power as they have more efficient amps in them. The used EON's will have a better resale value as they are already depreciated and some people will think your band is better just because you are using JBL's :facepalm:. I like my PR12D's just fine especially as I got them for about half price - one new and the other barely used. FWIW I wouldn't "even trade" for a used pair of EON 15 G2's .

• Members

To each his own. I've owned the EONs and I've heard the Peaveys. To my ears, the EONs offer better low end, more volume and overall better sound. They are heavier and the EON horn can be harsh if you don't tame it.

It is true what RoadRanger says about people's perception of JBLs. It is also sad since some JBL offerings are pathetically bad.

My guess is either the Peaveys or the EONs will serve the OP well. I believe the EONs might have a slight advantage but both are usable.

• CMS Author

I do have a pair of the PR12D's. Obviously the EON's are a more expensive speaker so should sound "better". The PR's are lighter at 28 lbs (you can easily carry two) and have a warranty - they also should use less power as they have more efficient amps in them. The used EON's will have a better resale value as they are already depreciated and some people will think your band is better just because you are using JBL's
:facepalm:
. I like my PR12D's just fine especially as I got them for about half price - one new and the other barely used. FWIW I wouldn't "even trade" for a used pair of EON 15 G2's .

Holy Geez. Feeling a little inadequate? The Eons are a better speaker. If you really want a fair comparison, put the Eon's against a pair of Impulse. That's a fair fight and an even matchup...I'd be hard-pressed to decide which I'd get.

Oh wait; I'd get the JBL's. I want some people to think by band is "better".

;)

Archived