Peavey IPRs - Limiting & HPF?

• Members

Well a while back I told Andy (Agedhorse) that weight didn't matter because I have 5 helpers in my band. Well I rented out the PA last weekend and it was only me and one helper and guess what. Weight is now an issue. Boy am I am glad that I went with the JBL MRX528s instead of the heavier options lol.

So now I am looking to unload some weight via my amps. I love the fact that five IPRs weigh less than one of my traditional amps. And since my Yorkville EX2000s are rated 1000 watts @ 4ohms and my MRXs are rated at 1000 watts @ 4ohms the IPR 3000 rated at 1000 watts a side @ 4ohms is a perfect match. My question is this. My Yorkville AP4040s have a limter and 40 HZ HPF buttons. Is the Peavey High pass / subwoofer switch and the DDT circuit act the same? How do you prevent pushing below 35 HZ to your subs without a driverrack PA? I don't want to buy the DSP versions.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks for the link but I have already looked at the manual but it doesn't answer my questions. Limiting isn't as big an issue as as the amps are a good match with the speaker rating and using the high pass on the tops cuts everything below 100 HZ. I am guessing the DDT circuit is the same as the Limiter but because I have no experience with the Peavey stuff I need to make sure. Using the Sub sends everything 100 HZ and down to the subs but it doesn't say in the manual how to cut everything below 35 HZ.

Hell will I even need a x-over anymore with the built in x-overs in the amps?

• Members
You could check the manual:

The manual sux. DDT = clip limiter. Unfortunately the non-DSP amp has no 30, 40 or 50hz HPF like all sane amps so you really should either get the DSP version or run something upstream with a proper HPF. The DBX 223 crossover has a 40hz HPF for instance.

• Members

The non DSP versions of the IPR have a switch next to the input jacks that select Hi Pass - Full Range - Subwoofer. As far as the actual frequencies and slopes, I haven't looked at that yet. The DDT is un-defeatable on these amps (probably a good thing).

• Members

but it doesn't say in the manual how to cut everything below 35 HZ.

Hell will I even need a x-over anymore with the built in x-overs in the amps?

In sub mode, I don't think it has a HPF...

• Members

The manual sux. DDT = clip limiter. Unfortunately the non-DSP amp has no 30, 40 or 50hz HPF like all sane amps so you really should either get the DSP version or run something upstream with a proper HPF. The DBX 223 crossover has a 40hz HPF for instance.

Damn I didn't even think of that. I have a DBX 223XL lol! Good call. I am assuming the 40HZ cut works on the sub when summing the low end as well?

• Members
I am assuming the 40HZ cut works on the sub when summing the low end as well?

Yup! I think a lot of DBX gear is "overfeatured" and way too easy to screw yourself with but I really like the 223 - it has exactly what you need but nothing else :thu: :thu:

• Members

So now I am looking to unload some weight via my amps. I love the fact that five IPRs weigh less than one of my traditional amps. And since my Yorkville EX2000s are rated 1000 watts @ 4ohms and my MRXs are rated at 1000 watts @ 4ohms the IPR 3000 rated at 1000 watts a side @ 4ohms is a perfect match.

I realize that Yorkville recommends powering their speakers "one to one". Just making sure you're aware that Yorkville also uses program power, so your speakers are actually 500 watts continuous.

That means you are powering them at twice the RMS. Some folks recommend less than that (1 x rms, to 1.5 x rms max), but as I said Yorkville doesn't.

• Members

I realize that Yorkville recommends powering their speakers "one to one". Just making sure you're aware that Yorkville also uses program power, so your speakers are actually 500 watts continuous.

That means you are powering them at twice the RMS. Some folks recommend less than that (1 x rms, to 1.5 x rms max), but as I said Yorkville doesn't.

Well hell than I am really overpowing them with a 1200 watt a side AP4040. I guess I need to rethink my amp selection. I would imagine the IPR 1600 rated at 530 watts @ 4ohms would be the better option for the tops then.

• Members

Well hell than I am really overpowing them with a 1200 watt a side AP4040. I guess I need to rethink my amp selection. I would imagine the IPR 1600 rated at 530 watts @ 4ohms would be the better option for the tops then.

I guess it would depend on whether you go with what Yorkville suggests. If you haven't yet contacted Yorkville about your AP4040 peak lights, then you could also ask them about their powering theory and recommendations.

• Members

If it really is 500 watts RMS than I would prefer to not listen to Yorkville regarding power options unless they are lowering the handling on paper to avoid issues. I need to buy 2 IPR 1600s for monitor duty. I can always try it on the tops first to see if it works ok.

• Members

I'm seeing a lot of those amps being sold second hand. Either there are a lot being stolen or there's something generally wrong with them. Anyone know?

Not saying you are wrong but I am not seeing that at all. There is not one used IPR 1600 on Ebay right now. Some early models needed a cap upgrade because plugging 2 into one circuit caused them to default to mute mode but that is an easy fix that Peavey is doing on their dime at owner request and I believe only a handful displayed this issue.

• Members

I just spoke with Peavey Customer Service and asked when the IPR 3000 will be released and his response was I don't know. He said the last he heard was mid to late July but could be later due to issues of them being made in China. Does the fact that they are being made in China concern anyone?

I need 4 amps and since I really need the IPR 1600 on my tops I could get 3 now and wait on the one IPR 3000 I need. That would drop 105 lbs from my rack.

• Members

Does the fact that they are being made in China concern anyone?

Sure, would love to see Made in the U.S.A. like the front of my Peavey GPS amps. If memory serves, the new QSC amps are made in China as well... It truly is unfortunate.

• Members

but could be later due to issues of them being made in China.

The issue is not where they are made - it is the lead time on some of the parts. The electronic component companies scaled WAY back when the economy tanked and are still trying to get their capacity back up.

I've always liked to call the "just in time" philosophy of component sourcing "just to late" - never seemed to endear me with the MBAs though :lol:.

• Members

Reminds me of getting my $500 Pioneer car stereo fixed(accidentally touched the amp turn on wire to some metal...). It was under warranty but the part had to come from a place that was right in the middle of the Los Angeles riots. Normally the fix time was dependent on the time it takes to get the part from point "A" to point "B", but I had to wait till the war zone was clear to do business again.

Archived