• Members

Hey guys,

I do vocals for a grunge/metal band and we recently made a bit of money from a gig. Me and the other vocalist are now looking to buy a couple of decent mics. We first looked at the Shure Sm58 but were put off by some of the reviews on here. We then found the Audix OM series which looked good because they were more responsive, but we then found a problem with them too. Because we both play guitar, having good mic technique isn't always easy, and apparently you have to be pretty close to the OM to get much sound out of it. So, can you recommend us any decent mics which are responsive and will allow a bit of crappy technique? Nothing too expensive, we can only really consider anything under

• Members

What Audix OM series mic(s) did you try? I used to sing through an OM7 and really preferred it to my bandmates' SM58's. The Audix was a lower gain mic but it had much better feedback rejection and sounded oh so much clearer. The SM58's were almost muffled in comparison. I've also sang through the EV ND767A, which is a nice microphone.

Many recommend the Shure Beta 58, although I've never used one myself.

• Members

Since you play "grunge metal", I am going to assume that you have very loud stage volume because I've never seen different. That being said, I suggest you purchase a pair of OM 7's and work on your mic technique. If your guitar playing needed work, you would practice on it. The mic is another instrument (sort of) if your technique is off, it needs work. If this approach dosn't work for you, look at the EV 967. They stopped making them last year but they are easy to find. TW

• Members

For your genre on small stages you probably can't beat the OM7. That said, you do indeed need to get close to the mic, as in pretty much eating it. Also, it does expose any weak link in your PA since the output is 8-10 dB lower than "other mics" so you have to rely on your preamps more. The OM6 also has a tight pattern, but with higher output so that would be a good option. Given your genre though, you need to have that "mic technique" anyway in order to keep the gain down in any mic so you don't get feedback an unwanted bleed. For your genre, especially on a small stage, standing 8-12" away from any mic isn't going to work well for you.

Due to the Beta 58A's proximity effect (bassy when you sing close to it). It's best to always sing up on it or backed away, otherwise the tone of your voice changes quite a bit (unless you're doing a technique on purpose). It's the mic I use. Great noise rejection. I'm thinking of switching to an OM7 or OM6 though to get rid of some of the proximity.

• Members

even those of us that dont prefer 58's will admit to them being OK, a baseline of what a live sound mic is measured against.

i own no 58's, but do use them often.

for a noob i would have to hand them a 58 and have them get very acquainted with it before recommending something different. plus they will last 30 years and hold up.

• Members

even those of us that dont prefer 58's will admit to them being OK, a baseline of what a live sound mic is measured against.

i own no 58's, but do use them often.

for a noob i would have to hand them a 58 and have them get very acquainted with it before recommending something different. plus they will last 30 years and hold up.

I have an old shure 585 that I got as a freshman in high school. I am pushiing 60 years old. It still works. Its been beat to hell. Looks like someone drove nails with it.

• Members

I would think for grunge/metal at the level you seem to be at, a Shure SM58 would be just fine. If you are supplying your own mics, and possibly PA, then starting with the basics isn't a bad idea.

Try and improve your mic technique if you can. Otherwise IMO for the kind of music you're describing, you could miss a few words here and there and it wouldn't matter much.

As for singing far away from the mic, you would need to join a Celine Dion tribute band to pull that off:)

• Members

Thanks guys

Sorry I took so long replying. Really helpful info. I haven't actually tried any mics out yet but I think I'll go for a couple OM-7s. I've heard they're used quite commonly by metal singers and I can get two for about

• Members

Hi,

A buddy of mine picked up the Beyerdynamic M 88 TG. He has a deeper voice and found that this mic suited his style of singing (leonard cohen mumbles). He's tried the SM 58, Beta 57, EV 767a, Super 55 and just didn't find the "one". From watching him I think you really need to base your buying decisions on personal experience rather than how well it reviews.

I noticed that the Value thread stickied at the top of this board has the XM8500 listed as a decent mic for under $40. I haven't heard this mic but it looks like a 58 to me.

s.

• Members

I noticed that the Value thread stickied at the top of this board has the XM8500 listed as a decent mic for under $40. I haven't heard this mic but it looks like a 58 to me.

s.

Looks are the ONLY thing it has in common with the 58.

• Members

Same capsule????

No, it's their own capsule, but they sound pretty damn similar to the modded 58's - at least they did when AMI-TAB/Funkenwerk was making the transformers for both the M80 and the 58 mods. Last I heard, the M-80 were now being sourced out to someone else (but I could be wrong). I haven't checked out any of the newer ones, so the sound may have changed.

You ought to check one out. They're really nice.

-Dan.

• Members

How does it sound? I would imagine that the cheap price is what makes it so appealing.

s.

Having A/B'd the Dead-Ringer XM8500 with SM58 as I bought some out of curiosity:

The XM8500 sounds fine for spoken word applications. Once you compare it to an SM58 you realise that the shock mount isn't as good and it doesn't sound anywhere near as natural as the Shure.

The proximity effect is quite noticeable with close-up vocals and can get quite hot at around 150Hz, though this is easily rectified by the usual methods.

Having said that a small church which uses our venue have been using the two XM8500's I bought for the last year and are happy, at their level they wouldn't notice the difference.

As to whether it will sound good enough for you, it depends on how critical the application is. At the price, most people are happy.

Best of luck,

Al

• Members

If you have the need for 3 mics, you can't go wrong with the Sennheiser 835 3 pack. They can be had for less than $190. They are well built and similar to the SM58. The 3 backup singers in my band all use them.

• Members

If you have the need for 3 mics, you can't go wrong with the Sennheiser 835 3 pack. They can be had for less than $190. They are well built and similar to the SM58. The 3 backup singers in my band all use them.

...but rip your ears off brighter. Maybe works ok with a pa that has weak HF response but use them with a real pro PA and there's a ton of 4-8kHz that needs to be tamed.

• Members

...but rip your ears off brighter. Maybe works ok with a pa that has weak HF response but use them with a real pro PA and there's a ton of 4-8kHz that needs to be tamed.

Yes, they are brighter, but the SM58 is a pretty dull mic so it depends where you're coming from. Our PA has a hell of HF response. It also has EQ on the channel strips.

Archived