QSC KSERIES VS. NEW JBL PRX600 LINE?

• Members

I'm between the two right now. I'm a mobile DJ that plays 95% indoor gigs and I'm upgrading from EV Sxa250s which I love to death. I want to start with 12's and one sub to get a more scalable system for bigger gigs. Each have their own merits and I am completely lost. The idea is to go lightweight so please do not offer substitutes like the HPRs, I know they're better.

This is what I gathered from extensive research:

k12

- more expensive at 799

- heavier at 41 lbs

- plastic cabinet

- Ksub is less than stellar

- gets great reviews and qsc has legendary customer service and warranty

prx612m

- cheaper at 699

- lighter at 35 lbs

- wood cabinet

- sub offering is significantly better

- Not one review available for the new prx line and don't know much about jbl's customer service and warranty

I'd appreciate any help with my decision from all of you that have significantly more knowledge/experience than me.

Please weigh in on reliability/service of QSC vs. JBL. Thank you all very much for your help.

• Members

I hate to encourage brand snobbery but - especially for a DJ - the JBL's will get you more gigs and also have a higher resale value. I'd go with them for this application even if the QSC's sounded slightly better but that's not an issue ;). JBL is noted for great service too :thu: .

• Members

Better to compare the QSC KW Series to the PRX600 series - a more apples to apples comparison - and both wooden cabs. K Series is a better match up to the EON's.

On paper the K12 and KW122 look almost identical but I would suspect this would be a classic case of "listen and compare" - the wooden cabinet of the KW series may sound different than the K series poly cabs. KW also offers the KW181 sub which has comparable output to the better of the two PRX618S-XLF.

• Members

I'm between the two right now. I'm a mobile DJ that plays 95% indoor gigs and I'm upgrading from EV Sxa250s which I love to death.

What's wrong with your EV speakers? Too heavy, don't throw....?

Your "upgrade" path should probably be determined by the deficiencies (real or imagined) in your present rig.

Lots of DJ types are still using SX300's (or the powered version) with those lightweight EV subs (SB something or the other?).

• Members

Mackie has a new powered 12"/1" box coming out too made of wood that looks like it may be a contender in this class of speaker.

HD1221 I cant figure out how to paste a link on this Mac but you can find it on mackie.com

I know mackie doesnt get alot of love around here, but it looks like the new HD line is getting some good reviews so I guess that this box should be no different.

Regardless, just a thought.

• Members

Mackie has a new powered 12"/1" box coming out too made of wood that looks like it may be a contender in this class of speaker.

HD1221 I cant figure out how to paste a link on this Mac but you can find it on mackie.com

I know mackie doesnt get alot of love around here, but it looks like the new HD line is getting some good reviews so I guess that this box should be no different.

Regardless, just a thought.

Didn

• Members

IME conical horns are great for monitors and other short throw applications
:thu:
but not-so-much for mains
:(

While I too like conical horns for many monitor uses, my initial response is to disagree with the notion that the 75 degree conical "throws" further than a 90x45 rectangular horn for mains use.

As a right brain dominate person I can't do the actual math, but I'm good with spatial relations and it seems to me that the 90x45 is in effect losing 15 degrees of energy dispersion in the horizontal plain to the 75 degree conical but it is gaining 30 degrees back in the vertical plain for a 15 degree theoretical advantage in overall energy dispersal area.

In other words,in a typical bar, the 90x45 may in effect waste more energy on the walls, but the 75 conical wastes even more than that on the floor and ceiling...... For a multiple use speaker, the conical might make better sense, but I often wonder why more makers don't use asymmetrical horns like in the EV QRX line for mains.

Winston

• Members

While I too like conical horns for many monitor uses, my initial response is to disagree with the notion that the 75 degree conical "throws" further than a 90x45 rectangular horn for mains use.

As a right brain dominate person I can't do the actual math, but I'm good with spatial relations and it seems to me that the 90x45 is in effect losing 15 degrees of energy dispersion in the horizontal plain to the 75 degree conical but it is gaining 30 degrees back in the vertical plain for a 15 degree theoretical advantage in overall energy dispersal area.

In other words,in a typical bar, the 90x45 may in effect waste more energy on the walls, but the 75 conical wastes even more than that on the floor and ceiling...... For a multiple use speaker, the conical might make better sense, but I often wonder why more makers don't use asymmetrical horns like in the EV QRX line for mains.

Winston

Reasonable.

• Members

Not sure who you are disagreeing with - I didn'r see anyone on this thread saying the 75 conical throws further than a good ol' 90x45 ? As far as a 90 being too wide for a bar, I generally point them in a bit to both cover the dance floor better and to keep it off the wall. I even find myself increasingly only running one unless I really need the SPL and/or coverage of two. Goodbye combing and multiple reflections :).

• Members

Not sure who you are disagreeing with - I didn'r see anyone on this thread saying the 75 conical throws further than a good ol' 90x45 ? As far as a 90 being too wide for a bar, I generally point them in a bit to both cover the dance floor better and to keep it off the wall. I even find myself increasingly only running one unless I really need the SPL and/or coverage of two. Goodbye combing and multiple reflections
:)

Now that I reread your statement,

IME conical horns are great for monitors and other short throw applications but not-so-much for mains .

I see that while you imply conical horns are best for monitor use, I am guilty of reading into it more than is there. Probably my middle aged mind combining other posts into multiple voices in my head.:facepalm:

Winston

Archived