Power question for the engineers

• Members

I used to always power my LS608's with 7-800w without any issues at all.

The driver that they use in that box is pretty rugged and can take alot of abuse.

My biggest complaint with the 608 is that you can't stop them from dancing all over the floor...the box is light and the internal bracing sucks, there is a LOT of sidewall flexing (you can bounce drinks off the top of them with ease).

They need about a +3 db boost @ 60hz to get some thump out of them and they drop like a stone at 50hz, but they make a decent rock sub....not so much for DJ use.

• Members

I used to always power my LS608's with 7-800w without any issues at all.

The driver that they use in that box is pretty rugged and can take alot of abuse.

My biggest complaint with the 608 is that you can't stop them from dancing all over the floor...the box is light and the internal bracing sucks, there is a LOT of sidewall flexing (you can bounce drinks off the top of them with ease).

They need about a +3 db boost @ 60hz to get some thump out of them and they drop like a stone at 50hz, but they make a decent rock sub....not so much for DJ use.

Many Yorkville products seem to have been under rated and maybe that's one of the reasons for the new ratings - still it's nice to know the history. Even if the first rating was right, 700 - 800 watts is just 2 x the old conservative rating. Although... I don't know if I'd want to power at 2 x the new and improved rating (which is something Yorkville used to recommend for their speakers)

It's a tradeoff with the lightweight and stability, but I don't push mine hard enough that they wind up out the door :)

I liked the "drop like a stone" comment - luckily for me I'm an old fart and don't like stuff down there anyway.

• Members

Bridging your RMX1450 will give you ~700W to each of your subs (if you wire them up in parallel to the amplifier). Your subs are good for a continuous power of 800-900W with a peak of 2800 peak.

I think you are easily safe doing this. In fact, you could likely push a bit more in the future; however, I doubt an additional few hundred watts would give you THAT much more noticeable output.

I'm not disputing AH's original recommendations or anybody else's. In fact I have no recommendations of my own, other than I would be tempted to find out why the ratings almost doubled. Basically, I'm just reminding folks that with Yorkville "four legs good, two legs bad" magically turned into "two legs good, four legs bad" overnight.

The LS608's power ratings went from 400 watts continuous to 700 watts continuous with the stroke of a key.

Guess I'm just being the self appointed archivist. Revisionist history bothers me. But yes I know.... that's the only kind of history there is. Anyway the OP will probably get the JBL's and this will all be moot :)

May the sub be with you....

• Members

I guess you could always try running one off each side, 500 watts per, and see how it sounds.

The 1450 is only rated at 280/side into 8 ohms.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm trying to help out a friend who made the mistake of buying a pair of Seismic Audio powered subs. They broke down on him on the first gig; now he's looking for something else. Current possibilities are a pair of the yorkvilles, or a single srx718 and hope to pick up another later on.

• Members

Jack, I don't know if they are still available but MF was blowing out the MRX 518 subs at just over $900 a pair. Not the greatest sub but well worth the money IMHO. You could run one on each side of a 1450 fairly decently.

• Members

Jack, I don't know if they are still available but MF was blowing out the MRX 518 subs at just over $900 a pair. Not the greatest sub but well worth the money IMHO. You could run one on each side of a 1450 fairly decently.

Since the subs are 4 ohms, this would be a good option.

• Members

The question wasn't actually for me, but for a friend. He has already purchased the Yorkville LS608s; he got the pair for ~600.

Hopefully they will do what he wants; they are bound to be better than the Samson RS18s he has been using. Once again, thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

Archived