No announcement yet.

Cable length for powered speakers?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable length for powered speakers?

Well, I finally got some powered speaker to replace my crappy PA. Now, I need to get some balanced cables to run from my mixer to the speakers. I'm thinking TRS cables (instead of XLRs) in case I ever luck into a steal of a deal on a snake (and because I don't have XLR outs on the board--I could buy adapters, but why bother).

Any recommendations on what length to look for? I was originally thinking 50' so I could make any run I needed, but that seems a little extreme....thoughts?
    Peaces, Crazybilly

The "problem" with TRS cables is that they are hard to extend. With XLR cables you can just join up two 25 footers to make a 50 when you need one. Most snakes are XLR only also - only some of the crap ones have TRS. To adapt your board outs to XLR buy these:
    http://audiopile.net/products/Mic_Instr_Cables/MP_Adaptor_Cbls/MP-106/MP-106_cutsheet.shtml
    I prefer to use the one footers, the two or five footers would be OK too - YMMV.

Comment

Hm. Maybe get a couple adapaters and 4 25' cables, then? Or two 30' and two 20'. That's actually a substanially more usable set up.
      Peaces, Crazybilly

Comment

Hm. Maybe get a couple adapaters and 4 25' cables, then? Or two 30' and two 20'. That's actually a substanially more usable set up.
        Only problem is if your cables aren't all the same length you have to keep track of the odd ones somehow .

Comment

All the same length makes inventory management SO much easier.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

Good call.Time to troll ebay for a set of 4 25' cables!

On a related note, do the make long power cables for those things, or does everybody just run an extension cord up to the base of the speaker stand?
            Peaces, Crazybilly

Comment

On a related note, do the make long power cables for those things, or does everybody just run an extension cord up to the base of the speaker stand?

Why not order some quality cable from Mark at www.audiopile.net? Sure beats buying some of the typical internet junk. The difference in cost is almost trivial.

Usually just power to the base of each spaker stand or stack and then plug in whatever you need to.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Comment

I'm with Age with another vote for Mark's EWI cables since had mine for years with no probs.
                As far as power cord I use 12 gauge extension cord with a quad box for each speaker stack and also being I own LED lighting rig I can also plug in my LED lights on the same power cord since LEDs don't draw much current and never tripped a breaker in the past 5 years when I switched over from a passive to active rig and from standard lighting to LED lighting.

Comment

Why not order some quality cable from Mark at www.audiopile.net? Sure beats buying some of the typical internet junk. The difference in cost is almost trivial.

Usually just power to the base of each spaker stand or stack and then plug in whatever you need to.

I'm with Andy on this. Almost every cable in my collection is from Audiopile.net and they a top quality.

BTW, I use XLR on everything I can. The only time I use TRS is when there is no other way.

Comment

Buy them from http://audiopile.net

I bought 25 foot ones from monoprice.com :
                    http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10228

Comment

Right - XLR cables for everything. All the same length - 20 ft. is fine. Just hook em together. Buy whatever adaptors you need to buy. Buy everything at Audiopile.net. They are awesome. I buy all my cables and stuff there - never been disappointed. Keep it simple!
                      http://www.myspace.com/steverobertband
                      Fav. Quote: "Be the change you want to see in the world."

Comment

Oh - only buy BLACK extansion cords for use on stage. Make sure you get heavy gauge ones.
                        http://www.myspace.com/steverobertband
                        Fav. Quote: "Be the change you want to see in the world."

Comment

I find 25 foot cables more useful than 20 footers, YMMV .

Comment

I find 25 foot cables more useful than 20 footers, YMMV .

as do I, either 25 or 30' work well with my needs. 20' is just too short for many needs.

Comment

as do I, either 25 or 30' work well with my needs. 20' is just too short for many needs.
                              Yah, the bigger stages seem to shrink even the 25 footers down to "one foot too short" .

Comment

Working...
                              X