Cable length for powered speakers?

• Members

Crazybilly.... listen to what was said prior to the hijacking ;) XLR's are the way to go. Other reasons not mentioned....

1 - Redundancy - You have to use XLR cables anyway so just buy a few more. Now you have one cable type for all your connections. Buy a couple spares and you have spares for inputs to channels and outputs to speakers (plus can extend runs as mentioned).

2 - Just Better - TRS cables pull out more easily and can be accidentally plugged 1/2 way in making intermittent connections. The jacks also seem to be more flakey (there are a lot of cheap TRS jacks out there).

• Members

While we're at it, it should be mentioned that another option is a cable loom with XLR and power cable together, inside an outer sleeve. You can make your own, or buy commercial versions like the ProCo Siamese Twins, which can be had with various options on how you want the AC terminated, and how many cables in the loom. I just use the basic Siamese Twins with XLR and Edison plugs on one end, XLR and IEC plugs on the other end, in both 25 foot and 50 foot lengths depending on the size of the stage.

The loomed cable is heavier and a bit harder to coil than individual XLR and AC cables (due to the outer sleeve), but it makes setup and teardown go much faster. For two powered FOH speakers and two powered monitors, it's just four cables to connect and then coil up and pack, instead of eight separate cables. This works best if your AC distribution is next to your mixer, so everything is plugged in at more or less the same spot. If you need to extend a loomed cable, you can just attach a regular XLR cable and AC extension cable on the mixer end.

• Members

I use power cables like these below to power my JBL PRX612 active cabs.

Good quality product and handles more than enough current.

$23.24 , I'd rather spend $8 :

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10228&cs_id=1022801&p_id=5288&seq=1&format=2

The eBay one is only rated at 10A, the Monoprice one 13A.

• Members

Agree with ABZURD - XLR cables are the way to go - no question. I do have to admit - that with 20' cables - I DO have to hook them together pretty often - and like other more knowledgable posters have said - hmm - maybe 25' or 30' would be better. Since I HAVE 20' cables - I'll just say - "they are fine" - (as long as you have enough - ) - even if 25' or

30 ' would be better.

And repeating - Audiopile.net is a super source.

Now I can further say - that I love having their "Blue Quad" cables - even though - well - they are blue. Actually - that is why I love them. Nobody ever mistakes MY cables for one of theirs - cause theirs are always BLACK - and mine are BLUE. I love it. I wish I had NO Black XLR cords although I do have "some" - from before I found out about the Blue Quad ones. Now - as to the color - honestly - on a stage - the blue looks black (in stage lighting). They are NOT objectionable at all really. (Unlike an ORANGE extension cord that might be.)

Just saying.

(Thanks for all the good information here at Harmony Central Live Sound Production!)

• Members

Since you guys are talking about it in this thread already, are there economical but effective powerstrips to use on stage? lol Obviously factoring out the ones from the 99 cent stores, of course. Would Home Depot, for instance, be a good source for stage power strips and extension cords?

Oh and I am not handy, so I have no desire to even try to make them like some of you guys do. :)

• Members

Since you guys are talking about it in this thread already, are there economical but effective powerstrips to use on stage? lol Obviously factoring out the ones from the 99 cent stores, of course. Would Home Depot, for instance, be a good source for stage power strips and extension cords?

Oh and I am not handy, so I have no desire to even try to make them like some of you guys do.
:)

The only way I have found to get good extension cords is to build them myself. The ones at Home Depot, apart from being orange, yellow or some other color, is that they have molded ends. They will eventually fail if used a lot. Leviton plugs/connectors and 12-3 SOOW cord is the only way to go for me.

• Members

The only way I have found to get good extension cords is to build them myself. The ones at Home Depot, apart from being orange, yellow or some other color, is that they have molded ends. They will eventually fail if used a lot. Leviton plugs/connectors and 12-3 SOOW cord is the only way to go for me.

The problem is that I am simply NOT going to build my own cords. I am not a DIY kind of guy when it comes to cables or power cords, and that's just the way it is. I respect people who do, but that isn't me.

So does anyone have an answer to my question with the above stated limitation or is it 99 cent store here I come? lol Kidding about the 99 cent store, obviously.

• Members

The problem is that I am simply NOT going to build my own cords. I am not a DIY kind of guy when it comes to cables or power cords, and that's just the way it is. I respect people who do, but that isn't me.

So does anyone have an answer to my question with the above stated limitation or is it 99 cent store here I come? lol Kidding about the 99 cent store, obviously.

You might want to look on the 'net and see what you can find. If it is for stage use you will want all black. Orange and yellow contruction industry type cords will show up like a sore thumb.

Archived