No announcement yet.

Stones

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stones

I was pleased to read that the Stones FOH BE uses two Yamaha PM4000 ANALOG consoles with Clair on the U.S. tour.

How great is that!

Analog rules boyz

Which makes me wonder about their rider specs. I always assumed the bigger acts would mandate nuclear-powered- whatever-the-latest-thing is.

A&H GL2800 console, BagEnd Crystals over D-18's, 12"and 15" BagEnd and EAW wedges powered and processed by QSC, Klark, BSS, Symetrix, Valley, Sabine, Peavey and BagEnd INFRA.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Tomm Williams
      View Post

Which makes me wonder about their rider specs. I always assumed the bigger acts would mandate nuclear-powered- whatever-the-latest-thing is.

If you want analog you want analog. But I don't think there is a "latest-thing" in analog world. Still.......a PM4K????

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by dennis a
        View Post

But I don't think there is a "latest-thing" in analog world.

That might be because of a lack of need. There might not be anything cost effectively marketable to add to mainstream products in that platform at this time.

It isn't what you put on the shelf as a manufacture that counts, but rather it's the holes that appear on the shelves that need filled that drives the market.

Comment

Brings me to another thought. How much do bands (big bands) really know about their SR? I know they hire the best they can find for engineers but would Mick Jagger really know a Mixwiz from a Presonus from a Midas ? I wonder how much the engineer is driving the choice of components?

I see this frequently where someone post's that Singer "A" uses a Sennheiser "whatever". and then everybody runs out to buy a half-dozen of them. Well who actually convinced them to use that mic? Do these equipment choices really reflect what the band is trying to accomplish or what the BE is trying to accomplish or is it somewhere in between?

I suspect there are a lot of big name bands who don't know **************** about how their sound gets to the audience and could care less as long as it's excellent (Anyone heard The Eagles live?) I think it could be very, very difficult to make any concrete conclusions as to why any band chose any piece of equipment unless you could talk in depth with the sound provider.

A&H GL2800 console, BagEnd Crystals over D-18's, 12"and 15" BagEnd and EAW wedges powered and processed by QSC, Klark, BSS, Symetrix, Valley, Sabine, Peavey and BagEnd INFRA.

Comment

View Post

Brings me to another thought. How much do bands (big bands) really know about their SR? I know they hire the best they can find for engineers but would Mick Jagger really know a Mixwiz from a Presonus from a Midas ? I wonder how much the engineer is driving the choice of components?

I see this frequently where someone post's that Singer "A" uses a Sennheiser "whatever". and then everybody runs out to buy a half-dozen of them. Well who actually convinced them to use that mic? Do these equipment choices really reflect what the band is trying to accomplish or what the BE is trying to accomplish or is it somewhere in between?

I suspect there are a lot of big name bands who don't know **************** about how their sound gets to the audience and could care less as long as it's excellent (Anyone heard The Eagles live?) I think it could be very, very difficult to make any concrete conclusions as to why any band chose any piece of equipment unless you could talk in depth with the sound provider.

Keep in mind that the Stones BE, ME, Tour Manager, Road Manager, Instrument Techs etc are on the Stones payroll and the FOH tech, Monitor Tech, Stage Tech etc are on the sound company's payroll. These are two separate camps. The Stones BE was hired by the Stones because of the sound he is able to get. He specs the entire system and the Stones don't care what he specs as long as he continues to achieve the sound they expect. Mick doesn't care about Mixwiz/Presonus/Midas..........he hires people to sort through that for him.

Comment

View Post

Keep in mind that the Stones BE, ME, Tour Manager, Road Manager, Instrument Techs etc are on the Stones payroll and the FOH tech, Monitor Tech, Stage Tech etc are on the sound company's payroll. These are two separate camps. The Stones BE was hired by the Stones because of the sound he is able to get. He specs the entire system and the Stones don't care what he specs as long as he continues to achieve the sound they expect. Mick doesn't care about Mixwiz/Presonus/Midas..........he hires people to sort through that for him.

Exactly my point (which I didn't make clear I guess) Refreshing to know that one of the most famous groups in rock history, is perfectly happy with 20 year old technology (run well of course). Makes me think twice about the "need" for a digital mixer. Of course, there's a hell of a lot going on besides the PM4000....................still. Andy has stated more than once his affection for the PM1800, this message shouldn't be passed over too non-chalantly.

Comment

Given the longevity (age) of the musicians themselves, 20 year old technology might seem plenty new in context.... Mark C.
                "Good tools are expensive. Cheap tools are damned expensive."

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Miko Man
                  View Post

Given the longevity (age) of the musicians themselves, 20 year old technology might seem plenty new in context.... Mark C.

With the remote possibility of drug-induced memory loss, they might even think the PM4000 just came out.

Comment

If it was not for the flashbacks, do you think they would have any chance of remembering the lyrics to the old songs? Mark C.
                    "Good tools are expensive. Cheap tools are damned expensive."

Comment

View Post

Makes me think twice about the "need" for a digital mixer.

Why? The benefits of digital desks are typically in logistics: they're smaller, lighter, have instant recall and often require less cabling. Aside from being able to use TDM plugins on Avid desks, there's little that can be done on a digital desk that can't also be done on an analog desk given sufficient space, manpower and outboard gear.

-Dan.
                      Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.

Comment

View Post

If you want analog you want analog. But I don't think there is a "latest-thing" in analog world. Still.......a PM4K????

Well, there is the reliability track record and familiarity. I would have thought 5k if this is their preferred camp but I don't see anybody complaining, either on stage or in the seats
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Miko Man
                          View Post

If it was not for the flashbacks, do you think they would have any chance of remembering the lyrics to the old songs? Mark C.

More likely have teleprompter and bet concert tickets will be outrageous on price.

Comment

Their BE has probably been with them for years and is used to driving a 4K. Being old school R&R they probably don't need too many insane special FX so why not. A well maintained 4K is a truly reliable piece of equipment. Since the local crew probably has to move it and labor cost isn't a concern, again, why not?
                            J.R. Previously jrble

See my Dog Of The Hair studio at: http://www.dogoth.com/studio/

Quote from someone: Flat response? Get out the jack and change the tire.
                            If you think "power is knowledge", you have it backwards.

Comment

I just had a thought: I wonder if they're the same PM4K's that maybe they were running on 10 - 12 years ago when I saw them in Oakland & San Jose. I think I still have some pictures of the FOH mix position after the show in San Jose.

I just had another thought: I'll have to dig up those pictures... heck... maybe one of my PM4K's is one of the ones they were using at that San Jose show? I know one PM4K looks a lot like any other... but maybe there's some tell-tale signs with the flight case tray?

I do vaguely remember the FOH FX inner racks were all constructed of Corean (like 1 1/4" thick)... and none of my PW4K cases are Corean construction (thank goodness), but I didn't pay attention if their PW4K cases were constructed like their FX racks... maybe the pictures will show that.

I do remember their FOH engineer was a super nice guy... ultra cordial and polite... and eager to show me all the cool toys he had to work with.

Humm... I wonder if I could talk them into playing next year's Farmington harvest festival... I am fixing on supplying their favorite model of mixing console. I'd even bring donuts.

Comment

Working...
                              X