As a solo/duo act can you or do you do instrumentals?

Telecruiser

• Members

The one thing I am first is a guitar player. I am more in the vein of a country, bluegrass, r&r, blues type player. I can flatpick and fingerpick (both using thumb or thumbpick) solo with no problem. I did a two hour gig once just doing made up fingerpicking songs for background so instrumental work for me is fun. With a bass player I like doing surf and/or Ventures instrumentals, bluegrass flatpick tunes etc.

How about you? Do you put instrumentals into your routine?

• Members

On some songs, if I feel like it, I'll pull a "Satriani" and play them as rock instrumentals. Not very often though. At most, just one or two songs a night.

It would certainly be fun to do a set of instrumental material, but I'm known more for my voice, so audiences are mostly there to hear me sing.

• Members

I used to do solo or duo gigs with a bass player that would be predominately instrumental - chord melody versions of standards and pop tunes and the like, but that was meant to be background music for dinner and cocktails and worked fine. The current duo - two guitars/two vocals - is really a vocal driven thing. I've gotten to where I have even seriously cut down on my solos during gigs as it began to feel self-indulgent in this context. Probably because I watched too many guys play long, repetitive solos while the audience drifted away to conversation or, worse, checking their e-mail and texting. Now, if I solo for 12 or 16 bars in two or three songs a set it seems to get attention because it stands out. I am becoming a proponent of the 'less is more' school of thought.

• Members

I've got some vocal tunes on my cd but never spend the time getting them together for performance. It's a lot easier putting a vocal track down than singing it while you're picking. I'm just not very comfortable with my voice. Much more into instrumental fingerstyle on acoustic, so that's what I play out.

• Members

The one thing I am first is a guitar player. I am more in the vein of a country, bluegrass, r&r, blues type player. I can flatpick and fingerpick (both using thumb or thumbpick) solo with no problem. I did a two hour gig once just doing made up fingerpicking songs for background so instrumental work for me is fun. With a bass player I like doing surf and/or Ventures instrumentals, bluegrass flatpick tunes etc.

How about you? Do you put instrumentals into your routine?

Approx. 25% of any gig will be instrumentals...adds a bit of variety and the audiences seem to like it. :)

Mostly do easily recognized things like Somewhere Over the Rainbow, Pachabel's Canon in "D" (which I figured out in "G", before I bothered to find the correct key :rolleyes: ), Georgia On My Mind, Blues For Herb, Under The Double Eagle, Irish Medley, stuff like that.

• Members

On some songs, if I feel like it, I'll pull a "Satriani" and play them as rock instrumentals. Not very often though. At most, just one or two songs a night.

It would certainly be fun to do a set of instrumental material, but I'm known more for my voice, so audiences are mostly there to hear me sing.

Im known for my voice too thats why I did a lot of instrumentals and half the vocals songs had long solos .

Archived