Greetings

bill402

• Members

So, I've been lurking here for a while, and just usings posts as a jump off point for advice and entertainment. I guess I felt the need to expose myself today, so I just wanted to introduce myself to all of you.

Of all the forums on HC, this is my favorite. My name is Bill, and I currently play in restaurants, small bars/wine bars, and coffeehouses.

I wanted to just say hello, and since you're all so wise, take a look at my site. Feel free to offer criticism as need. Used wix.com from BlueStrat's recommendation.

Thanks!

http://www.billrester.com

• Members

Hi Bill, pity I didn't know about you last year when I was in your neck of the woods and would have loved to have popped in and seen you play. Re your website just viewed it on iPad and it looks really good and loads well. Some things occur to me though so feel free to take them or ignore them.

You describe yourself as a Solo Acoustic and yet a couple of your photos show you playing electric and one with another person, I would avoid any ambiguity and replace them with photos of you playing acoustic and solo.

Your site looks pro but your vids look like they were shot in your bedroom even moving to having a plain wall background would be better but best would be recorded live with a crowd loving you.

I would delete all of the exclamation marks, they're not needed and it's a bit like laughing at your own joke.

I would have your phone number on every page , you simply can't make it too easy for someone to contact you.

I would re write the home page in the first person i.e.

Hi I am Bill Rester a solo acoustic artist and can be found keeping crowds entertained in coffee houses, restaurants and bars across the Southern Mississippi area. I play a wide variety of songs and styles from the 1930s right through to the latest chart hits and love crowd interaction encouraging requests I am currently booking for September so if you require uptempo or laid back entertainment get in touch today on 555 1234 or email info@billrester.com

Re above I would get an email the same as your domain name, should be free or at least inexpensive with your host

On the Contacts page I would Chamge For Booking Requests to For More Information and Bookings

Anyhow just some quick thoughts but I have been on a long flight today and really need some sleep.

All the best Steve

• Members

You might consider adding a partial songlist to your website that shows more diversity than what the video clips alone convey. Do you really want potential clients who've had no other exposure to your material - basing their impressions of your act based on just 3 songs, the most current of which was first released in 1973? There's certainly nothing wrong with any of the 3 tunes that appear in the video - but, in the absence of anything indicating you've got more current stuff on the playlist - you increase the risks of clients jumping to a conclusion that you're not doing more current material.

• Members

Hi Bill, pity I didn't know about you last year when I was in your neck of the woods and would have loved to have popped in and seen you play. Re your website just viewed it on iPad and it looks really good and loads well. Some things occur to me though so feel free to take them or ignore them.

You describe yourself as a Solo Acoustic and yet a couple of your photos show you playing electric and one with another person, I would avoid any ambiguity and replace them with photos of you playing acoustic and solo.

Your site looks pro but your vids look like they were shot in your bedroom even moving to having a plain wall background would be better but best would be recorded live with a crowd loving you.

I would delete all of the exclamation marks, they're not needed and it's a bit like laughing at your own joke.

I would have your phone number on every page , you simply can't make it too easy for someone to contact you.

Hi I am Bill Rester a solo acoustic artist and can be found keeping crowds entertained in coffee houses, restaurants and bars across the Southern Mississippi area. I play a wide variety of songs and styles from the 1930s right through to the latest chart hits and love crowd interaction encouraging requests I am currently booking for September so if you require uptempo or laid back entertainment get in touch today on 555 1234 or email

Re above I would get an email the same as your domain name, should be free or at least inexpensive with your host

On the Contacts page I would Chamge For Booking Requests to For More Information and Bookings

Anyhow just some quick thoughts but I have been on a long flight today and really need some sleep.

All the best Steve

I agree with a lot of these points, especially regarding the bedroom clips (prefer to see live with an audience and I'm sure potential clients would prefer it too) and the slightly confusing pics of you playing bass guitar and electric guitar. If you are promoting yourself primarily as a vocal/acoustic performer, you need to keep your focus on that.

You could always say you can play electric guitar and bass guitar in a separate area if you were looking to get fill-in jobs on the side for other groups or something.

Attention spans are getting shorter every year. The quicker you can get across what you do, the better.

• Members

Hey Bill! Welcome to the forum! I'm on the IPad and it looks good. I'd also change your "info" to first person. It's a little more pleasant to read. Here's some good advice for you...jump in to this forum head first! I can honestly say that although we all probably have our quirks at times, these people here are genuine, honest and friendly. The forum has really been picking up some steam this summer. I'm sure it will grow even more in the winter. Again welcome!

• Members

Hi I am Bill Rester a solo acoustic artist and can be found keeping crowds entertained in coffee houses, restaurants and bars across the Southern Mississippi area. I play a wide variety of songs and styles from the 1930s right through to the latest chart hits and love crowd interaction encouraging requests I am currently booking for September so if you require uptempo or laid back entertainment get in touch today on 555 1234 or email

All the best Steve

Good thoughts, Steve. Where were visiting last year? New Orleans?

• Members

Will definitely fix what I can. Thank you all very much. Believe it or not, those were the only good photos I had. So, really, it's a matter of just filling up the space right now. Everyone likes to think they are a photog, but few really take compelling photos. And yeah the videos are in a bedroom. I just cant seems to get good quality clips from a live setting. Any thoughts?

• Members

I just cant seems to get good quality clips from a live setting. Any thoughts?

The last couple of live vids I've taken were from a regualr digital camera on "record" setting. Although they're not HD. they look and sound pretty good.

• Members

Good thoughts, Steve. Where were visiting last year? New Orleans?

I travel quite a bit in the USA, and was in New Orleans at Halloween and then drove straight up Mississippi to Tupelo and from there to Nashville. It was before I joined this forum so I didn't really know the best places to go for live music. My next trip is jan/feb next year when I will be in Texas and this time will defo be asking for advice on here

I believe that most of the advice on here comes from good hearts, but only you know what will work for you and your audiences so you must take and leave as you see fit. I am photographer by trade and am new to performing live so this forum has been not only a source of advice but inspiration as well.

All the best with your endeavors.

Steve

• Members

I travel quite a bit in the USA, and was in New Orleans at Halloween and then drove straight up Mississippi to Tupelo and from there to Nashville. It was before I joined this forum so I didn't really know the best places to go for live music. My next trip is jan/feb next year when I will be in Texas and this time will defo be asking for advice on here

I believe that most of the advice on here comes from good hearts, but only you know what will work for you and your audiences so you must take and leave as you see fit. I am photographer by trade and am new to performing live so this forum has been not only a source of advice but inspiration as well.

All the best with your endeavors.

Steve

what's that cool guitar you go there in your avatar?

• Members

what's that cool guitar you go there in your avatar?

It's a Burns Marquee, it was supposed to be the British version of a Fender strat and has been used by quite a few notables over the years from Brian May who has his own signature model, Elvis, Chris Stien of Blondie, to Alex from Franz Ferdinand amongst others. Great to play, great sounds and distinctive looks, I am a big fan.

Cheers Steve

Archived