Bomb scares make for bad business...

Shaster

• Members

I had a flippant title for this post, but in truth, there's nothing funny about bombs or bomb scares.

The Governor General of Canada was supposed to come by the lounge that I was playing in today. They had set up two large tables, and it was going to be quite the thing. Unfortunately, he didn't make it, probably due to a bomb scare nearby. The PM and all the premiers were meeting "next door" and a suspicious truck was parked close to them. For a while, I didn't know how I was going to get to work as they had closed all the streets adjacent to where I was playing.

The gig still went relatively okay, but it was kind of a downer. Man, I'm just so tired of all the hatred in this world. Life is short enough. Okay - sermon off.

• Moderators

But we did...the Viet Nam War ended...but some people can't leave well enough alone. I don't know about Canada, but the jingoism in the US is compounding itself daily, and now we get the Trump effect, piling fear and hatred on top national military fervor...I never considered leaving here even when my draft lottery number was 38...but a Trump regime makes me think there are greener, and probably safer, pastures.

Shaster, I feel your pain, I had a similar thing here right after 9/11, and had to walk out of a gig, leaving all our gear on stage [well, almost all, I took my guitar with me], because they found an 'unattended suitcase' in an elevator in the hotel we were playing. As it turned out, about forty minutes later, the person who had inadvertently left it in the elevator turned up...IDIOT!

• Members
But we did...the Viet Nam War ended...but some people can't leave well enough alone. I don't know about Canada, but the jingoism in the US is compounding itself daily, and now we get the Trump effect, piling fear and hatred on top national military fervor...I never considered leaving here even when my draft lottery number was 38...but a Trump regime makes me think there are greener, and probably safer, pastures.

This will be my last political comment in the thread but…

Since the last election, I and many Canadians feel as though we've saved ourselves --barely-- from the grip of a genuinely pathological governing party. It's a little like we tapped our ruby slippers and Sauron dissipated in a cloud of smoke.

of course

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_SWP3qI7Rg

• Members

This will be my last political comment in the thread but…

Since the last election, I and many Canadians feel as though we've saved ourselves --barely-- from the grip of a genuinely pathological governing party. It's a little like we tapped our ruby slippers and Sauron dissipated in a cloud of smoke.

Never heard him called that, but apt in my book - apologies to all that loved him and were sorry to see him go.

• Members

I get to complain, because I vote. And I get to complain that I am forced to vote for the lesser of the two evils presented to me or else waste my vote on someone who has no chance, therefore really not voting at all.

I think there should be a "None of the above" or "Abstain" box in the ballot. Of course, that would be wasting a vote, but at least sending a message.

Archived