Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Pedal washboard

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedal washboard

In addition to my guitars (hands), racked harmonicas (mouth), "Toe Tapper" (sounds a lot like a bass drum" - right foot), and voice (again, mouth), I built this, so that my left foot would have something to add to the jam...a pedal washboard.

Debuted it at this morning's 11am-2pm lunch gig and it went over pretty well, and had an offer to sell it or build another one for one of the owners, who likes to sing at family gatherings...told I'd have to figure out how much to charge him, as I wasted a lot of $$$ in figuring out how to make it work.
    Pedal washboard
    God(s) bless the rest of the world(s), too

Terrry whats shakin'?! Love to see that thing "in action" maybe a youtube clip? You know I'm a big fan of foot percussion too so big thumbs up.philthumb

Comment

Terry can you post a pic of your toe tapper please Cheers Steve
      Cheers Steve
      my website http://www.macthehat.com/

Comment

Originally posted by fingerpicker View Post
        Terrry whats shakin'?! Love to see that thing "in action" maybe a youtube clip? You know I'm a big fan of foot percussion too so big thumbs up.philthumb
        Good idea...I'll see if I can get my daughter to whip out her video camera this weekend.

It occurred to me, last night, that one of my mistakes, with this one, was that I didn't make this one foldable, so it could fit into a suitcase, so I'll likely build another soon, then sell this one to the guy inquiring about it. Should've planned better!
        Last edited by Terry Allan Hall; 03-20-2014, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by steve mac View Post
          Terry can you post a pic of your toe tapper please Cheers Steve
          This is the latest version, next to one of my harmonicas, to show size...the previous versions were about 2X the size of this one.

Comment

Thanks Terry, does it work with a piezzo? I am trying to add a bit of natural percussion and move away from a drum machine, so far I have a squashed metal tambourine strapped to my foot so am looking for ideas. Cheers Steve
            Cheers Steve
            my website http://www.macthehat.com/

Comment

Originally posted by steve mac View Post
              Thanks Terry, does it work with a piezzo? I am trying to add a bit of natural percussion and move away from a drum machine, so far I have a squashed metal tambourine strapped to my foot so am looking for ideas. Cheers Steve
              Exactly, a piezo is imbedded in silicone within the block of wood. There is also a capacitor and a resister, which bleeds off high and certain mid frequencies, leaving only a nice "thump".

Plugged it into a mixer, with the channel EQ adjusted to taste, or a power sub, sounds best, but it also works through a guitar amp well enough.

Comment

This is genius! I see you have whatever rubs across the washboard attached to the middle of the sliding wood piece with what looks like a wood screw. What is it screwed onto the board to make contact with the washboard surface? A bottle cap?

Comment

Originally posted by deepflight View Post
                  This is genius! I see you have whatever rubs across the washboard attached to the middle of the sliding wood piece with what looks like a wood screw. What is it screwed onto the board to make contact with the washboard surface? A bottle cap?
                  1-tablespoon measuring spoon, after being bent to fit into the space.
                  Can anyone guess which Ronald Coleman movie I was watching when I figured out to make this gizmo work?

Comment

• Dilrod
                    Dilrod commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Er... Beau Geste?

• daddymack
                    daddymack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Lost Horizon....?

Originally posted by Terry Allan Hall View Post
                  In addition to my guitars (hands), racked harmonicas (mouth), "Toe Tapper" (sounds a lot like a bass drum" - right foot), and voice (again, mouth), I built this, so that my left foot would have something to add to the jam...a pedal washboard.

Debuted it at this morning's 11am-2pm lunch gig and it went over pretty well, and had an offer to sell it or build another one for one of the owners, who likes to sing at family gatherings...told I'd have to figure out how much to charge him, as I wasted a lot of $$$ in figuring out how to make it work.
                  This is delightful. I really should get some sort of percussion thing going for my left foot.

Suggestion: rather than fish a line through a pulley to attach the spoon to the pedal, move the spring from the bottom to the top of the device and attach the pedal directly to the spoon. This would save a bunch of parts and, I think, provide the same motion.
                  Hi Mom!

Comment

• daddymack
                    daddymack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Funny, I was thinkin the same thing...direct drive, basically, with a spring return. Eliminating the string saves a bunch of parts nd simplifies the assembly (yeah, I've been a manufacturing engineer). Also, I think you could decrease the pieces of 2x4...but all in all, TAH, a neat piece of homespun engineering!

The movie that inspired my gizmo is the Ronald Coleman version of "A Tale Of Two Cities"...

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Allan Hall View Post
                    The movie that inspired my gizmo is the Ronald Coleman version of "A Tale Of Two Cities"...
                    soo, if they don't applaud or they talk through your songs, you haul out the big blade and replace the spoon and ...
                    Hi Mom!

Comment

Guillotine! Guillotine!
                      'tis a far, far better thing I do, than I have ever done...'tis a far, far better rest I go to, than I have ever known...
                      _"We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminant period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Comment

on the other hand, having the rope in there deals with the problem that the end of pedal actually moves in an arc rather than a straight line
                        Hi Mom!

Comment

Originally posted by pogo97 View Post
                          on the other hand, having the rope in there deals with the problem that the end of pedal actually moves in an arc rather than a straight line
                          True enough...the first version of this contraption (this is Version 3), was as you and Daddymack suggested, and couldn't get consistent contact throughout the arc. Version 2 was made from a cut-down mic boom, with a kitchen whisk engaging the corrugated surface, and it had similar problems, even though it worked from the side, as well as being physically larger.

Version 3 (forevermore known as "La Madame Guillotine" smiley-lol), so far has worked best, with no need for adjustment, once everything was in place.

When I make the next one, one that'll fold, it'll involve less wood/weight, most likely.

Comment

Working...
                          X