Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bought an RP250 two weeks ago. I have used it on two gigs so far and have been very pleased with the sounds directly into the PA (which is why I bought it). I also love using it as a practice tool with headphones.

I have not tried hooking it up to the computer yet, and quite frankly, am not sure why I need to do so. Programming is very easy and intuitive. What advantage is there to the computer program?

If somebody can explain it so even my 53 year old Luddite mind can comprehend, I might give it a try.

There are a few features that you can access through the PC hookup that might be useful.
    I believe you can change the order of your programs around, and also adjust parameters that aren't available on the unit.
    There may be others as well, but these are the only ones I've heard of.
    Member: MFSoaPS, OJ moo moos
    Grand High Master Of The Cheese Toast Ninja Clan
    70's Giannini Acoustic
    Ibanez SZ520QM
    Ibanes RG450DX - Yeah, It's back and better than ever

My SongS (note the "s"; there are now two actual songs there!!) - http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=518887

TheBeatButcher - RG450 is now "Batman" . . . no, wait: "Lefty"

That is all.

Dr. Tweedbucket - Make sure you center the [Future Moon Pie Shells] together first other wise you will have a stupid homemade, off center looking MooN PiE that everyone will laugh at !!

TheFox - STRAWBREIS R MAH FAVORIET FOD!111111 OMG LOL I CUD AAT THAM AL DAY!1!1!!1!1 YUM YUM YUM!!1!11!1

doomed-4-life - Have no fear little one, if this is truly the end we will all go on to a better place, some say that that place is paradise, Well I don't know about that, but I do believe there will be bitches and cheese toast

Comment

• Hi. I'm looking for advice on recording with the RP250. Using Cubasis VST 5, I set up the RP250 via USB. After a few attempts the RP250 ASIO driver was identified, and I was able to record some guitar. When I then recorded another track on top, there was a serious delay between the two. Is this caused by playing the backing track through USB, or is it some set-up issue on the software? When setting recording levels, I raised the USB level on the X-Edit audio set-up as the master volume on the RP250 was getting too loud for my headphones. There doesn't seem to be any guide on recording in the RP250 booklet or on the Digitech site. I've read about bypassing the USB but that's one of the main selling points of the RP250 in the first place. Will using ASIO4ALL solve the issue? It also seems crazy to use another audio interface when the RP250 is sold as one. So,how best can you deal with latency problems on the RP 250? On the plus side, the sounds and their variety are great - it's just getting the sounds recorded. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comment

• There doesn't seem to be any guide on recording in the RP250 booklet or on the Digitech site. I've read about bypassing the USB but that's one of the main selling points of the RP250 in the first place. Will using ASIO4ALL solve the issue? It also seems crazy to use another audio interface when the RP250 is sold as one. So,how best can you deal with latency problems on the RP 250? On the plus side, the sounds and their variety are great - it's just getting the sounds recorded. Any advice would be appreciated.

I use SONAR 5 and haven't had any latency issues. The units drivers work perfectly for me. I have to reset a few settings when switching between the RP and my main interface however that is a SONAR issue, not an RP driver issue. Honestly, the RP USB interface is extremely uncomplicated. Issues you are experiencing are more likely with a setting within your DAW rather than with the unit. Not very familiar with VST versions, is 5 new or fairly old?
        Will Chen Trio | FrugalGuitarist.com | FG on Facebook | Forum

Comment

• I bought an RP250 two weeks ago. I have used it on two gigs so far and have been very pleased with the sounds directly into the PA (which is why I bought it). I also love using it as a practice tool with headphones.

I have not tried hooking it up to the computer yet, and quite frankly, am not sure why I need to do so. Programming is very easy and intuitive. What advantage is there to the computer program?

If somebody can explain it so even my 53 year old Luddite mind can comprehend, I might give it a try.

Take a look at the manual. There are a good deal of parameters which you can't access from the panel and are only available via X-Edit. A few examples are Mid and Treb Freq on the eq, regeneration for flange, waveform for pretty much all modulation effects which support it, delay duck threshhold, reverb predelay, etc. This was a deciding factor in my choice of the 350 over the 250.

On the other hand, if you're liking the tones you're getting then play away. It's probably more productive (and fun) to hit the strings than twiddle knobs.

Comment

• a few questions for the RP350 experts:

#1- I am considering getting a RP350 (previous owner of RP200A and GNX3) and want to use one XLR to go to soundboard and one XLR to go to my amp for use as guitar only monitor. Is there a setting to set the XLR outputs as MONO (same signal to both)?

#2- Has anyone used this with both electric and acoustic guitars? I have a primary setup for my acoustic/elctric (Taylor 314ce with ES) but may want to try some light chorus/reverb effects only...no amp models.

#3- how is the accuracy of the tuner? will it be as good as my Fender PT-100 and the internal tuner on my Vox Valvetronix AD60VTX?

thanks!

Comment

• How do the effects compare quality wise to the GNX4? Trying to decide which to get?

Comment

• I picked up an RP350 yesterday on impulse.

I have a POD XT already, along with a not bad selection of tube amps, other amp sims (both hardware and software) and analog pedals.

My take, FWIW...

The RP350 does the least amount of damage to the raw guitar signal of any digital processor I've run into. If you turn of all the effects but still run through the RP350 (i.e not bypass), it sounds fine. The A/D-D/A is definitely a cut above the POD XT, for example.

The amps sims and the distortions are OK, but not particularly inspiring. I find the character of the distortions have a sameness about them, and not a lot of dimension. I wouldn't keep the unit for these as I have better options.

The compressor, likewise, doesn't do it for me. Made things sound smaller.

But it has the best modulation effects and reverb that I've come across in an emulation pedal. Plugged into an amp, they sounded great. I did a comparison against the same models in the XT, and there was no contest. The POD versions sound lifeless and fake, the RP350 were fun to play.

So, I think I'll keep it.

Again, just one guy's opinion.

js

Comment

• I'm on my second RP350 so this thread caught my eye.I bought the 1st one about 4-5 years ago and about yr 2 I started having trouble with the footswitches not working.I figured out how to shim the switches so they would work,but it did,nt last and I was opening the unit too often to correct this problem.I liked all the features it offered but got fed up with the "cheap" microswitch/foot switch assembly..the mnfg should really upgrade those switches !!!
                  I finally basically got rid of the unit for 50 bucks and showed the guy how to reshim the footswitches..he was happy with it for the money.
                  Afew weeks later I found another one on ebay-NIB unopened and won it for 100.00 I got the newer "Artist" version and so far it's been reliable,but I wonder if anyone else has had any problems with the footswitches on these things?

great info thread btw !!

Comment

• Well im in the market for a sys to just lay down bass, guitar and vocals and thght the gnx4 wld be great for that. After listening to a complete review of the effects, online source, i heard only abt 2 or 3 i liked. So the rest is waste of $ for me anyway. I do like the sound the mesas markII-c gives and not sure this pedal/effects deal is for me..

All the input is interesting to read and its amazing how much time and effort and $ is being spent by us and the manuf to keep us buzzing and buying..

Comment

• I'm on my second RP350 so this thread caught my eye.I bought the 1st one about 4-5 years ago and about yr 2 I started having trouble with the footswitches not working.I figured out how to shim the switches so they would work,but it did,nt last and I was opening the unit too often to correct this problem.I liked all the features it offered but got fed up with the "cheap" microswitch/foot switch assembly..the mnfg should really upgrade those switches !!!
                      I finally basically got rid of the unit for 50 bucks and showed the guy how to reshim the footswitches..he was happy with it for the money.
                      Afew weeks later I found another one on ebay-NIB unopened and won it for 100.00 I got the newer "Artist" version and so far it's been reliable,but I wonder if anyone else has had any problems with the footswitches on these things?

great info thread btw !!

Yep. I got a RP50. It stopped working after about 13 months hence not covered by warranty. I contacted Digitech and they effectively said too bad. I pulled it to bits myself as it was a throw away anyway and reassembled it and it worked. Whatever. The footswitches have now started to play up. I have always hated the fact that you need to stomp on two simultaneously to turn off an effect which is problematical when you are trying to hit it cleanly and quickly. I actually use it through a Boss loop pedal to switch in and out. I do want a new unit but am unsure what to go for. I am not really interested in the amp modelling side, just the delay, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser and I use an auto wah for one song.
                      The keenest sorrow is to recognize ourselves as the sole cause of all our adversities

Comment

• a few questions for the RP350 experts:

#1- I am considering getting a RP350 (previous owner of RP200A and GNX3) and want to use one XLR to go to soundboard and one XLR to go to my amp for use as guitar only monitor. Is there a setting to set the XLR outputs as MONO (same signal to both)?

#2- Has anyone used this with both electric and acoustic guitars? I have a primary setup for my acoustic/elctric (Taylor 314ce with ES) but may want to try some light chorus/reverb effects only...no amp models.

#3- how is the accuracy of the tuner? will it be as good as my Fender PT-100 and the internal tuner on my Vox Valvetronix AD60VTX?

thanks!

To answer question #2, I have used the RP100 with an Alvarez PJ85, and with some tweaking, I was able to get a pretty decent sound. I have a short clip recorded; PM me if you want to hear it. I'll post it on my soundclick or something.
                        Member: MFSoaPS, OJ moo moos
                        Grand High Master Of The Cheese Toast Ninja Clan
                        70's Giannini Acoustic
                        Ibanez SZ520QM
                        Ibanes RG450DX - Yeah, It's back and better than ever

My SongS (note the "s"; there are now two actual songs there!!) - http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=518887

TheBeatButcher - RG450 is now "Batman" . . . no, wait: "Lefty"

That is all.

Dr. Tweedbucket - Make sure you center the [Future Moon Pie Shells] together first other wise you will have a stupid homemade, off center looking MooN PiE that everyone will laugh at !!

TheFox - STRAWBREIS R MAH FAVORIET FOD!111111 OMG LOL I CUD AAT THAM AL DAY!1!1!!1!1 YUM YUM YUM!!1!11!1

doomed-4-life - Have no fear little one, if this is truly the end we will all go on to a better place, some say that that place is paradise, Well I don't know about that, but I do believe there will be bitches and cheese toast

Comment

• Hey Jon, how it with external MIDI control, like from a sequencer? I'm going to be checking that out soon and will post here with what I find, but I wonder if there's anything you've found of which I should be aware.

For this series of RP processors, DigiTech has chosen not to include MIDI control. For you guitarists looking for realtime MIDI control, and other MIDI features, check out DigiTech's GNX Guitar Workstations.

I downloaded the latest x-edit 2.1 and it appears there is midi after all!

looking closer at the RP-150 usb driver inf ( DigiUsb.inf )
                          ;
                          ; DIGIUSB.INF
                          ;
                          ; Copyright (c) 2003 CEntrance, Inc.
                          ;
                          ; For DigiTech RPX400/Vx400

String Definitions
                          ;------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Strings]
                          Provider = "DigiTech"
                          USBMfg = "DigiTech"
                          CEUSBAUDIO.DeviceDesc = "DigiTech USB Audio Device"
                          CEUSBMIDI1.DeviceDesc = "DigiTech USB MIDI Device (Port 1)"
                          CEUSBMIDI2.DeviceDesc = "DigiTech USB MIDI Device (Port 2)"
                          CEUSBAUDIO.Desc = "DigiTech USB Audio"
                          CEUSBMIDI1.Desc = "DigiTech USB X-Edit"
                          CEUSBMIDI2.Desc = "DigiTech USB Control"
                          CEUSBAUDIO.SvcDesc = "DigiTech USB Audio Driver"
                          CEUSBMIDI1.SvcDesc = "DigiTech USB MIDI Driver"
                          CEUSBMIDI2.SvcDesc = "DigiTech USB MIDI Driver"

The usb driver is clearly Audio and midi.

Also

The X-Edit Help.chm (help file) states

" Try opening a preset, then grab a knob on your unit and twist it. You’ll see the corresponding control in X-Edit change immediately. The same goes for storing presets, changing global settings, etc. This ensures that no matter how you prefer to work, your editor and your Lexicon device are always in sync. "

If is not midi then what is it? So what is the implementation?

Well the obvious thing to do is to connect a Vst host or midox and monitor midi sysex messages.... (not to mention what could be don with borgs midi translator)
                          can someone do this please .... !

Real-time adjustment of effects or settings is an important feature that i'm looking, when considering buying a unit like this, especially when thinking about reamping ....

The pod 2.0 has this feature, someone even made a vst plugin for it though sending midi cc's from any vst plugin works fine too.

However from what i've heard the Rp150 / 250 /350 sound better than the pod.

The other point i want to make is that if this thing is really just an external sound card with DSP software built in why shouldn't it be just as configurable
                          as say an old creative sound blaster or sound blaster live ( see the KX project - alternative drivers for Sb-live with user programmable dsp fx's including amp emulators !)

Well if its meant to be a stompbox / preamp / fx unit why can it not also be controlled by midi ast this facility has been around for years now.how about decoding sysex .... using a uno chip modded Behringer FCB 1010 floorboard controller to woork with it for advanced live setup. (even though a modded behringer may still have issues).

Don't get me wrong, i understand digitech's approach , low entry product , don't want to confuse or take the fun out of it with too many options etc give people what will work easiest and best, with out the hype .... sorry line 6 pod manual makes me sick ...

it seems like a great product... if only the RP-150 control pedal was assignable ,unlike that built in with the 250 then i'd probably just buy one straight away... and try figure out the rest.
                          Anyway ...i'm sure i might cop some flack for this for having unrealistic expectations or for shimmering the clear outline of the Rp-250 line as simple and easy to use.

Really though if i plug it in to my (non effect loop) amp valve amp with the amps controls set to flat will it sound any good.

If i only end up using next to a pc then why not just use free vst amp modelers KVR has a big list.

Anyway

Big Jim Beamer

P.s

Please some informative comments ...
                          i can't tell you any more about this or i would have already ... so don't ask me how to cause i'm asking you ok

Comment

• Pretty sure the unit is intended for use similar to that of a stompbox, that is into an amp/PA system. The USB interface and recording features are the "icing", if you will. Yes, indeed there is a MIDI (esque) CC messages which allow transfer between the unit and PC when connected, however the implementation is nominal (as you have seen). However, I'm really hoping they take advantage of this ability by eventually offering additional features/effects via downloadable upgrade.

The expression pedal is absolutely assignable, but only to a single parameter at a time (but that can be any parameter) in addition to switching to wah when extra pressure is applied.

As far as hacking the device, I'm not entirely sure I understand your post. Anyone can hack any digital device given the time and knowledge, but why? If you're smart enough to hack the DSP, why not just develop a VST plug which would do what you desire?

And if you enjoy all the free VST emulators out there, why not just use them? Are you asking us to convince you otherwise...because I'm all about free when free fulfills a need This device has a value and I believe the price justifies that value.

Comment

• Pretty sure the unit is intended for use similiar to that of a stompbox, that is into an amp/PA system. The USB interface and recording features are the "icing", if you will.

I figure the presets sound best through headphones or small amp at low volumes in the store.

Yes, indeed there is a MIDI (esque) CC messages which allow transfer betwwen the unit and PC when connected, however the implementation is nominal (as you have seen).

Can you send me some data using midiox, so i can take a look. cheers

However, I'm really hoping they take advantage of this ability by eventually offering additional features/effects via down loadable upgrade.

If i get on me too, but more likely bug fixes. I guess it won't happen until way down the track or unless people ask for it.

The expression pedal is absolutely assignable, but only to a single parameter at a time (but that can be any parameter) in addition to switching to wah when extra pressure is applied.

Ok can you tell me that for sure about the RP-150, i had a look at the demo on their site ... theres no 'expression' tab on the x-edit shown. The RP-250 demo shows an expression tab at the bottom of the screen. What happens if you plug a control pedal into the RP-150 does a expression tab suddenly appear dynamically?in x-edit will it disappear if you remove it while using x-edit. One parameter per patch may well be enough......

As far as hacking the device, I'm not entirely sure I understand your post. Anyone can hack any digital device given the time and knowledge, but why? If you're smart enough to hack the DSP, why not just develop a VST plug which would do what you desire?

What i was saying about 'hacking' is that people will do this to make something more useful ... i'm not suggesting hacking the DSP of the digitech, simply looking at the communication between it and a PC / Mac so as to use it to its full capacities with currently available music applications & tools.

And if you enjoy all the free VST emulators out there, why not just use them? Are you asking us to convince you otherwise...because I'm all about free when free fullfills a need. This device has a value and I believe the price justifies that value.

The fact that you can stream music back from the computer gave me the impression that its more akin to a USB sound card.In fact the promo Pdf doesn't even show the pedal, just a kid with a laptop and an amp.

It could be good with a laptop , as most laptops have crappy sound cards. I have a good pc sound card already!

For live use it really needs to stack up... cause i cant take a free amp vst and stomp on it without really messing up the laptop

The valve it's worth is the price people will pay for it.... its true value is in how they can use it.

Anyway

Big Jim Beamer
                              i can't tell you any more about this or i would have already ... so don't ask me how to cause i'm asking you ok

Comment

• I was just wondering if anyone has compared the RP250/RP350 with the effects in the EX-7 Expression Factory? The RP350 and EX-7 both go for $200 at MF and other etailers. But the RP350 has so many more effects PLUS presets PLUS the AudioDNA2 chip PLUS USB and X-edit while the EX-7 uses the previous generation chip and you can't preset your favourite settings per pedal model. With the exception of the univibe I think the RP250 has all the EX-7 effects - the RP350 includes the univibe too. I can see how Digitech is pricing the EX-7 as compared to wah pedals out there - 'hey, it's a wah PLUS these other cool effects' - but as compared to their RP350 the price is way high to me. But the proof is in the sounds, ain't it?
                                "Stiny! Get me a danish!"

Comment

Working...
                                X