DigiTech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor

• Members

Hey, thanks for all the info, everyone. I own several Digitech stompboxes, and in general I think they're great (the Bad Monkey especially).

I like the aesthetic redesign on this series, I think they now look more "pro" and less like toys. But, in listening to the clips posted in this thread, I think the thing sounds GREAT. As already mentioned, yes, many of the presets seem overdone, but the base tone is there. I was really impressed by the warmth on the cleaner settings.

How is the sweep on the pedal and how does the wah sound? Is it comfortable enough to use to ditch, say, my Crybaby?

These are some intriguing units, for sure. I'll have to make a point of checking them out. So many players go into instant snob mode when they hear the term "modeller', however I really feel we're getting to the point where the capabilities of these boxes are so good that few can legitimately tell the difference. That fat strat clip posted above sounds killer, what's not to like?

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
To Jake West:
The Mac version of X-Edit 2.0 isn't out yet, but an editor/librarian is fairly high-level stuff, as far CPU ops go, and should run fine on either an Intel or PPC Mac. I'll let you know what the boys from DigiTech say as soon as I hear, though.

To santos:
I'd just like to point out that the Cry Baby -- or any dedicated wah unit -- isn't just about treadle travel, response, and sweep. There's the tone generating circuitry to think of, too!

Easiest thing would be to take your CB and a jumper cable down to the local music emporium (check in with the guy guarding the door and tell him your plans) and run the two side by side.

In fact, I'm ordering you to do it and to report back to the breathless masses of forumites pondering the same question!

Seriously, I think people would be curious. And at least I'm not asking you to take down your Marshall stack and compare it to the 250's modeling version of it. :)
  • Members

A question came up on whether the RP250 would record with Pro Tools.

Turns out you can't record with Pro Tools using the USB connection to your computer. (Of course, if you have Pro Tools, it means you're also using one of their hardware devices, so just go through the audio connections.)

This of course, is the choice of Pro Tools not to work with hardware other than their own, rather than a shortcoming of the RP250.

For those of you working with a Mac, the RP250 does work with the Mac Core Audio technology, which means you can record with GarageBand, BIAS Peak/Deck, MOTU's Digital Performer, Cubase, and Apple's Logic or Logic Express.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have used my RP 200 for 3 years now. I have enjoyed some

of the sounds that I could produce--others, not so much.

The main problem i've had with this system is the power supply.

I have yet to have one last for over4-6 months without burning out. And this was just from moderate home usage---no gigs, and no abuse at all----it never left my house.

I am not the first person to complain about this problem---read the HC reviews on the RP 200. It is a major flaw---no power, no play. I have had to wait for weeks for new power supplies, and

Digitech is the only one who sells the one that will work.

AND they are not cheap. I felt that i got a good deal when I bought this unit, but I have now spent more on replacement power supplies than I have on the RP 200.

The only reason I mention this is because I am hoping that Digitech has resolved this issue with their new products. I

enjoyed using the unit when I could.

• Members

My wife just got this pedal, and we're trying to use the built-in drum machine to create a "click track" as she plays, and run it into a 4-track. The idea is to pan the Git hard left, and the drum hard right, then send them to separate tracks, thereby creating one Git track and one drum track, so that I may add a third (drum) track while playing back the drum machine track. Ultimately, we ditch the machine track, once I have used it as a "metronome" to keep the live drum track in time with her git.

In short, is there any way to seperate drum machine from guitar from within the unit (pan hard L & hard R)?

TIA for any tips.

• Members

Hi. If you take one of the new RP150,250,350's out in sunlight will the display washout and be difficult to see? If it does this is a major problem as far as I'm concerned because I do gigs outside sometimes. The other thing that bothers me are the back panel jacks. Since they don't have jack nuts the electrical connections to the internal printed circuit board can be broken easily if someone steps on the plug of a cable plugged into the unit, something falls on it or it is dropped. This can be possibly prevented if they have used some hot glue or RTV compound on the jacks when they manufacture the units but I have repaired a lot of music products over the years and most manufacturers don't implement additional protection like this. Of course jack nuts and RTV cost extra money and would drive the price up but the problems I mentioned do occur in the real world. Thanks.

• Members

Hey Jon, do you know if the Digitech folks read the forum on thier web site? I'm refering to the RP250 forum. The reason I'm asking is now that I'v had my 250 for a couple of weeks I thought of a couple of things that would "nice to haves". For instance, being able to have the tuner on one of the memory locations. I'm just a klutz I guess and have found it difficult to hit both of the foot switches at the same time. I'd also like the have the ability to have the expression pedal enable more than one thing at a time, like distortion level and gain or volume pedal and amp gain. Just some thoughts.

• Members

How does it sound in distortion palm muted? Is it a nice deep sound or "scratchy"? Would it be a good choice for someone that is looking to try out overdriven to distortion sounds? I don't have a chance to try it out in person due to my location, thanks.

• Members

I''m getting very bad latency using the ASIO drivers on the RP250 . To be precise, I am getting 35 ms even on the highest computer use setting in the panel (I am also surprised that the resolution is only 16 bit, 44.1 Khz, but I can live with that).

As comparison, I get 3 ms on my VM3100Pro/RPC-1 and never above 5 ms with my other interfaces (GS-10, Toneport, Zoom H4)

My computer is:

Core 2 Duo E6700 (2.2 Ghz), Asus P5B Deluxe, 2 Gb Corsair memory, WinXP Pro, SATA 10K drives.....

My GNX4 latency was also bad (10 ms.), but not THIS bad...:-)

• Members

NA! I'm diggin my GNX4 big time, my only regret is they didnt make a pedal just for the bass feature like in the gnx4. because i could care less about all the other stuff, only the fact when i use the gtr>2bass i dont have to change to a bass, i just play bass on my gtr...

being a gtr/bass/keyboard player its a bliss... how they figured out how to take the gtr out of the octaver i'll never know but am so glad they did ... i just wish they had a pedal without all the bells and whistles like the gnx4 has that i could just kick in the bass feature... for way less than the gnx4.

i sold my bass and no longer have to lug it around thanks to this feature...

• Members
Originally posted by JohnnyX

NA! I'm diggin my GNX4 big time, my only regret is they didnt make a pedal just for the bass feature like in the gnx4. because i could care less about all the other stuff, only the fact when i use the gtr>2bass i dont have to change to a bass, i just play bass on my gtr...

being a gtr/bass/keyboard player its a bliss... how they figured out how to take the gtr out of the octaver i'll never know but am so glad they did ... i just wish they had a pedal without all the bells and whistles like the gnx4 has that i could just kick in the bass feature... for way less than the gnx4.

i sold my bass and no longer have to lug it around thanks to this feature...

THe RP250 demo has a preset that mimics playing a bass guitar.

• Members

Yes, I would like to see a side by side review on the Zoom G7.1 UT (the tube version).

As to the RP250's bass simulation, here's the demo preset I snagged off Digitech's website below..

As to the online demos & mp3's available for the G7.1UT OR the G2.1 U, I am NOT IMPRESSED! The demo's are pretty sloppy in my opinion, and the guitar sound is muddled by the drum's and all the other instruments.. I thought it was a GUITAR multi effects box, NOT a recording studio!?

• Members

The Zoom G7 is $299 wheras the RP250 is $149. Two different price points, the GNX3000 would be the model to compare with the G7.

I am seriously trying to decide between the RP250/350 or a Roland Cube30 amp.

I am worried the RP series won't work as well with my Roland bluescube amp since my 'clean' channel goes into overdrive like a tube amp and I don't have a lot of clean headroom. I think the RP series would work well with an amp that has a clean channel that stays clean instead of starting to overdrive at loud volumes.

• Members

Has anyone tried the Alesis Transactive 50 amp as a clean PA for multieffects/amp/cabinet modelers? I have one that is arriving tomorrow to check out - hopefully, it will act like a studio speaker without coloring the sound. (50 watts in a very compact form factor; haven't seen any reviews on it, and it has been out for awhile, so I'm taking a chance...... well, ok, Musician's Friend has a 45 day return...:-).

But I've tried the RP250 direct in to my BX5a's, with excellent results....... (for my purposes)

Originally posted by telemike

The Zoom G7 is $299 wheras the RP250 is $149. Two different price points, the GNX3000 would be the model to compare with the G7.

I am seriously trying to decide between the RP250/350 or a Roland Cube30 amp.

I am worried the RP series won't work as well with my Roland bluescube amp since my 'clean' channel goes into overdrive like a tube amp and I don't have a lot of clean headroom. I think the RP series would work well with an amp that has a clean channel that stays clean instead of starting to overdrive at loud volumes.

• Members

Hi there.
Count me in the list of happy and satisfied
customers. I just bought an RP250 last night
at B St Music at San Mateo,CA. I love editing the preset
with my laptop, and save it via USB. I use a Martin acoustic,
000cxe, with fishman prefix pro pickup and a bassman
150 amp. I needed a vol.pedal,chorus,reverb,delay and
EQ. The RP250 just answered my need. :thu:

• Members

Try the free utility ASIO4ALL. I installed this utility so that I could record thru the RP250 and while monitoring on my main ASIO interface. With the ASIO4ALL I could lower the latency to under 128 samples, the max I can stand for live guitar.

Regards,
William
--------------------------------

Originally posted by BuleriaChk

I''m getting very bad latency using the ASIO drivers on the RP250 . To be precise, I am getting 35 ms even on the highest computer use setting in the panel (I am also surprised that the resolution is only 16 bit, 44.1 Khz, but I can live with that).

As comparison, I get 3 ms on my VM3100Pro/RPC-1 and never above 5 ms with my other interfaces (GS-10, Toneport, Zoom H4)

My computer is:

Core 2 Duo E6700 (2.2 Ghz), Asus P5B Deluxe, 2 Gb Corsair memory, WinXP Pro, SATA 10K drives.....

My GNX4 latency was also bad (10 ms.), but not THIS bad...:-)

• Members

On the sound I created below for my Fat Strat for the Bridge/Middle combination, I got some great feedback from a music minister/ fellow guitarist visiting our Church. He was very curious as to HOW I got that sound and said, 'it was very reverent, but with just the right 'bite' ". Well, that's exactly what I was looking for, and have got to say again how pleased I am with my RP250. I still am very pleased with the price/value of this unit and think it's an absolute steal for $149.95.

The only thing that puzzles me is running through our PA system loses some 'bite' if I go to 'mixer' mode. I've GOT to switch to 'AMP' mode for the best sound, but I don't know why. I don't even know technically what it does to switch that button. Anyway..

I encourage anyone here to create your own and share it with the site I'm linking below (digitech's sound community).. I really haven't found much on their so far that is worth a flip... but then again, the beauty of sound is in the ears of the behearer ;).

http://www.digitech.com/soundcomm/guitar_view_patch.asp?productid=226&patch_id=10547

• Members

Since a bunch of people were asking about the differences between the Zoom and the Digitech, I registered to give you my opinion. Like many of you, I too am afflicted by a serious case of G.A.S.

So recently I decided to "upgrade" my effects processor from the VAMP2. The VAMP2 actually sounds pretty killer for the tones I go for (mostly hi gain), but doesn't have a wah pedal nor USB. I mostly do home recording and jamming and was looking for a USB enabled device.

First I got a Zoom G2.1 U since I am a pretty big fan of the Zoom recording boxes (I've still got a PS02, PS04, and MRS-8 and I use the MRS-8 more than any other piece of gear I've ever had). I really liked the USB direct recording, and the patch change is indeed *very* fast. I was however, unable to get a decent hi gain sound out of it. The cleans were good, but not better than the RP250. I found myself back to using the sounds on the MRS8, so the G2.1 U got ebayed.

Next I got a a Toneport UX2. This has the best sounds among the three IMHO. Keep in mind that I use more hi gain sounds than cleans, and Line6's distorted sounds are just a bit better than the RP250's. The cleans are passable, but not as good as those on the RP250. So why did I get rid of the Toneport and go on to get an RP250? A couple of factors: While the Toneport's guitar tones sounded great to me, I found the latency unacceptable. It's not really that bad mind you, but I could detect it, and if I can tell its there, its too much. Also I was hoping that tracking vocals through it would help me simplify my setup, but I couldn't really get a vocal chain that sounded right to me (I'm now using a VTB1 preamp which I highly recommend). Having to use the computer for guitar effects is also a pain for jamming, so the Toneport went too.

Next up I got the Digitech RP250. IMO it sounds better than the Zoom G2.1U in both cleans and hi gain, and *way* better in low-gain/overdriven sounds. The patch editor is nice. It's patch change is darn fast too, which means you can line up several patches for a song and have no problems switching to them for different parts. Too me, the RP250's high gain sounds aren't as good as the Line6 stuff, but the low gain/overdriven sounds are just as good. I've spent a lot of time tweaking and have some hi gain patches that are pretty good, but I think the cabs are coloring the sound just a little too much. I guess to me the cabs all effect the sound very similiarly, and I just haven't found one that sounds quite as good as what I can get on my MRS8 or with the Line6 stuff. On the other hand, it is easily the best sounding Digitech I've ever had (and I've owned a bunch! RP14D, RP7, RP2000 etc...), and I could live with just the stomp models if I had to. The effects and reverbs are top notch.

I guess in the end I may end up getting a PODxt Live, which is a good bit larger and more expensive simply because the Floor POD doesn't have a USB out. Really, the only way to know which suits you best is to go and try them all out, and even then you don't *really* know until you've spent a few weeks with them trying to get *your* sound out of em. Good Luck to everyone!