DigiTech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor

Jon Chappell

• Members

Originally posted by quicksilver544

I notice that the non by-passed sound is colored by it, but I don't know if it's because of the emulated effect or not. I use it for maybe one or two effects at time and even with the eq off I hear a difference. On the other hand, it's been my experience that all effect pedals color the sound when in use.

I tried to create empty effect setting. I wanted to use just the expression pedal as the volume pedal, but the sound was colored. What I had to do to get uncolored sound was to turn on the equalizer and set everything to maximum I think (I don't have RP250 with me and it was several weeks ago). Could someone confirm that this is the correct way to get just A/D and D/A conversions with no effects inbetween?

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, i have contacted digitech support..
They have told me not to turn off amp modeler, but to set it to direct..
That should minimise the coloration..
I bought the unit..
I think of it as a expanded volume/whamy pedal with a tuner..and only for use like that, it justifies its price..and still, i use the delay and reverb..also mod effects..
Everything but its dist/amp models..cause i use mine Randall..
I still havent tested it to see EXACTLY how big coloration is, but i have tried it, and it was very very subtle..then agaim, almost every delay pedal (except true bypass-expensive ones) would give similar coloration..and it would be probably much greater if all these padals would be in use (whammy, delay, reverb, chorus..).so i think that it sounds pretty much ok for this..

Considering amp models and their distortion, i have tried them just for couriosity, and although i havent actually played all of these original amps, all distorted sounds sound like a crapp..really..terrible..(just for the record, i have tried it using return input of my ss amp..).i tried both, using output set to amp and mixer..it really sounds like hell..not in a good way! although i thout that i could use it for recording on my pc, just for recording some ideas, i think that it wont serve that purpose..

I am away now, so i will test it a bit more in a 2 days..

But, to summ all, i use it in effect loop, for effects delays and reverbs..volume pedal and whammy..and its doing really ok with that..!

• Members

I tried setting direct in the amp modelling section and it indeed seems to work. For me, the coloration is non-issue in this case. I didn't know that you shouldn't turn off the amp modelling so this is really valuable piece of info.

I am quite satisfied with reverbs, delays and modulation effects. As for the amp models and distortions (both amps and pedals), I found that they are extremely sensitive to the other components of sound chain (guitar, pickups and guitar amp/sound monitor). Some setups sound quite well at home to my headphones and they are terrible when used for loud live playing and vice versa.

I think RP250 is very cool for home playing, experimenting and practicing.

On the other hand I'm having some problems with RP250 when playing live. It is easy to accidentally hit bad pedal when using expression pedal or when trying to hit both pedals at once (to bypass the box). Also switching delay is quite large and limits use of RP250 in many cases. But I can't expect that everything will be perfect for a such compact sized and low priced unit.

• Members

I am really glad if i helped you..

Today i was playing a bit with it..using it in a non standard way..in front of the amp, and not in effect loop as i actually use it..I have found some useful sound for practice, but the problem is that most of the distortionds sound very very similar..and they have no mass at all..i will try to use my boss sd-1 in conjuction with its distortions, just for fun.to see if i can get some nicer dist..

Delays, reverbs and mods are also ok for me..it would be nicer that not all of the fx take the same effect, so that i could use chorus and some of the other effects, or something like that..but, still, its pretty much covering my needs..and i really like the whammy..really good sounding..stil, i have to find a apropriate moment in a song to use it..ips seems to work ok..although i think that it would be better if i reduce the level of the harmony, which is available through x edit..which i still haven't downloaded..

And a drum machine is really great for practice..lot more fun that simple metronome, which is also available..many nice rhytms..if patterns were programmable, that would be perfect..but i guess a touch too much for the price..

Considering the switching latency, i think its pretty ok..i dont mind it..

BUt, i think that it is absolutely impossible to use the bypass mode when needed..it is so hard to go to bypass when you want to, and so easy when you don't..and thats terrible..! so that i use a blank patch with amp to direct and cab to direct for that purpose..

These are just some random thoughts ..i will let you know what else comes to mi mind about this unit..!

• Members

I played arround with this little thing, and i am starting really to love it..although i still think that all distortions are pretty same, i have found nice tone with slight subtle delay.and it sounds awesome-even on mine Teisco amp from 1966:) with blown speaker..i am even thinking now that i can use it for some not so important gigs alone, just the rp250..without my Randall for distortion..the solo sound works its purpose nicely..and i still have to fiddle arround to find good rhytm tone for my 7 string..

and, just for record, i am using Ibanez rg7620 (w/dimarzios)..

when i set nice drum pattern, i simply cant stop playing!:)

• Members

Well, i have contacted digitech support..

They have told me not to turn off amp modeler, but to set it to direct..

That should minimise the coloration..

I bought the unit..

I think of it as a expanded volume/whamy pedal with a tuner..and only for use like that, it justifies its price..and still, i use the delay and reverb..also mod effects..

Everything but its dist/amp models..cause i use mine Randall..

I still havent tested it to see EXACTLY how big coloration is, but i have tried it, and it was very very subtle..then agaim, almost every delay pedal (except true bypass-expensive ones) would give similar coloration..and it would be probably much greater if all these padals would be in use (whammy, delay, reverb, chorus..).so i think that it sounds pretty much ok for this..

Considering amp models and their distortion, i have tried them just for couriosity, and although i havent actually played all of these original amps, all distorted sounds sound like a crapp..really..terrible..(just for the record, i have tried it using return input of my ss amp..).i tried both, using output set to amp and mixer..it really sounds like hell..not in a good way! although i thout that i could use it for recording on my pc, just for recording some ideas, i think that it wont serve that purpose..

I am away now, so i will test it a bit more in a 2 days..

But, to summ all, i use it in effect loop, for effects delays and reverbs..volume pedal and whammy..and its doing really ok with that..!

So is the Whammy effect easy to set and use? What about the modulation effects and reverb? I'm in the same boat. I have a XXX head and GB 2x12. I need plug and play.... easy onstage, at my feet tweaking. I bought an XTL with an interest in using just the effects live. Instead it's way more than what I need. I just want to use this for FX. If the Whammy is good (2 Octave) I'll ditch my Whammy and replace it with this.

• Members

Well, i have never used the real whammy..but, actually, i am not sure how much better it could be..but probably is..i dunno..but why would they sell it separatelly if not?

Considering the whammy efect on the rp250 it would be probably the best to read about it from the manual from digitech.com

But, in short, you have 2 modes with whammy:

1)Whammy (no dry signal)..

options in this mode are 1 octave above, 2 octaves above, a second below, a second below reversed pedal action, a fourth below, an octave below, 2 octaves below, dive bomb

2) Harmony bends (dry signal added)

minor 3rd to major 3rd, 2nd above to major 3rd above, a 3rd above to 4th above, a 4th to a 5th above, a 5th to an octave above, an octave above, octave down, octave up/down

You also can adjust interval and direction of teh pitch band, manual control of the pedal position, and adjust the mix level..

Considering the mods and reverbs, i like them, but for details, check the manual..

And, i am not sure what you ment buy saying tweakable on foot..?

XXX head, huh? WOW..! I wish i have something like that..!

• Members

Well, i have never used the real whammy..but, actually, i am not sure how much better it could be..but probably is..i dunno..but why would they sell it separatelly if not?

Considering the whammy efect on the rp250 it would be probably the best to read about it from the manual from digitech.com

But, in short, you have 2 modes with whammy:

1)Whammy (no dry signal)..

options in this mode are 1 octave above, 2 octaves above, a second below, a second below reversed pedal action, a fourth below, an octave below, 2 octaves below, dive bomb

2) Harmony bends (dry signal added)

minor 3rd to major 3rd, 2nd above to major 3rd above, a 3rd above to 4th above, a 4th to a 5th above, a 5th to an octave above, an octave above, octave down, octave up/down

You also can adjust interval and direction of teh pitch band, manual control of the pedal position, and adjust the mix level..

Considering the mods and reverbs, i like them, but for details, check the manual..

And, i am not sure what you ment buy saying tweakable on foot..?

XXX head, huh? WOW..! I wish i have something like that..!

I just meant with a few knob turns I would be able to tweak an effect in real time. Actually that really isn't so important. I really just want to be able to to edit, set, access a few effects presets easily with the amp models turned completely off. I want a small footprint. I want easy access to the Whammy Effect. This is for 100% live use.

• Members

i guess that it would be fine..but, if i were you, i would compared the real whamm, if you already have it, and rp250s whammy..

Also, the whammy effect requires to be in front of the preamp..when you use it in conjuction with the distortion from the processor, it says that it automaticly places whammy in the front, but i am not sure what is the situation when you use dist from the amp..cause, i guess, cause you asked about delays, that you want to use it in effects loop..?

Although, i remember i tryed rp250s whammy in the loop, while using the dist from Randalls preamp, and it sounded well..

I would try thist to tell you is it working, but my amps is not at my place till weekend..

Hope taht i helped you a bit

• Members

I just meant with a few knob turns I would be able to tweak an effect in real time. Actually that really isn't so important. I really just want to be able to to edit, set, access a few effects presets easily with the amp models turned completely off. I want a small footprint. I want easy access to the Whammy Effect. This is for 100% live use.

I actually have the RP350, which is a step up from the model this post is based on. I used to have a Whammy 2 when they first came out years ago and the Whammy model included here sounds every bit as good to my ears with the added benefit of storing multiple presets of the Whammy (the Whammy 2 only offered 2 memory slots). Actually, the bypass in this unit is a ton better than the bybass of the Whammy 2 which dramatically colored the guitar signal. All other effect can be bypassed (or set to direct in the case of the amp sims) to use the effects section only. However, you can not use the Whammy with another modulation effect. You can combine the Whammy with both the delay and reverb however.

As far as easy to program, that's very subjective. I feel the unit is extremely intuative but I've owned several different multi-fx units in the past. On the RP250, there are quite a few parameters which can not be accessed without a computer. With the RP350, it's not quite as bad.

Altering parameters in real time? Not an issue, just assign it to the expression pedal and go.

GC stocks them, however that is a poor test environment. With the low cost, I recommend getting one and trying it out with your rig. If you don't like it, take advantage of the 30 day money back guarantee.

• Members

Tried a 250. Bypass or amp models off (direct) still colored the amp. Seems processing was still on even when not active. My POD XTL does the same thing. I asked the sales guy and he said it's the processing of signals that cause the lack of "true" direct sound. I tried the 250 along side the new Foot POD. Same results.

• Members

Tried a 250. Bypass or amp models off (direct) still colored the amp. Seems processing was still on even when not active. My POD XTL does the same thing. I asked the sales guy and he said it's the processing of signals that cause the lack of "true" direct sound. I tried the 250 along side the new Foot POD. Same results.

The Digi units will color the signal slightly when engaged even when everything is turned off. However whenthe unit is actually bypassed, I believe most of the color you're hearing is the loading of cables. Try any true bypass pedal (Digitech manual claims a true analog bypass) and you'll hear what I'm talking about. If you're using it as effect only in the loop of an amp, the issue is easily remedied by bypassing the loop. Any effect you're using is coloring your guitar signal anyway.

If using it in front for Wah, Whammy, and stomps then you have to ask yourself whether the units benefits out weigh the slight coloration. Honestly, I think in this price range with the features offered I think worrying about slight signal coloration is a little nit picky.

• Members

My report is that I still can't get any sounds from my rp250 to the computer. I still like this device, but since I bought it for my practice room, I would like to be able to hear the great tones coming out of my speakers.

Any other suggestions?

For me, I connect the USB cable from the RP250 to the computer. It makes the Da-Donk sound that you've connected it to the computer and it shows up as an audio device. Go into the control panel (switch to classic view) and double-click "Sounds and Audio Devices". If you click on the Audio tab, you may notice that the RP250 is now both the Sound Playback device and the Sound Recording Device. This means all sound that your computer makes, will pipe down into the RP250 from now on. Make sure you're plugged into the headphone jack on the RP250. If I recall correctly, no sound comes out of the desktop speakers. To get the guitar sound to your desktop speakers, run a male-to-male stereo cable from the headphone jack of the RP250, to the blue Sound-In jack on your sound card.

It may be possible to do it through USB and adjusting the Audio Playback settings, but I'm not sure. I just thought it was really cool how my computer sound comes out through the RP250. Makes using Guitar Pro and the RP 250 together easy.

When recording on a program like Audacity, recording is easy. When the RP250 is set as the Sound Recording device, the only recording option shows up as "Microphone" and is selected by default in programs like this.

Unfortunately I don't think you can just digitally pipe the RP250 sound through the desktop speakers in Windows, because you only select one audio playback device at a time. You can't get the digital output of the RP250 into the sound card because you have to select the RP250 to get the sound in, and when you select it, it essentially turns off your sound card. Just do it analog style by going headphone out to Aux-in on the soundcard and you're in business.

• Members

To all owners,
I live in a old THIN walled duplex. Can I plug my guitar into the pedal and plug into the headphone jack and jam, with no-one to hear me.
This forum is awesome. I'm sorry if my questions are mondaine and stupid, but I have little funds and would like to find a FXs pedal that will please me and incorperate into my recording.

• Members

A couple of questions....hope I'm not repeating any....

1. What comes in the box?

2. Can you program the foot switches for your favorite settings? ie; Left pedal = preset 8, and right pedal = preset 22.

Thanks!

This unit looks to be just what I'm looking for.

• Members

I have tried it today using in front of an amp..it was actually a Marshall jcm800 half stack..

The dist actually sounded pretty much ok..but it was a rehearsal so i had no time to play with it and tweak its best... but i will try that in the near future for sure..

Now i am even more certain that i can use it alone for everything, dist and fx, for some not so important gigs, directly to the PA..so that i don't need to lug my amp..

• Members

gtar_bahr:
Yes you can plug in your guitar and use headphones with no amp:D i use this when mom and dad is sleeping
and

Sennin:
#1: the rp250 power supply and instructions NO USbCABLE!!! i found this out lol.
#2 no

Good luck
odo

• Members

gtar_bahr:

Yes you can plug in your guitar and use headphones with no amp:D i use this when mom and dad is sleeping

and

Sennin:

#1: the rp250 power supply and instructions NO USbCABLE!!! i found this out lol.

#2 no

Good luck

odo

Thanks!

• Members

Wow...
Lots of info here.....

Anyone tried the Bass man setting with a bass??

I am looking for a pedal mostly for guitar but I occasionally play bass and would like to have a pedal with a decent bass sound.....

If the Bass man setting worked OK I could set up a patch for my bass and lug only 1 box.....

Thanks...

Archived