DigiTech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor

Jon Chappell

• Members

I updated my rp250 and didn't have to factory reset.

However, I did it wrong; I updated the hardware before updating the USB drivers. It seemed to update the hardware fine; it exhibits 1.7 after recycling.

I then installed the USB drivers, and then X-edit 2.1.9.

Xedit would not recognize the device, so I disconnected the RP250, uninstalled the drivers, rebooted my computer, then ran the USB installer again. I recycled the RP250 again, and everything runs fine, with all my old presets still installed.

I'm not recommending this, mind you, YMMV, but everything seems to be working now as it is supposed to....

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by quicksilver544

Yes, a factory reset is required after performing the 1.7 upgrade. Hopefully you backed up your custom setting first, than all you have to do is restore them. Works straight away. It's in the instructions on how to perform the upgrade.

BTW, you a member of the RP250 forum on the Digitech site? Could always use some fresh blood over there -

No sir. Whenever I went over there I just got lost. The forum is very difficult to find and when you find it, it isn't very functional. I'm used to Invision/phpbb/vBulletin boards like this one. I wouldn't have anything to contribute anyway. I'm here mostly to lurk and learn as much as I can.

I didn't lose anything in the update. I don't know tone from a hole in the ground. :D

• Members

Yes, a factory reset is required after performing the 1.7 upgrade. Hopefully you backed up your custom setting first, than all you have to do is restore them. Works straight away. It's in the instructions on how to perform the upgrade.

Shoot, you're right, it's right there:

"Once the update is complete, you will then want to perform a Factory Reset. Note: a Factory Reset will erase all User presets."

But then... if you need to upgrade before you can run X-edit2, then how do you backup your settings before running the update?

• Members

Originally posted by Namco

After reading this thread, I decided to download X-edit, update my RP250, and play with the computer interface a bit. I was amazed at the number of controls this pedal has to offer. I spent an hour playing with the noisegate settings alone. I know you can do this with the dials of the RP250 directly, but it's hidden in the matrix and hard to figure out. With X-edit, every setting is right there looking at you and it's very easy to figure out the differences between all the presets.

Not only is it easier to edit on X-Edit, but there are parameters available in the editor that aren't accessible from the front panel, no matter how much you squint at that matrix.

Recording aside, if you're not using a computer and X-Edit with the RP250, you're missing out on editable parameters -- and aren't using the RP250 to its fullest potential.

• Members

Shoot, you're right, it's right there:

"Once the update is complete, you will then want to perform a Factory Reset. Note: a Factory Reset will erase all User presets."

But then... if you need to upgrade before you can run X-edit2, then how do you backup your settings before running the update?

There are backup & restore functions under the device tab in x-edit.

• Members

Originally posted by BuleriaChk

Does anyone know what was changed from firmware 1.6 to 1.7 and XEdit from 1.2 to 2.1?

From the RP250 forum -

The new version 1.7 corrects 3 issues:

1) Predelay parameter for Reverb was not being saved correctly.

2) Threshold for Swell Gate was not being saved correctly.

3) USB Record level parameter was not always being initialized correctly.

Even if you did a full backup or saved individual presets using the previous operating system and X-Edit these may not load back into the RP250 correctly depending upon the settings for Predelay and Swell Threshold as discussed above. That is why we are recommending that you notate your custom presets.

After you update the operating system a new preset table is generated that is necessary for fast preset changes.

• Members

No sir. Whenever I went over there I just got lost. The forum is very difficult to find and when you find it, it isn't very functional. I'm used to Invision/phpbb/vBulletin boards like this one. I wouldn't have anything to contribute anyway. I'm here mostly to lurk and learn as much as I can.

I didn't lose anything in the update. I don't know tone from a hole in the ground.
:D

Oh, but you will ;)

Not as lively as this forum but then again, nothing is!. Good place to pick up info, tips, patches, etc.

• Members

Wow there's some really great information in this thread. I have been thinking about getting an RP250 for quite awhile. I just have one other question.

I have just recently started playing around with the Propellerheads Reason 3.0 software. This was my first attempt at recording so I'm still learning. I got some guitar samples in just by using the mic in on my sound card to record a .wav from a really crappy mic. I can then import that .wav into reason, add drums, synth samples etc. As you can imagine the sound quality isn't quite there, but it works. Would I be able to get better results with this unit using the USB interface or would I need a midi controller as well? What I would really want to do is setup a drum sequence in Reason then play over it and have reason record the guitar part.

Thanks in Advance.

• Members

I stand corrected; I had the old presets, but there was actually no sound coming through until I did a factory reset. So back up any changes made before you do the upgrade.....

Sorry about that, my bad.....:-)

Chuck

From the RP250 forum -

The new version 1.7 corrects 3 issues:

1) Predelay parameter for Reverb was not being saved correctly.

2) Threshold for Swell Gate was not being saved correctly.

3) USB Record level parameter was not always being initialized correctly.

Even if you did a full backup or saved individual presets using the previous operating system and X-Edit these may not load back into the RP250 correctly depending upon the settings for Predelay and Swell Threshold as discussed above. That is why we are recommending that you notate your custom presets.

After you update the operating system a new preset table is generated that is necessary for fast preset changes.

• Members

Originally posted by gorno

When the RP is plugged in, some computers automatically set it as the default sound card. To change this after it is plugged in:

Go to "Control Panel".

Go to "Sounds and Audio Devices".

Select the "Audio" tab.

Under "Sound playback" select the soundcard you want to route the audio to as the default device.

Click OK.

This should route audio output to your soundcard and you should be able to hear the audio through your monitors.

Thank you for the assist there. I will try your suggestions this evening and get back to you.

• Members

On Thursday I hear the doorbell ring, I go look and I find a box on the porch addressed to me. Funny, I didn't order anything ... So I open the box and WOW! Look at this! Digitech sent me a RP carry bag! I'm checking out the carry bag and inside I find a cloth covered guitar cable, a set of D'addario XL's and some picks. Way cool!

The reason they sent this to me according to the accompanying letter is for being a loyal Digitech customer and because they used a photo I sent in of me holding my RP50 and Tone Driver. The photo was used in a national sale campaign a few months ago. I saw it in Guitar Player (August issue I believe). Even found myself amongst a few hundred others with their Digitech pedals. That was cool enough but they sent me a nice t-shirt for submitting the photo. That was cool too and I thought we were square but today's little gift pack just takes the cake. Couldn't have come at a better time either as I have been contemplating getting a new gig bag.

Oh, and they would also like me to step up to an RP350. Gave me a rebate coupon worth $25. Very, very tempting.

Also gave me another coupon for a $25 rebate for a friend (anyone want to be my 'friend') ;-)

• Members

Is that bypass of RP250 REALLY, i mean R E A L L Y a true bypass..?
Anyone tried it..?
I would use it in the effect loop of my Randall..for delays and modulation effects only..
BUT, its completely useles if it is eating my so hardly achieved tone!

Also, i am not sure in 2 more things:

1. i have tried an older rp200 in the effect loop of my amp..my signal from the amps distortion channel was loosing slight of its grease..and that was BAD..
So, tell me, even if the rp250 has a true bypass, i guess that using a "blank patch" (a patch with ALL effect off) would still cause the signal loss?
i woudl have to use "a blank patch" because of all the inconviniance of changing to the bypass..
2. when i tried any distorted patch from the Digitech rp200, also through the loop, the very loud hiss would appear..(in that situation, i was using my guitars signal, through clean channel of my amp, through send, to the input of the RP, then RP patch *lets say distorted WAH) then output of the RP to the return of the my amps effect loop..)
i generally wouldn't do this, but i was thinking of using a RP as a distortion source only in using a wah wah patches..since, to get a wah sound(a proper one) wah should be placed before the preamp, which is impossible, if digitech is in the effects loop..

Please answer me guys, it is REALLY important!
Thank You all...

• Members

Hello all
I've been researching the rp250 and I think I'm sold!
I do have a question for all you owners.
Right now I'm recording on my computer using Acid 4.0. I use several Boss pedals and run them through a beringer mixer and then to the mic input on the PC. I live in an older duplex with ungrounded 2 prong outlets. I'm not sure if it's the outlets or what but I'm getting a very loud hum when I use my pedals. If I cut my pedals out of the set-up there is no hum.
So anyway my question is if anyone has had this problem and if it continued to be a problem after using the rp250. I don't want to spend that much money and still have poor sound due to grounding issues.
PLEASE HELP!!

• Members

I had this problem with some boss pedals it ended up being the power supply I was using, check your cables (if your using a power supply), try using batteries in them. Also, it is probrobly that you’re connecting your mixer through your mic port. I got hum from my boss pedals. I sold them and bought some digitech single pedals and had no hum. Also you can record through the RP 250 via USB cable (NOT INCLUNDED), but you can buy one. I get no hum from mine. Also, the RP 250 uses a 3 prong power supply.

Good luck
odo
:D

• Members

Can anyone, please, give me any input?
I know that in the manual it says that it has a true analogue bypass, but what about the sound that goes through it to be processed..?
For example, if i add a delay, will it actually sound like my original sound, just with added delay, or it will be different?

• Members

Originally posted by meda peja

Can anyone, please, give me any input?

I know that in the manual it says that it has a true analogue bypass, but what about the sound that goes through it to be processed..?

For example, if i add a delay, will it actually sound like my original sound, just with added delay, or it will be different?

I notice that the non by-passed sound is colored by it, but I don't know if it's because of the emulated effect or not. I use it for maybe one or two effects at time and even with the eq off I hear a difference. On the other hand, it's been my experience that all effect pedals color the sound when in use.

• Members

Is that bypass of RP250 REALLY, i mean R E A L L Y a true bypass..?

Anyone tried it..?

I would use it in the effect loop of my Randall..for delays and modulation effects only..

BUT, its completely useles if it is eating my so hardly achieved tone!

Also, i am not sure in 2 more things:

1. i have tried an older rp200 in the effect loop of my amp..my signal from the amps distortion channel was loosing slight of its grease..and that was BAD..

So, tell me, even if the rp250 has a true bypass, i guess that using a "blank patch" (a patch with ALL effect off) would still cause the signal loss?

i woudl have to use "a blank patch" because of all the inconviniance of changing to the bypass..

2. when i tried any distorted patch from the Digitech rp200, also through the loop, the very loud hiss would appear..(in that situation, i was using my guitars signal, through clean channel of my amp, through send, to the input of the RP, then RP patch *lets say distorted WAH) then output of the RP to the return of the my amps effect loop..)

i generally wouldn't do this, but i was thinking of using a RP as a distortion source only in using a wah wah patches..since, to get a wah sound(a proper one) wah should be placed before the preamp, which is impossible, if digitech is in the effects loop..

Please answer me guys, it is REALLY important!

Thank You all...

Did you try using the noise suppressor on your RP200 to elemintate the hiss? I used it with my RP50 but I must say, the noise suppressor on my RP250 works much better. As far as output signal is concerend there are several way to increase or decrease the output signal level.

I've also used my RP250 in the effects loop of my amp but I didn't notice any issue with getting a proper WAH sound so this may not be an issue for you either. Give it a try :thu:

• Members

The Bypass is what it is a bypass (its like the 250 is not there) but you also cannot add a sound in bypass if you want a delay or something tweek your settings via a pc when playing with my friends i use my laptop to edit on the spot.
Good luck
odo

• Members

My report is that I still can't get any sounds from my rp250 to the computer. I still like this device, but since I bought it for my practice room, I would like to be able to hear the great tones coming out of my speakers.

Any other suggestions?

• Members

1. So, tell me, even if the rp250 has a true bypass, i guess that using a "blank patch" (a patch with ALL effect off) would still cause the signal loss?

If I were you, I would bypass the loop when not in use. The cables alone to run out to front of the stage and back to the loop (likely 40 feet in cables) might slightly alter your signal. There is a huge difference between signal loss and coloration of signal. The output level can be adjusted to meet the signal level you desire when the unit is not in bypass mode. Signal loss is not an issue. When used in front of an amp, the load of the cables used will slightly darken your tone but this happens with pretty much all effects when using a long cable run (actually is more apparent in a true bypass situation). You loop should be sending a line level signal which is less subject to cable load. You may just have to take a listen for yourself ans see if it works for you...

2. when i tried any distorted patch from the Digitech rp200, also through the loop, the very loud hiss would appear..(in that situation, i was using my guitars signal, through clean channel of my amp, through send, to the input of the RP, then RP patch *lets say distorted WAH) then output of the RP to the return of the my amps effect loop..)...

This is not the way the unit is intended to work. You're basically adding a clean boost (your amps clean channel) into the another preamp. You would likely get the same loud hiss with any overdrive/distortion set to high gain and placed in the loop.

• Members

Thank You for all input very much..I was thinkinig too that i am wrongly usind effects loop, when i tried to use distorted wah from rp200 from the loop..

Still, my main consideration is, HOW COLOURED/CHANGED I S THE SOUND WHEN ITS PROCESSED THROUGH RP250? (lets say added delay, since i am mostly oing to use it for that)
How noticable is that, in what way (volume, less drive, muddier, bassier, treblier..?)

Please, can any of You rp250 owners help me with this?
THANK YOU !!!

• Members

Originally posted by chiro972

My report is that I still can't get any sounds from my rp250 to the computer. I still like this device, but since I bought it for my practice room, I would like to be able to hear the great tones coming out of my speakers.

Any other suggestions?

Windows will typically default your soundcard to a USB or firwire sound device when it's plugged in. If you want to hear audio from your PC follow follow this path: Control Panel>Sound and Audio Devices and select the "Audio" tab. Under Sound playback Default device select your computers stock sound card.

It's much easier if you're using a DAW however as routing between the 2 devices will be simplified to assigning inputs and outputs per track.

On a side note, there is significant latency when monitoring via USB so you'll likely be fairly dissapointed if that is your main goal with the unit. You can eliminate the latency by either monitoring from your RP or running the line or headphone out into your soundcard's line in.

Archived