New Tune - First One For About 8 Months

Mark L

• Members

Great song and production !

I'm wondering if you still can relate to the lyrics though.

If you wrote this in the 80's then I guess you must be in your 80's now. smiley-wink

Any chance we could hear the tape hiss version to compare it with?

• Moderators

Sounds cool. I'd drop the Who/Kinks guitars (and bass) in the last verse and maybe replace them with some Mott high octave piano pounding and a Chuck Berry double stop rock lick blasting and pedaling one chord right through the changes... then back into C3 BAM!

If it were up to me but it isn't :)

Cool tune

• Members

Sounds OK.

Reminds me of The Who tune, Teenage Wasteland with a touch of Bowie thrown in.

Well spotted, mate. The original first line was 'Out walking in the fields', as a kind of tip of the hat to Baba O'Riley

• Members

Sounds cool. I'd drop the Who/Kinks guitars (and bass) in the last verse and maybe replace them with some Mott high octave piano pounding and a Chuck Berry double stop rock lick blasting and pedaling one chord right through the changes... then back into C3 BAM!

If it were up to me but it isn't :)

Cool tune

I can see what you mean about the last verse. But I'm no piano-player and certainly no Chuck Berry! very-happy.png.197c47f720636f02390cc2b0a33804da.png' alt='smiley-veryhappy'>

And anyway, once I've finished a song I almost never return to it. So what's done is done

• Members

Well spotted, mate. The original first line was 'Out walking in the fields', as a kind of tip of the hat to Baba O'Riley

Actually when I review a tune I don't even hear the actual lyrics. I hear them more like and instrument subliminally

and hear the voice technique, diction, melody etc being used. I suppose the three chords and the tone of those chords had that 70's

Mot The Hoople, Rebel, Rebel, Who tone to it that gave me that retro feel.

I have this happen with my own music on occasion. My last tune I just did took me a month to realize the bridge

had a Gin Blossom type kick to it. Not quite but I could make it out having that kind of flavor. Luckily non of the chord

changes were taken from their songs or anything obvious like that. It was just how the bass, drums and chords kicked

with the steady cadence, 13 syllable per line of lyrics I was using.

It wasn't intentional, it just worked out that way. I don't even listen to other peoples music any more haven't even listened

to that band in a good 6 years or more.

It just goes to show we as musicians are made up of bits and pieces of all the music we've studied throughout our lives,

and when you write music you may not know where a small piece comes from. You just know its worked.

I have allot of music that's written which is unique to my own sound which I've refined hundreds and hundreds of times over.

I may take a piece of one of my songs and reuse it in a newer song if it works in naturally and don't think twice about doing it

when it just happens.

My buddies get a kick out of it because we recorded originals for 15 years together. They'd be listening to one of my songs and

I'd weave in a bridge, lead or something in there they'd get a kick out of it because they knew those songs.

I'll reuse my old lyrics which I have written up in a really big book as well. I may have a chord structure completed, and have a melody

in my mind and just find a page of lyrics that fits the cadence and feel of the song and use them as scratch lyrics to get something recorded.

I plow through the words focusing on the emotion and melody till I have something I can remember. Then its an easy matter writing good

lyrics for the tune because I have a clear mental picture of the melody, bridges, chorus etc.

I hear the vocals dimly without fixed words and over a week or so, words and a theme begin to fill in and then I can just whip them out in

minutes, often times writing them on the spot as I record.

• Members

Actually when I review a tune I don't even hear the actual lyrics. I hear them more like and instrument subliminally

and hear the voice technique, diction, melody etc being used.

Me too.

Sometimes I'll hear a song that I've heard a thousand times and I'll realize I never really knew what the lyrics were about.

Also I'm much more likely to notice when a song has really bad lyrics than good ones.

It just goes to show we as musicians are made up of bits and pieces of all the music we've studied throughout our lives,

and when you write music you may not know where a small piece comes from. You just know its worked.

Yeah I've written songs where it might take years or even decades later for it to dawn on me where it came from.

It might be the style of a riff or a partial chord sequence. They are never exactly the same but I can hear the influences.

I have allot of music that's written which is unique to my own sound which I've refined hundreds and hundreds of times over.

I may take a piece of one of my songs and reuse it in a newer song if it works in naturally and don't think twice about doing it

when it just happens.

Oh yeah I'm always combining bits and pieces of music that I've written. I've written tons of stuff that I couldn't develop any further that I've cataloged away.

Sometimes I might be working on something new and think that little piece I wrote two years ago might make a good bridge. Sometimes it won't work but sometimes it's "Viola'" It fits perfectly.

I had a teacher in college who used to compose for hire. I once asked him if he worked this way. He told me that he would never do that. Anything he composed had to be composed for the project at hand. I didn't understand his point then and I still don't get it twenty five years later.

• Members

That's a great li'l record, Marky. Damn if it doesn't sound like a Badfinger or Raspberries classic, the lyrics are Davies/Kinks-like... Sounds fine, matey. At some point you are going to want some "colored girls" to sweeten a tune like this.

Are they the ones that go 'Do do do do-do-do do do do do-do-do'?

Archived