No announcement yet.

did you like VEGAS audio? this rocks!

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems stable so far.

The envelope editing is on top of the peak file like CEP, which is cool, but it's the Cubase channel-automation paradigm.

I was hoping it had a loop/cycle recording method I wanted, but it also works like Cubase... the developer seems active on his message board and open to suggestions, which is a good sign... If he makes the cycle-recording feature work the way I want (each take pops out as a separate, ready to go file/track, ready for envelope editing) it'll be the greatest thing since the Fostex X-15 IMO...

Some scary looking screen redraws at times, but it seems to snap back solidly.

Some settings are in weird places IMO, but I suppose that'll get straightened out...
    ]] message board @ www.chipmcdonald.com [[
    "big assed windbag" - Bruce Swedien
    "People are not only strange, but stranger than you can imagine" - Jim C. Morrison-Clarke

Comment

Did you notice the link to ASIO4ALL

http://www.asio4all.com/

I installed it and it now gives me 5.1msec latency in and out of my AC7 standard laptop sound card. Cool!!!! - it was unplayable before.

make that 2.9msec

cheers
      john
      Recording Studio Design Forum
      Design Site

Comment

Cool, I noticed that when I showed my VST folder that stupid me didn't uninstall my Dx versions of the older UAD card pluggins, they don't work with the latest drivers. SO when it went through looking at them it crashed the program a couple of times. But once it scanned them it's fine.
        Ya a cool little program that works simple and allows to get some work done instead of the "hmmm I wonder what this does" issue I have.
        Thanks
        Bri
        http://www.reverbnation.com/brianreynolds

Guitars
        Fender Tele
        Ibanez RG 770
        Fender Strat
        Martin DX
        Baldwin 12

Rig
        Marshall JVM 215c
        AxeFX II
        Mac Pro 2008
        Logic
        Fx's x'1000
        Audio Intruments x's 1000
        Roland TD 8

Smile if your not wearing panties

Comment

I'm liking this more and more...

Since there's no ducmentation uin the current version, perhaps we could record some informally in this thread?

One thing I can't figure out is how to mark a portion of an audio clip. The default left click action on a clip is "drag." Maybe you just use split clips?

Comment

there's some here:

http://www.documentwrite.com/reaper/index.html

and here:

http://www.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/Reaper_Documentation
            d. gauss

http://www.betteroffdead.com

Comment

Awesome. Don't know how I missed that on the site.

Originally posted by d. gauss
              there's some here:

http://www.documentwrite.com/reaper/index.html

and here:

http://www.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/Reaper_Documentation

Comment

<<I installed it and it now gives me 5.1msec latency in and out of my AC7 standard laptop sound card. Cool!!!!>>

Thanks for the GREAT tip! I have a laptop with an AC97 and I'm going to go download ASIO4ALL right now.
                There are now 14 music videos posted on my YouTube channel, including four songs by Mark Longworth. Watch the music video playlist, subscribe, and spread the links! Check back often, because there's more to come...

Comment

jeez, this guy justin is great. puts out a program update in less than 24 hours from when a feature was requested.

i'm an audio guy (not midi) and so far this thing has been great fun and easy as hell.
                  d. gauss

Comment

Unreal.

A day ago I made a bunch of suggestions - including one that makes cycle/loop recording as seamless as it can be...

And today there they are in the installer.

The 1 meg installer, I might add.

Because of these changes, it's now got essentially the features I like in Cool Edit combined with Cubase, without the obfuscated Cubase procedures...

Justin rules.
                    "People are not only strange, but stranger than you can imagine" - Jim C. Morrison-Clarke

Comment

And meanwhile, I've been tracking with it all day. It has been stable. I did crash it once with a hung MIDI note. It doesn't seem to have an all "all notes off" panic button, does it?

To be fair, this was SampleTank 2, which has given me problems in Sonar too. I used SampleTank in Reaper for a good while and only had the one incident

I probably wouldn't buy it until it was supporting host tempo sync stuff, though. Then I wouldn't hesitate.

I haven't witnessed this level of freeware generosity since Crystal (speaking of good reasons to support tempo sync...)

Comment

it seems the programmer (justin) is the guy who invented winamp...

been rockin on this for 3 days now. sooo easy to use. nice n simple interface, more like a tape deck.
                        d. gauss

Comment

Originally posted by d. gauss
                          it seems the programmer (justin) is the guy who invented winamp...

I figured that with his llama picture.

Must also have something to do with Sonic Foundry?

sooo easy to use. nice n simple interface, more like a tape deck.

I really hope he sticks with the "check things out with users first" ideaology, the simple interface has completely won me over and has been my major complaint with all of the existing DAWS forever...

As it is now, it's the most seamless way to do things, with the way I work.

THERE IS A LOT TO BE SAID

for having a humble philosophy regarding a UI. While all other DAWS to me feel like they're kowtowing to some sort of inflexible overriding operating guideline philosophy, REAPER just does what I need it to do. It's like all the other DAWS have a "Microsoft-programmed-by-committee" vibe, and REAPER has a "features most users want, not much more" vibe. I get the feeling that at a lot of companies, there's a couple of guys at the top who are saying "nope, we shouldn't do it that way, that's dumb" even though a clamoring horde of people *want* it to be that way.

SOMETHING ELSE about it:

when you shut it down, "POOF" - it goes away. Instantly.

Starts up fast, too.

Amazing. It's like DOS software programmed back in the nascent 8086 days, when things were written on a very low-level and tight/small mattered. I don't know how he's doing it, I don't know how many is on his team, but as long as it keeps getting better (he's updating faster than I can install!) I'm sold.

Comment

Ahh my friends, long time no smell!

Lee Flier I am overjoyed to see you giving reaper a look

I have been busy working on Justin whos been working on reaper, so thats part of my absence anyhow

If the app ROCKS praise justin, if it sucks, blame me for taking his valuable time up

but nevermind

it ROCKS!!!

It is the editing uber chopper of vegas and so much more, an unreal developer who codes according so much of the time to what the users want (or at least so he makes it appear)

routing is basically a patchbay with gain and pan...finally!
                            REAPER - Shirts and Stuff

REAPER Chat - Realtime REAPER Help

Comment

I must be dense. I can't figure out how to do anything with effects. There's something about effects in one of those doc files that someone mentioned in this thread, but I can't seem to get anywhere with it.

Actually, all I really want to do is invert a track so I can do an M-S mix. I see that there are some effects bundled with the program, but I can't seem to access any of them by clicking the FX button on the track, and I don't even know if "Invert" is possible within the program.

I was hoping this would be a simple and not overblown recording program that I could use on my underpowered laptop. Looks like there's potential, and I can always import the WAV files into another program, but I was just hoping I could simplify my life. Kind of hard to do when a computer is involved, though.
                              --
                              "Today's production equipment is IT-based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson, Resolution Magazine, October 2006
                              Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

Comment

Hi Mike. To invert phase, simply right click an event, or right click on a highlighted event while others are also highlighted to invert all selected at once, then chose Item Settings/Invert Phase

The Jesusonic FX Ultility/Chanmix 2 will give you some panning and phasing options for a stereo event as well

An M/S plug was discussed, I'll look into it for you, but I have been just using the chanmix to do it, while sending all three tracks S, S- and M to a folder track. Gives me one fader to control the whole deal

Unlike many apps you will also find an individual invert phase switch for each parallel aux send as well

REAPER - Shirts and Stuff

REAPER Chat - Realtime REAPER Help

Comment

Working...
                                X