Silverchair and how much better they are than most "modern" groups

• Moderators

How easy is it now-a-days to size up a group and what they have to offer. Have you heard so and so? So you check it out at their website, listen to a tune or two, and sadly... you've got a pretty good idea what they are. Because there is a tendency to do one thing as a modern group. This is us, this is what we like, this is all we're capable of, etc. Or... they've jumped on a big fat bandwagon and you already know where the music's going before it does.

But this new Silverchair album is GOOD. It was recommended over at Gearslutz. You can stream the whole album like a radio station for free. Stream it in the background as you work... I am. I recommmend you do because it's good. It evolves. It has melodic arc. Nice guitar textures, nice dramatic rock voice yet unique. Nice complimenting keys, real string arrangments... I like.

http://chairpage.com./

• Members

It's funny--the first time I remember seeing them on TV a long time ago, they were just teenagers complaining about how everyone compares them to Nirvana...kind of a copycat group. They aren't really my thing, but it does seem as if they've gone on to make some worthwhile music. Guess you never can predict the potential of any band...many can surprise you if they manage to stick around long enough. Unfortunately, not many bands last very long nowadays.

Hanson was another young group, that went on to become really substantial artists and songwriters, but unfortunately, most everyone still thinks of them as the "MMMBop" kids.

That's just the way it is in this business.

• Members

for something heavy, i would rather listen to Clutch's new album. no matter how many times rock groups try it, strings and rock dont mix.

if im looking for aussie origniated music, nick cave probably blows sliverchairs textures and melodies back to preschool.

• Moderators

the first time I remember seeing them on TV a long time ago, they were just teenagers complaining about how everyone compares them to Nirvana...kind of a copycat group. They aren't really my thing, kurdy

That's exactly how I rermember them a well.

don't forget the contribution of the producer Nick Launay John Sayer

Good point John. A great job from Launay on this one.

nick cave probably blows sliverchairs textures and melodies back to preschool. alphajerk

Not quite how I'd put it but ok. Yeah, Nick Cave is tremendous, but I'm not quantifying Aussie groups, I'm pointing out that for a relatively young group still, there are very good, and don't fall prey to the "modern rock desease". This album's getting better the more I listen.

• Moderators

no matter how many times rock groups try it, strings and rock dont mix.

Don't tell Marc Bolan, Bowie, Jeff Lynne and whoever else that. They might realize what a horrible mistake they've made and remix. Are you perhaps making a lot of presumptions without listening? Maybe? :confused:

Brian Wilson, Harry Nilsson, who else? Van Dyke Parks has made a lot of rock bands soar.

• Members

Wow I thought they broke up.

Diorama was an AMAZING album. These tracks are really odd...sounds like they've been listening to a lot of Beatles and dance music. I guess once you make an album like Diorama you have to do something different.

First listen says I don't really like it, but oftentimes those grow on me. But I hate albums that sound so disparate and disconnected; I enjoy albums that are flowing and contiguous works.

And I really wanted Silverchair to become a heavy version of Jeff Buckley...

• Members

Don't tell Marc Bolan, Bowie, Jeff Lynne and whoever else that. They might realize what a horrible mistake they've made and remix. Are you perhaps making a lot of presumptions without listening? Maybe?
:confused:

Brian Wilson, Harry Nilsson, who else? Van Dyke Parks has made a lot of rock bands soar.

nope, still stand by that... although i wouldnt call bowie ROCK.

• Members

nope, still stand by that... although i wouldnt call bowie ROCK.

I'm guessing you're one of those crazy critics that classify music with ridiculous names like "post-rock-industrial-burlesque-core" or "rainforest-rock-acidic-fusion" rather than just accepting the fact that the term "rock" covers so many different bands that sound nothing alike. To me, thats why I love rock. I'm with fretwizz, what's your definition of rock? Even better, how would you classify Bowie?

Back on topic. I really do dig the new Silverchair album. They are definately trying to push some boundaries, like I believe they did with Diorama. I just wish a few more modern bands would also try and stretch things a bit more. I definatley agree with Jarick mentioning the Beatles and dance music. In an interview I saw, Daniel Johns didn't stop talking about the Beatles and bands such as The Presets.

• Members

no matter how many times rock groups try it, strings and rock dont mix.

For the most part, I agree. Kind of like adding filete mingon to catsup and melted cheese, although there are rare instances where it works. The big problem is Rock compositions aren't written that kind of structure and the strings are usually "added", and most rock songs aren't written with that kind of voicing to begin with so there's alway's the feeling of it being "shoe horned" in to different degree's.

if im looking for aussie origniated music, nick cave probably blows sliverchairs textures and melodies back to preschool.

Ditto, but I woudln't compare the 2.

• Members

For the most part, I agree. Kind of like adding filete mingon to catsup and melted cheese, although there are rare instances where it works. The big problem is Rock compositions aren't written that kind of structure and the strings are usually "added", and most rock songs aren't written with that kind of voicing to begin with so there's alway's the feeling of it being "shoe horned" in to different degree's.

Ditto, but I woudln't compare the 2.

thats funny, because i have had filet burgers... you would THINK it would taste incredible, but it just doesnt taste anywhere near as good as 80% ground round, hell, even 90% ground round doesnt taste as good.... mmmm FAT [good thing a good bit drips off into the grill]

yeah, i have just been stuck on nick cave the past couple weeks. i cant [never could] take silverchair seriously after hearing their first two albums. i would hope they have gotten better in age [and still suprised they are together]... its almost as if they are some bizarre charactiture of themselves.

• Moderators

Well alphajerk,

I included a link http://chairpage.com./ that might keep you from guessing about this. It's pretty simple. Click on it and hate it... or like it. Or whatever. But to slam or compare or even try and discuss with comments to the quality, without hearing it. Well, I just find that kind of premature.

BTW, I love Nick Cave too. So they're both human, or Austrailian, led by conjoined twins or whatever (Brothers of the Head is a cool movie by the way). So what.

Listen.

• Members

lol, maybe...

i checke the link and while not what i expected, its not very good either. its very cliche. the piet mondrian theme they have going is weird... ever listen to olivia tremor control? thinking back upon OLD silverchair this is NOTHING like it... and my nick cave ref seems even closer now. and yeah, he BLOWS them apart.

i think he need to eat some meat.

• Members

{censored}, i cant even listen to this [im pretty open minded, but this is trite]... im skipping through almost all of it. and im in the "right" mode to tune in. turn on, and turn out to it. this is such an egotistical ploy by the main guy [daniel]... check out superhorse sometime. mark kills this guy.

• Members

If you really want something different from Australia you must see the Kransky Sisters.

hahahahaha:thu:

They're hilarious!

How the hell did they come up with that act?

They're like Noel Crombies crazy cousins or something.

Archived