Ha!! Top THIS "edit"!!!! :)

• Members

As some of you know, I've been editing The Tibet Connection, a monthly radio show about Tibet. There's features, news, music, and interviews.

So for whatever reason, one interviewer, a Tibetan man in his 40s or early 50s, somehow cut off his own question. By this I mean that the first part of his question was missing when he submitted it to me. He told the show's producer about this, and she in turn asked if there were any way I could fix this. "It sounds terrible," she said. "It really sounds like a mistake. Is there anything you can do?"

I listened. Sure enough, the first part of the question was missing. I listened a few times to his cigarette-raspy inflection, his Tibetan accent, placement from the microphone, EQ, etc., and recorded myself mimicing him - raspy Tibetan chain smoker voice and all - and edited the thing in, then EQ'd it to match the rest of the audio.

I played my edit for two people separately - my girlfriend and the show's producer - and neither one of them could tell *where* the edit was, much less that it was edited at all. The producer, very happy, gave it a thumbs up.

Now....do they teach *this* in those expensive Pro Tools Operator classes? :D

• Members

I'm not sure if I heard the right section -- but I didn't hear anything that hit me funny so it must have been good, since I was looking for it.

I once had a radio client doing a piece for German public radio on American police officers and their supposed love for donuts (she found it to be largely true in the mid 90s) who asked me to "punch in" the word "donut" into Solomon Burke's "When a man loves a woman..." (Of course, I had to just mask the track with my own voice, I did some spot EQ and level ducking.) It went over pretty well if I do say so... but that was just one word with music around it, nothing like sticking your voice, bare, right up against the target... pretty tough gig, seems to me.

Maybe you could get some looping work, Ken...

Can you do any of the Baldwins?

• Members

I'm not sure if I heard the right section -- but I didn't hear anything that hit me funny so it must have been good, since I was looking for it.

I once had a radio client doing a piece for German public radio on American police officers and their supposed love for donuts (she found it to be largely true in the mid 90s) who asked me to "punch in" the word "donut" into Solomon Burke's "When a man loves a woman..." (Of course, I had to just mask the track with my own voice, I did some spot EQ and level ducking.) It went over pretty well if I do say so... but that was just
one
word with music around it, nothing like sticking your voice, bare, right up against the target... pretty tough gig, seems to me.

Maybe you could get some looping work, Ken...

Can you do any of the Baldwins?

I think I did about four or five words. The funny thing is that I didn't even know what the first part of the question was...I just said something that appeared to make sense.

But your edit sounds really funny! You could have done that in a Homer Simpson voice!

I've done that before also, taking out a bad word in a rap song for lip-sync performance at my girlfriend's school. I didn't even come close to making this edit sound convincing, I don't think, but I did cover some of the music as well but swiping a beat from somewhere else and putting it under my voice so it wouldn't be quite as disruptive.

• CMS Author

There was a lot of that sort of thing going on in the dayes of olde multitracking when now and then (by accident or machine failure) a portion of a track, often a vocal, got erased. The singer was gone from the studio, so someone else filled in and replaced the missing part of the track.

My trickiest editing job was to shorten a too-long jew's harp solo. It's tricky to find an edit point (this was on tape) when it sounds like one continuous buzz.

• Members

lets hear it!

I'm not sure where it exactly is on the April 27th show (right now, look for the pointing, blinking arrow on the front page - later on, it'll be on the "Past Programs" page). It's on the latest show, here: http://www.thetibetconnection.org/ and is relatively close to the beginning, shortly after the Newsdesk, probably at a guess somewhere around 7-8 minutes in, where Pema Dhondrup is doing phone interviews - and I think the question he asks is something about Westerners and something about their perception of something (my voice is the first 4-5 words of that question)...but I currently don't know exactly where the edit is. I know that at the time I was editing Pema's stuff, which is about 6-7 minutes long, it was around 4:43 in, but now, we have the intro and newsdesk, which is almost three minutes long, so if I do the math, it's about 7:38 into the entire show or somewhere around there. I'm sure you'll hear it because I think if you're actually listening for it, you'll probably hear it!!! You know how that goes!!

I'll probably know when I break the show into segments, which I'm going to do right after I finish this post!!! :D The past programs are split into programs, and Pema's show is going to be split into something that's most likely going to be entitled something like "Semantics: Independence vs. Autonomy for Tibet", which will appear on the web site on Sunday (most likely).

Archived