GREAT session last night

• Members

Bassist/Stickist was away on business; the three of us hadn't gotten together as a unit for 4 weeks. The guitarist came over once, and we went over a few things... but aside from that, nothing.

So last night we finally had our usual Wednesday evening session. Normally we cover some RealBook stuff and jazz improv for the first hour or so, then we rock on Rush, Trower etc for the remainder of the session.

But last night, one of those magic things happened. We all just easily fell into a new thing, a little progression on Stick. Melodies started flying, themes & variations would come along and depart and re-appear, different grooves would ebb and flow... that went on for 40 minutes! And it all WORKED. When that had finally finished, I introduced as a new piece a little guitar phrase that had come to me just a few minutes prior to them coming over. Again the spontaneous flow of ideas and themes and variations and grooves just happened; another half hour went by in what seemed like seconds. Then a quick One Note Samba, and a 5 minute break....

When we returned it happened again, on a slap groove originated on bass. The music just seemed to take us where it wanted to go, and we all seemed to go to the same place together without having to talk about it. We closed with Led Boots. It was an incredibly satisfying, gratifying session. No doubt when I listen back I'll hear all the errors, but I'm also sure there will be a few moments that sound good and I know there's plenty of fodder there for future composition.

:)

• Members

You collectively tapped into the creative ether.

Its called magic.

Thats the best natural high Im aware of.

Enjoy the afterglow.

It will be interesting to see if your assessment changes much after listening to the recording. Sometimes our reaction is all to do with our mood/where our head is at at the particular moment.

Cheers,

• Members

Fortunately for my own sanity, I'm able to differentiate between the perspectives of player and listener - AND between quality experience and quality listening material. So I'll be able to enjoy having had that session, even as I pick apart and criticize my playing.

It will be interesting to see if your assessment changes much after listening to the recording. Sometimes our reaction is all to do with our mood/where our head is at at the particular moment.

Cheers,

• Members

Yeah... it's one of the main reasons most of us keep coming back to playing with OP, I think, through all the hassles and crap.

You haven't heard the transcription yet, of course, but my guess is, aside from the expected rough or slack spots, it will probably rise pretty close to your memories of the moments.

Of course, there's always the subjective aspect -- you had a great time and that will rub off, too. But, with a receptive audience (3DW, realtime or listening in the future) I think that stuff tends to communicate, anyhow.

• Members

There is no place like The Zone. Glad to hear you had a good session. I went to the studio after I got off work and played some drums. I was dead tired, but once I got in the flow I was working some cool variations.

And playing drums by yourself is like clapping with one hand. I play much better when I'm backing up one of my buds. But, last night I got my groove on for a while.

I've always been a thrashing/blasting type drummer, but all the funk/James Brown has been rubbing off. That and the asst soul/jazz stuff.

Oh yeah, I just got a set of drums a couple weeks ago. I was without drums for almost a year! :eek: (Don't sell your drums to your studio partner....he might bail after a couple months and take the drums with him.) No big loss, as the set I have now blows away the set I had.

I had a Yamaha set that was ok, but wasn't anything to write home about. I am now grooving on a set of DDrums. And they sound great. The only stuff I kept from my previous set was some accent cymbals (some splashes)...all of which are the bronze variety. My new hats and ride are of the brass variety and the whole mess seems to be a good mix of tones. These hats and ride sound so much better than what I had.

So, I'm still trying to get back in the flow. But, last night I was in there.

• Members

Bassist/Stickist.....So last night we finally had our usual Wednesday evening session. Normally we cover some RealBook stuff and jazz improv for the first hour or so, then we rock on Rush, Trower etc for the remainder of the session.

But last night, one of those
magic
things happened.....
:)

This SO GREAT to hear, pure musical creativity- Bravo. It feels great to hear about real "in the moment" music versus gear, technique, approaches.... Good for you!!

Archived