Mr. Anderton: your favourite metronome/click sound?

• Members

Well I hope this doesn't disappoint you, but I try to get a real rhythm section going as soon as possible. If I need to, I'll just program a kick and hi-hat pattern as a metronome to hold me other until I get the "real" track done.

I only use a metronome at the very beginning of creating a tune, and even then, I just use whatever the program offers for as long as I need to, and then I move on to a better rhythmic reference.

IMHO music isn't about playing to a click; it's about playing to a part.

Great question!!

• Members

my 2 cents - - I generally try to follow the clock in my head.

Once in a while, a metronome setup is handy. I like using samples - for 4/4 time, I'll set the metronome to 2/4, then use a kick on 1, snare on 2.

• Members

I don't have a drum machine anymore, but when I did, I frequently liked to use a shaker. It felt a little more "organic" and had a slightly looser feel, and I noticed that many people seemed to respond more favorably to a shaker than a "CLICK. CLICK. CLICK." I'd use this if we were going to loop or something like that, otherwise, I just used it to determine the tempo, and would turn it down once the rhythm section got going.

• Members

Sometimes if I'm not sure how a syncopation should go, I'll start out with a very skeletal click/metronome, typically using a drum sidestick or possibly woodblock.

But, like others, I'm more likely to shop for beats and then work backwards from something that more or less fits the bill. (I used MIDI beats almost exclusively, as opposed to loops, so I often heavily tinker whatever I start out with.)

• Members

does anybody still use mechanical metronomes? (well, anyone around "these parts".) just wondering.

Oh yeah. I had a mean ol' piano teacher lady who made me work with one of those old wooden wind-up metronomes.

In my DAW I like to use 1 sidestick followed by 3 fingersnaps!

• Members

Well I hope this doesn't disappoint you, but I try to get a real rhythm section going as soon as possible. If I need to, I'll just program a kick and hi-hat pattern as a metronome to hold me other until I get the "real" track done.

What about tracks that are not going to have a real rhythm part?

Let's say for example an ambient piece. Or a ballad.

What would you find useful as a metronome/click in this situation?

• Members

What about tracks that are not going to have a real rhythm part?

Let's say for example an ambient piece. Or a ballad.

What would you find useful as a metronome/click in this situation?

If it doesn't have a real rhythm part, then the part that I play defines the rhythm.

With Sonar, I can use the AudioSnap function to mark off beats, if I need other parts to follow.

Archived