Yet another reason why fame is over-rated.

Phil O'Keefe

• Members

Ken wrote the response I was going to offer. So here's another:

Yeah - they may have died young. However, didnt they have at least two years worth of fun for evey one they lived? Is the objective of life to live the longest regardless of quality? Wheres that Rick James album???;)

Also... many folks with mundane jobs are very stressed out and suffer the health impacts from that. So, If you're gonna be stressed out anyway you might as well be a rock star/ex rock star.

Besides, dontcha know that Elvis isnt really dead- nor Jim Morrioson.

Where ya been? ;)

• Members

Besides, dontcha know that Elvis isnt really dead- nor Jim Morrioson.

Where ya been?
;)

Elvis is performing in a bar in a distant solor system. I found this out when I read the "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" series.

It's in writing, so it must be true.

• Members

(the oldest book in the world)

That's interesting - - I had thrown the Ching a while back regarding what direction to go in my music.

And it said (paraphrased) that all my efforts went forth from within me, out to the world, like ripples in a pond - - and any efforts directed toward self aggrandizement would lead to failure, and efforts directed to perfecting my art would lead to success. :thu::thu:

• Members

I'm glad to see so many research dollars going to so worthwhile a cause as extending the life of rock stars and entertainers.

One must look at the funding source (at the bottom of the article). These people will manufacture whatever data they need to push their agenda. Again, 'figures don't lie, but liars do figure' becomes a de facto definition of statistical analysis.....

Do you suppose they'd have been as enthusiastic to publicize the results if the study had found Rock&Roll fame or (horrors!) drug usage made you live longer? My bet is 'no'.

• Members

Yeah - they may have died young. However, didnt they have at least two years worth of fun for evey one they lived? Is the objective of life to live the longest regardless of quality?

No - I'm with ya on that last part - but I don't necessarily think rock stars lead a "quality" life or have much fun, either. Some of them do, but a lot are just doing stuff they think is supposed to be fun but they're pretty miserable in reality. And then they don't know where to go from there - nobody's ever written a manual for what you do when you're rich and famous and find out it's not as great as everyone thinks it is. And there wouldn't be much of a market for such a book. :lol:

Mind you I'm not saying this happens to every rock star, but of those who died young, I wouldn't say most were having fun up to that point. Most of their deaths came after a very long painful physical and emotional slide.

• Members

The researchers found that between 1956 and 2005, 100 pop music stars had died. Their average age was 42 for North American stars and 35 for European stars. More than one in four died from long-term drug or alcohol problems, the researchers found.

But, for European stars who survived 25 years after achieving fame, their life expectancy returned to normal. North American pop stars, however, continued to suffer higher death rates. "The higher mortality in the rock business has elements about achieving fame, but also coping with obscurity," Bellis said.

I want to see this plotted against who has health insurance.

Somehow those Europeans seem to do better.

• Members

That's interesting - - I had thrown the Ching a while back regarding what direction to go in my music.

And it said (paraphrased) that all my efforts went forth from within me, out to the world, like ripples in a pond - - and any efforts directed toward self aggrandizement would lead to failure, and efforts directed to perfecting my art would lead to success.
:thu:
:thu:

I trust the I CHING implicitly.... It does not even know HOW to mislead you or tell you something incorrect.

Just me.

• Members

I'm glad to see so many research dollars going to so worthwhile a cause as extending the life of rock stars and entertainers.

I used to do some contract work for company called Immortech, Inc., whose sole purpose is to develop technologies (or rather methodologies) for extending the life of celebrities and public figures, on whom, to some extent, the stability of society depends, at least according to Immortech's Value Proposition. Now, when Russell Crowe suggested that Al Qaeda would target celebrities in an attempt to destabilize western culture, he was being just what he is: a ridiculous fool and a bad songwriter. The classic Immortech cocktail is little more than supplementation, physical therapy, some elaborate oxygen and UV-rich "incubators," and round the clock supervision, and believe me, many famous people have died on Immortech's watch. The Reagan and Bush I administrations were big on Immortech and retained them as a contractor to be engaged whenever some aged public figure was declared a "National Treasure" (NTC). These were heady times for Immortech, but because of Immortech's dubious track record, including several untimely political failures in eastern Europe and the pacific islands--the repubs ultimately had to distance themselves, and now Immortech is mining the new age markets with modest success--and under a different name.

• Members

whose sole purpose is to develop technologies (or rather methodologies) for extending the life of celebrities and public figures, on whom, to some extent, the stability of society depends, at least according to Immortech's Value Proposition.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Jeepers creepers!

Hey Magpel whadidya do for these guys?

Unless my satire radar is up the creek again . . .

• Members

http://users.bestweb.net/~kali93/jan2000/pelican.htm

"Pop Hinks Live (8:14, 991k) In 1989, President George Bush declared that little known legendary delta bluesman Albert "Pop" Hinks was a National Treasure, at which point the NTC engaged Immortech, Inc. to preserve Hinks' revenue-generating viability and liver. Unlike other less fortunate National Treasures (Hammy London, for example), and in spite of an aggressive pharmacologic regimen, Pop Hinks, Inc., died in 1997. The Magnificent Glass Pelican has captured on tape portions of the final concert by the man Howling Wolf once called "Who?" At this point in his career, Hinks was given to leisurely meditations on the paradoxes and elusive properties of the blues."

That's Funny :phil:

• Members

http://users.bestweb.net/~kali93/jan2000/pelican.htm

"Pop Hinks Live (8:14, 991k) In 1989, President George Bush declared that little known legendary delta bluesman Albert "Pop" Hinks was a National Treasure, at which point the NTC engaged Immortech, Inc. to preserve Hinks' revenue-generating viability and liver. Unlike other less fortunate National Treasures (Hammy London, for example), and in spite of an aggressive pharmacologic regimen, Pop Hinks, Inc., died in 1997. The Magnificent Glass Pelican has captured on tape portions of the final concert by the man Howling Wolf once called "Who?" At this point in his career, Hinks was given to leisurely meditations on the paradoxes and elusive properties of the blues."

That's Funny :phil:

Geezer! That's some good Googling there...:):thu:

• Members

I used to do some contract work for company called Immortech, Inc., whose sole purpose is to develop technologies (or rather methodologies) for extending the life of celebrities and public figures, on whom, to some extent, the stability of society depends, at least according to Immortech's Value Proposition. Now, when Russell Crowe suggested that Al Qaeda would target celebrities in an attempt to destabilize western culture, he was being just what he is: a ridiculous fool and a bad songwriter. The classic Immortech cocktail is little more than supplementation, physical therapy, some elaborate oxygen and UV-rich "incubators," and round the clock supervision, and believe me, many famous people have died on Immortech's watch. The Reagan and Bush I administrations were big on Immortech and retained them as a contractor to be engaged whenever some aged public figure was declared a "National Treasure" (NTC). These were heady times for Immortech, but because of Immortech's dubious track record, including several untimely political failures in eastern Europe and the pacific islands--the repubs ultimately had to distance themselves, and now Immortech is mining the new age markets with modest success--and under a different name.

So... do you suppose this will be the company that puts all those famous peoples heads in jars some day for Futurama? I guess somebody has to do it...

Archived