Backing up your work.

shniggens

• Members

Extra hard drive. If it doesn't cost much extra, get a "fast" one because you never know if you're going to end up using it later. I also back up to DVD-R.

In other words, important projects are on the working hard drive, are backed up to another hard drive, and are backed up to DVD-R.

I don't compress the data at all.

• Members

Three removable hard drives:

1 - sits idle in the caddy in my PC.

2 - is in my closet at home

3 - locked in my desk at work

I'll do a backup to #1, take is to work and trade it for that hard drive, take that one home and put it in the closet, take the one from the closet and stick it in the caddy.

Sort of like rotating your tires.

And remember - a backup is not a backup if it is stored in the same building as the original.

• Members

Extra hard drive. If it doesn't cost much extra, get a "fast" one because you never know if you're going to end up using it later. I also back up to DVD-R.

In other words, important projects are on the working hard drive, are backed up to another hard drive, and are backed up to DVD-R.

I don't compress the data at all.

Same here. Actually, I simply drag the project over to a backup drive at the end of every session - and projects that I work on over a period of time are dragged alternately to two different backup drives (so it's on a total of three drives during the course of the project). When the project is finished, I'll usually back it up to two different sets of dvds for long term storage and then delete them from the drives.

• Members

I didn't even think of an external hard drive. Duh.

Time to start shopping. Since it's only going to be for storage, I shouldn't need anything speedy, right? I can go cheap?

No need to be external unless you're out of room in the computer. An external drive will transfer slower than an internal.

• Members

I swear by external hard drives after a friend of mine backed his entire CD project to CDRs. He's really type-A so he meticulously labeled everything and organized them into the separate instrument tracks. A stack of CDs and every single one of them went bad because the labels he used (Neato) ate into the top layer of the CDRs and corrupted them. I'm not sure if Neato has gotten better but I know I won't take that chance. If I ever make a CDR or DVD backup, I never write on it no matter what the manufacturer claims. If anything, I'll write on the center part where no data is stored.

Archived