The Detroit Spinners - Rubberbandman

boosh

• Members

Another Funky track for ya guys,.....

Heard it on the radio driving in the sun today,...

Awesome!!! First hot day this year,..Girls walking in miniskirts already,..listening to the Spinners,...Feeling like a PIMP.

[YOUTUBE]ce8nfWyX7P4[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

A time when a big, aging, slightly overweight guy with a beard and horn rimmed glasses could front up a band, throw down some putatively sexy moves (if you're a forty-five year old secretary, watching, anyhow) and get a slug of hits.

And we thought the seventies were superficial.

[sigh]

;)

• Members

Thom Bell ruleszz...! :phil:

Hey kids, try playing along with "Rubberband Man" (on your axe, preferably with the original studio version).... the chord changes are too freakin' kewl for words.

The Spinners make me weak in the knees. :love::love::love::love: "Could It Be I'm Fallin' In Love" is probably in my Top Ten pop singles of all time, no joke.

NbpcJL5Vts8

I love that "double-stopped" drum style they made popular... Just listen to all the stuff "going on" in this record.... the strings, trumpets, trombones, congas, French horns, vibraphone, Wurlitzer piano, harpsichord, the girls singing in octaves, the "Wes Montgomery" style guitar playing...

This is the consummate fusion of European and African music traditions, to my way of thinking. The Spinners kinda "out-Motown'd Motown".

There is genuine emotional, thru-the-roof ecstasy going on in this record.... If we've lost anything, this is it.... to my ears, it comes from the Black church. But to the degree that Black gospel has been striated from the general Pop and R&B charts anymore......

• Moderators

"I'll Be Around" as well.

This... is our fork in the road

Our love's last episode

Yeah. Rubberband Man is cool. When I was growing up, this was the stuff the guys waxed their lowriders too. My nickname was "Whitey". I'd soak up all the soul music I could before I moved from LA and was "railroaded" into rock music via race based peer pressure. After high school I came to my senses and got back on board the Soooooul Train!

Soul music like this brings so many memories back. Mostly good ones. But sometimes, "Hey Whitey!. Get your skinny 10 year old ass the f$%k out here man!!"

As a 10 year old little white kid, I has a crush on Gladys Knight. I'm getting weepy...

• Members

Glad you guys are liking my youtube posts,...

I know you dig this {censored} but somehow it got pushed back in peoples minds,...

Music has get back to the roots,.... If you like I'll dig up some stuff now and then I post it.

I come across so many cool stuff on youtube which I want to share.

Booshy

• Members

Whenever I'd play these recordings for my high school classes (in 2001 or so, ie., the kids weren't even thought of when these records came out) some of the kids would get up and dance that silly finger-pointy dance that John Travolta does in SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER.... with much group hilarity ensuing.

The kids, I guess, have a hard time dissociating the excellent music with some of the sillier visual manifestations of that era.

10101897A~John-Travolta-Saturday-Night-F

• Members

I know you dig this {censored} but somehow it got pushed back in peoples minds,...

Music has get back to the roots.

But younger folks ARE interested in the Seventies, albeit their own concept of it, viz, this latest CD cover of Gwen Stefani all dolled-up as a Venice Beach rollerskating bunny, circa 1977.... (with her little "G" glyph she stole from Givenchy...)

B000JRYNXE.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

• Members

Okay, now....

Browsing some of the Spinners YouTube videos and I came across this one. The chick introduces the band... not a problem... then on the second song she performs a kickass duet with the lead singer for the Spinners (approximately 2:35 into the video). Who the heck is SHE???

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

I'll admit, the Spinners had a lot of great tunes back in the day. I used to watch them on "SOUL TRAIN" when I was a kid.

• Members

Dionne Warwick(e) did a duet with The Spinners in 1974, of course, called "Then Came You",

but you're probably referring to that excellent record "Games People Play". That girl did have a buttery, perfect voice. I dunno who she was....

The original was done with Dionne Warwick, but in the video above, the chick that announces the group steps in to fill the void in the absence of Dionne Warwick. She kicks ass.... who IS SHE??? She sort of reminds me of Bette Midler, but without the nose.

• Members

I have always been a fan of great harmonies and they really don't get much better than the soul groups of the '60s and '70's. In looking at my "inventory" I see that I have 30 songs by the Spinners on my computation device, mostly copied from old records that I bought when they came out. Great stuff, but I have this sudden urge to go buy some office supplies. ;)

• Members

In this YouTube video Spinners reunion show, they have a gentleman crooning that gorgeous falsetto part in "Games People Play"...

But I could swear that the voice on the
original
recording (35 years ago! ) was a woman's....

Never knew the Spinners to have a female member in the actual group... here's a video from Soul Train in 1975; Games People Play. The falsetto part is even more prominent in this one. Sounds even more like a woman.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Yeah she can sing... but for some reason T.Dayne never did it for me. Just something false about her projected persona, you know? And her songs were mediocre.

Cool! Thanks. I recognize several of her YouTube songs. I just really didn't remember the face or name. She's got some healthy vocal cords... and a lotta FUNK.

• Members

Yeah she can sing... but for some reason T.Dayne never did it for me. Just something
false
about her projected persona, you know? And her songs were mediocre.

I know what you mean. Occasionally, you could here her let down her facade during a song just for a second, and something real would come out. That's the singer I wanted to hear all the time.

js

• Members

Oh yeah, I grew up with all of that stuff...

If you thought that the chords in "Rubberband Man" were tricky, take a good listen to the changes in "Games People Play". I used to play keys in a Motown band that covered "Games People Play" and "I'll Be Around". Always had fun playing "Games People Play", especially the piano intro.

Archived